The discovery thread!
Dec 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #347 of 102,423

Quote:
Joe Bloggs, interesting post about eq but I have what may be a very naive question:  would home speakers/stereo benefit from eq in a similar way that you describe for headphones?  I have tried to improve my home system in the last year mainly by trying a couple of different speakers but nothing has really worked in a significant way. It is a tough room with cathedral ceiling and cutouts which I think are a big part of the problem.  Do you think eq could potentially make a large improvement?  Thanks.

Quote:
Speakers?  You can do better than EQ.  You can measure the impulse response of your speakers using a reference microphone and deconvolve the impulse response to cancel out all room effects at your listening sweet spot.  The result could be equivalent to thousands of dollars spent on room treatment.  I haven't done this myself since I don't have a speaker system good enough to do it on, but looking up "impulse measurement microphone" and "deconvolution" on google would point you in the right direction, I think.  You could try posting the question on the hydrogenaudio.org forums too, they have some very technically proficient people there.  Alternatively, I gather that some home theatre surround amplifiers carrry a limited form of this functionality in that you can buy measurement microphones for use with them, use them at your listening sweet spot and they will calculate some compensation parameters automatically.  What those compensations are I don't know; maybe it is indeed parametric equalization.

edit:  after some more reading I'm not sure that the home theatre amplifier auto-calibration does anything more than volume matching between different speakers at the sweet spot.  You're welcome to do your own research.  As for the SHE3580.  Try different tips and try pulling the right ear back with your left hand (from behind the head) while pushing in the right bud with your right hand, and vice versa for the left bud.  These should have enough bass for everybody and no bass is the first sign of a bad fit.

*if you want to discuss those speakers more, perhaps open a thread in the Computer Audio forum and post a link here?  That would be the most appropriate forum to expand on what you're asking.

Yes, any modern receiver of a decent quality includes a basic mic and an auto-calibration suite.  In general they correctly set individual speaker volume and distance, do multi-band (usually 10) parametric EQ filters (either by channel, individually, or the system as a whole), standing wave filters, and a lot of other stuff.  What all it does differs by brand and how far up the price tier you go. The difference it makes is really incredible. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #348 of 102,423

Quote:
Reminds me a little of the FX500 graph:

Interesting, its almost like someone took a machete and chopped off that peak in the upper mids lol, I definitely hear that, cymbal crashes and higher octave vocals sound kinda dull on the 3580 when compared to the FX500; otherwise they sound pretty similar signature wise. The 3580 dont quite have the great timbre, stage, and imaging of the FX500 either, but I guess I shoudnt be expecting them to :p

Also got my Isurus on Thurs like a lot of the guys here, theyve been getting a lot of ear time. Thought id hate the half in-ear deal from experience with the Hippo 10, but these dont really need an airtight seal; with Sony hybrids I can just pop them into my ear with no trouble and get good sound

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #351 of 102,423

Quote:
Hmmm, tbo I'm not so fond of what I'm hearing from the Isurus so far. These have too much and omnipresent bass for my taste, combined with rather thin and sharp highs. Not really my kind of sound sig, easily prefer the Philips 3580 so far.

Do a bit of tip-experimenting

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #353 of 102,423
Definitely preferred the Philips on first listen. I did find out the Philips tips fit on the Isurus if you force'em. I got a significantly better seal with those. It didn't solve the sibilance issue, but I found them much more comfortable and I feel like the bottom end filled out more. Tt seems to have more detail in the mids, although I'm not sure if it is that or the Philips receding the mids. The Philips are incredibly comfortable, I could wear these all day. Very pleased with the Philips and their very nice sub-bass so far. Soundstage does sound a bit more narrow than the Tts, though.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #354 of 102,423
Quote:
Have you heard the TF10s? They have a similar sound-sig IMO.

No I haven't. If they have a similar sound-sig, then I'm glad I have been spared.
wink.gif

Just joking of course, the Isurus aren't bad, especially for the price. But the Philips are even cheaper and sound better imo. You should give them a try.

Quote:
Do a bit of tip-experimenting

I already tried some things, but ime this kind of sound-sig is tricky to deal with. If you wear them with a loose seal to attenuate bass, the highs get even sharper. If you use hybrids to tame the highs, it adds to the bass bloat. Polar extremes, I'm afraid.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #355 of 102,423

Quote:
So are do those TT IEMs compare to Dsnuts hype or am I better off spending money on higher premium IEMs?

I got a pair of the Tt's in a nice, almost Ferrari, red.  They sound OK overall, won't make you rip them out in a minute, and are probably the most listenable of the el cheapo IEM's I have played around with.  Construction from the Y up looks like it could be iffy and I absolutely hate the asymmetric cable length between the Y and the buds themselves -- I never liked wearing one segment of cable behind my neck, although I understand why it is done.  

That said, these are by no means giant-killers and in no way do they begin to approach the higher tier IEM's as has been stated.  Some people believe what they want to believe in trying to get something for nothing. I own several better quality IEM's and not only do these fail to even begin approaching their performance, the Tt's will not even make it into my car's glove compartment or my tennis bag, which are the usual destination for lesser quality buds.  If you want something on the cheap that is listenable, these might suit you.  If you are more serious about your music and sound quality, you will quickly recognize them for what they are.  A passable, cheap pair of earphones.  

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #357 of 102,423
If you guys have Sony Hybrids this takes a bit off the highs.

1) stock big hole 2) monster foam 3) Sony hybrid 4) Fgured it out. These are the tips from the JVC HAFXC51s. Lol! ..
The JVC  tip on the right is the best sounding on the Isurus.  Smaller the hole the better the sound on them. Even though the monster tips have about the same sound hole as the Sony hybrids they actually amplify the sound a bit. The claim that monster tips give out more bass is true but also everything else as well so monster tips don't help in this regard.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #358 of 102,423

Quote:
Hmmm, tbo I'm not so fond of what I'm hearing from the Isurus so far. These have too much and omnipresent bass for my taste, combined with rather thin and sharp highs. Not really my kind of sound sig, easily prefer the Philips 3580 so far.

Yea, I also think I prefer the 3580 at this juncture.  I've got about 60 or 70 hours burn on the TT's, but I still find the sibilance to be way too much.  Unfortunately the only tips I have are those included as well as those of the SHE3580's.

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #360 of 102,423
forget about the isurus they are just ok to me, the phillips 3580 are in another galaxy, waaaaaaaaaaay better sounding all around. its wierd they give layers upon layers of sound, with no mixing of sound, clear, seperated, quick, goes low, goes high you name it she does it! i just wish the build was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back