The discovery thread!
Aug 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3,062 of 100,759
Quote:
Dont have the ckm500 so sorry

Time for you to get on it then, surprised you didn't get it yet.
tongue_smile.gif

Oh and I need them pics! Want me to lend you a camera? ha

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3,063 of 100,759
Still experimenting with the SHE3580... with the port next to the sound tube sealed and proper selection of tips giving airtight seal these are subbass monsters!  Since the stock SHE3580 measured flat down to 20Hz on goldenears I was skeptical that there was any gains to be had but playing The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul from the Star Wars TPM soundtrack it's like I'm hearing a whole new octave down at the bottom!  Those must be some subterrean depths these buds are plumbing now!  Isolation has also improved somewhat.  The downside is that there is now significant driver flex so that I have to pull on an ear with one hand while inserting with the other hand to avoid driver flex and I get driver flex whenever I press on a bud after it's sealed, it's like driver flex is now indication of proper seal
redface.gif
I also sometimes get this feeling of a vacuum or pressure around my ear depending on my head and jaw movements.

To rickdohc who requested pictures:  there's nothing much to photograph, it's just a hole that's been sealed with superglue (I still settled with superglue instead of hot glue in the end).  Depending on how cleanly you do it you just see a sealed hole (maybe white from dried superglue) that's covered when you put on the tips anyway.  The solution I found for the runny superglue problem is to leave the cap off your jelly-type superglue for a while (if the glue is runny) until it starts drying.  You probably need to glue a hole once, wait for it to dry then glue it again to completely seal a hole.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #3,067 of 100,759
Quote:
Still experimenting with the SHE3580... with the port next to the sound tube sealed and proper selection of tips giving airtight seal these are subbass monsters!  Since the stock SHE3580 measured flat down to 20Hz on goldenears I was skeptical that there was any gains to be had but playing The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul from the Star Wars TPM soundtrack it's like I'm hearing a whole new octave down at the bottom!  Those must be some subterrean depths these buds are plumbing now!  Isolation has also improved somewhat.  The downside is that there is now significant driver flex so that I have to pull on an ear with one hand while inserting with the other hand to avoid driver flex and I get driver flex whenever I press on a bud after it's sealed, it's like driver flex is now indication of proper seal
redface.gif
I also sometimes get this feeling of a vacuum or pressure around my ear depending on my head and jaw movements.

To rickdohc who requested pictures:  there's nothing much to photograph, it's just a hole that's been sealed with superglue (I still settled with superglue instead of hot glue in the end).  Depending on how cleanly you do it you just see a sealed hole (maybe white from dried superglue) that's covered when you put on the tips anyway.  The solution I found for the runny superglue problem is to leave the cap off your jelly-type superglue for a while (if the glue is runny) until it starts drying.  You probably need to glue a hole once, wait for it to dry then glue it again to completely seal a hole.

I can imagine how these would now sound similar to these.

She9750.  The bassiest of the bassy Philips earphones.  Unfortunately the sound is not all that great on these. Way too much bass and a closed in sound make them too warm and mushy.. These were supposed to be the upgrades to the SHE9700.. Philips decided to focus on bass and not much else on these supposed upgrades to the SH9700.. These would be a down grade to even the SHE3580.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,070 of 100,759
Quote:
I can imagine how these would now sound similar to these.

She9750.  The bassiest of the bassy Philips earphones.  Unfortunately the sound is not all that great on these. Way too much bass and a closed in sound make them too warm and mushy.. These were supposed to be the upgrades to the SHE9700.. Philips decided to focus on bass and not much else on these supposed upgrades to the SH9700.. These would be a down grade to even the SHE3580.

Yes well in the normal scheme of things I would have no use for more bass from the SHE3580 as I find the stock sound more than bassy enough.  But as I mention everytime someone would listen, I EQ them using a parametric equalizer:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

And they sound pretty much exactly however I want them to sound, but I wanted to see if I could get more bass extension out of them.  I could just boost the subbass frequency in EQ but I'm thinking that would drive the drivers into distortion, what with them trying to fill the ear canal with sound pressure when there's a gaping hole to the side.

