The discovery thread!
Mar 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #22,681 of 99,904

Yeah I've read about some issues with the build quality of the RE-400... but I also heard that their customer service was great at replacing them if anything happened. The TE-05 definitely looks more solidly built though, might just be smarter to pay the extra money so I don't have to deal with helping her calling HiFiMAN for a replacement later.

LOL sorry to disappoint ya hahaha. Just a huge fan of hers 
tongue.gif

^ haha yeah BOA's nice.
cool.gif
Just don't go watch that dancing teen pop movie she's in. LMAO

She needs to do more collabs with real hip hop artist/ producers tbh. Her track with The Quiett for some random commercial was pretty nice. :)

The TE-05 makes for a much more impressive presentation that's for sure due their solid built/ detachable cables, and they seem to perform much better than the RE-400s as well, some even claim bests the gr07 BEs, etc etc. haha That alone seems to be worth the extra for me cuz dealing with an iem that might fall apart on ya' just leaves a bad impression esp. if they are for gifting. : P

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #22,682 of 99,904
^ haha yeah BOA's nice.
cool.gif
Just don't go watch that dancing teen pop movie she's in. LMAO

She needs to do more collabs with real hip hop artist/ producers tbh. Her track with The Quiett for some random commercial was pretty nice. :)

The TE-05 makes for a much more impressive presentation that's for sure due their solid built/ detachable cables, and they seem to perform much better than the RE-400s as well, some even claim bests the gr07 BEs, etc etc. haha That alone seems to be worth the extra for me cuz dealing with an iem that might fall apart on ya' just leaves a bad impression esp. if they are for gifting. : P

I gotta watch it cuz she's the only artist I could call myself a fanboy of LOL. Been following her for a decade already. The story will most likely be terrible but I just wanna see her dance haha. Yeahh I liked that track a lot, was very catchy and the bass sounds great out of my Heaven V 
L3000.gif

Yeah that Japanese craftsmanship is always top notch. I might just get the TE-05 cuz I kinda wanna audition them myself hehe 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #22,686 of 99,904

I gotta watch it cuz she's the only artist I could call myself a fanboy of LOL. Been following her for a decade already. The story will most likely be terrible but I just wanna see her dance haha. Yeahh I liked that track a lot, was very catchy and the bass sounds great out of my Heaven V 
L3000.gif

Yeah that Japanese craftsmanship is always top notch. I might just get the TE-05 cuz I kinda wanna audition them myself hehe 
biggrin.gif

^ DLed it, tried to watch it, but couldn't get myself to sit through it, so just skipped to the dancing parts and was done with it.  : P

Doesn't seem THAT bad but the story is fo' sho a generic one, so yeah....... but what you expect. haha

Not all Jpn craftsmanship is top notch, majority is made in chinaman anyways but design wise they sure got a couple of legs ups. ATH iem cables can be utterly horrid, and the majority still don't have detachable cables but it seems that trend is changing fast now. ATHs/ even JVCs new lineups all have detachable cables now which is pretty sweet.

Could this be the doing/ influence of the popularity of beats cans??? LMAO

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #22,687 of 99,904
Didn't saw much about astrotec ax30/35 on forums, anybody that have them can comment a little about them? Are they worth the price or can compete with established IEMs?

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #22,688 of 99,904
TE-05 is worth the upgrade in price and more over the RE-400's. IMO of course.

^and with that I'm caving and getting her the TE-05 haha. Out of curiosity, would you say that the TE-05 is the best IEM for $150 and under? Seems like it was able to hold up to the Heaven V in your comparison, which I already feel is amazing for it's price. The Carbo Doppio seems to be great too though and is just a bit cheaper than the TE-05.

^ DLed it, tried to watch it, but couldn't get myself to sit through it, so just skipped to the dancing parts and was done with it.  : P

Doesn't seem THAT bad but the story is fo' sho a generic one, so yeah....... but what you expect. haha

Not all Jpn craftsmanship is top notch, majority is made in chinaman anyways but design wise they sure got a couple of legs ups. ATH iem cables can be utterly horrid, and the majority still don't have detachable cables but it seems that trend is changing fast now. ATHs/ even JVCs new lineups all have detachable cables now which is pretty sweet.

Could this be the doing/ influence of the popularity of beats cans??? LMAO

I'll be happy if the story is at least halfway decent, generic or not haha.

Hmm true but at least all the headphones actually made IN Japan have outstanding build quality. And I still think Japanese companies have better quality control than Chinese ones in general, although I'm sure there are exceptions. Yeah looks like those Japanese companies are finally catching on with the cables, about time!

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #22,690 of 99,904
^and with that I'm caving and getting her the TE-05 haha. Out of curiosity, would you say that the TE-05 is the best IEM for $150 and under? Seems like it was able to hold up to the Heaven V in your comparison, which I already feel is amazing for it's price. The Carbo Doppio seems to be great too though and is just a bit cheaper than the TE-05.

I haven't listened to the Doppio in awhile but the TE-05 is equal or possibly better since it had that dynamic quality yet has the speed of a BA. I can safely say that the TE-05 is the best in the sub-$200 category or even a little higher. It does everything right like the V does for me but presented very differently.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #22,691 of 99,904
Originally Posted by DannyBai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't listened to the Doppio in awhile but the TE-05 is equal or possibly better since it had that dynamic quality yet has the speed of a BA. I can safely say that the TE-05 is the best in the sub-$200 category or even a little higher. It does everything right like the V does for me but presented very differently.

Seems like the TE-05 will be a great investment, thanks!

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #22,693 of 99,904
  mochill/Dsnuts, where are the HA-FX850 made? Japan or China?

China.. The best craftsmanship I have ever seen.. No kidding. They are like audio art in the ears .

I have lots of updates but I think at this point I am gonna save my thoughts on them until the write up..

All I am gonna say is..@ Dweaver.. You asked me if I preferred my SRH1540 or the FX850.. I now prefer my FX850s..When a sound sticks to you and your thinking about it when you get up. When your away from them..Eager to hear them again at every opportunity..Ya I can't deny it.. These FX850s is audio Crack.. I need more and more or I go through withdraw.. My SRH1540 never did this to me nor my H3s.. I am hooked.. I think I found my ideal sound in an earphone..
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #22,694 of 99,904

China.. The best craftsmanship I have ever seen.. No kidding. They are like audio art in the ears .

I have lots of updates but I think at this point I am gonna save my thoughts on them until the write up..

All I am gonna say is..@ Dweaver.. You asked me if I preferred my SRH1540 or the FX850.. I now prefer my FX850s..

Oooh, them's fighting words!

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #22,695 of 99,904
^ HOW 'BOUT DEM TEAC ZE-1000.
normal_smile%20.gif

The ATH IM70s is probably the best for gifting tbh, but the TE-05 would be amazing no doubt if you can stretch your budget.

+

Have the AT's and Gratitudes, like both, won't go wrong, I'd lean toward the Gratitudes, big fan of them...if you give the TE-05, you're the best sister EVER!!!! (got them on order so can't comment on sound yet).