I started experimenting with modding because after getting the ety mc3 I thought I'd use them more than the Philips on the move, so I didn't need a 10 years' supply of stock SHE3580s to go with my pre-EQed library of mp3s anymore, lol.  After this mod, well, let's say, another pair of etys may well be sitting in a drawer gathering dust--if I didn't put them in a pouch this time! lol

Plugging the hole and getting an airtight seal with the appropriate tips has been an awesome experience for me so far.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #3,071 of 100,759
Quote:
Do you know what's better then all the cheapie bass earphones are.....its the xb90ex,trust me everyone just save all your money and buy them instead of buying alot of cheap ones.
First impression is omg :O
where is this amazing sound come from.....and this is without burn-in, using my s545(sony) mp3 player just to test it out, i played some psytrance.
first thing is the weight of the headphones....very light ,then the fit which is perfect for me.
The first thing in the sound sig is the bass which the headphones are intended for, the sub region is the strongest part while the mid bass region is 25% less..to describe it better.....its like a audiophile grade sub sound with elevate sub bass that rumbles like crazy and a powerful accurate mid bass slam which hits hard and fast....next is the mid which i really love, they are on the same level as the sub which and because the mid bass is small in quantity, there is this warm but clear vocal and instrument production.mids are also airy as with the bass(very 3-Dish type).the treble is accurate and sparkly(while not on the level of carbon nanotube) .

yea, i know, i could dump big cash and buy me some westones or whatevers but wheres the fun?  i am starting this hobbie with all these cheapies, then i will move up to the 30-50 prices, and so on.  its about the journey, not the destination
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3,072 of 100,759
Quote:
soon.........................got too much to handle as we speak, over $100 for an IEM is a lot to spend for me, but it seems like these sonys are worth every penny. Not in a rush, so gonna wait for them stateside and cop then if they get cheaper. Wish listed for sure, too much to bite all at once right now. DEM CARBON NANOTUBES FTW! LoL

Dear Sweet Lord Baby Jesus

i spent almost all night, only slept like 4 hours, listening my Fx40.. man, these little things are amazing man.

dont know if this is something common on this range price, but they sound better with lower volume, this drivers are fast and the music is tight, fast, a lot of details, its like hearing in 3D!!
L3000.gif

i dont miss the boomy bass, at first it was strange comming from a bunch of "bass heavies" iem`s .. bass?  what bass? who cares about bass when you are not hearing details, clarity and definition?  this got the perfect bass.

throw them anything,  rock, trance, clasic rock, MJ even SALSA, yes!  salsa!!  blown away with salsa fromo Marc Anthony.

Switched to my Fx101 and 3580 and.. SORRY GUYS i hope you guys dont hate me because i loved my 3580, but they sound cheap, Fx101? sounds like some kind of toy with a lot of bass.

See my signature?  all those iems are 2 , 3 or even more steps behind,  ooo i am gonna stop rambling,  on my way to ripp my Ratt Cd to Flac Files!!!
atsmile.gif

CARBON NANOTUBES FTW!!!

FX40 aproching to the 500 hours of burn in mark

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,074 of 100,759
Yes the sonys are that amazing but now there on the burn.....the fx40s are still my fave.... dem amazing nanotube are crazy fast and hyer detailed for there price.it surely sounds better the all my cheap earphone and headphones :p...oh also my 40s have 500 hrs on them with filter removed.....and im guessing for the 80s they probably need at least 800 hrs to sound perfect,but i only have 300 hrs on them.....oh also i but so meelec variety pack of eartips and they ares much better tbem the avuio tips....using the small tri flange tips on the fx40s and loving them and using monster tri flange on the 80s....plan on getting the balanced tip set. :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,075 of 100,759
Quote:

yea, i know, i could dump big cash and buy me some westones or whatevers but wheres the fun?  i am starting this hobbie with all these cheapies, then i will move up to the 30-50 prices, and so on.  its about the journey, not the destination
biggrin.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bravo!!! Was listening to my FX40s last night and it's still freaking me out on how amazing they sound, it out classes the FX101 for sure, but the FX101s are for bass lover, so I can dig. 

@ Joe Bloggs or anyone with insight, can you explain to me what "driver flex" is and what it entails? Came across this term a couple of times and looked it up but the explanations were kinda unclear/ too technical, etc.  Can you put it in laymen terms? Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back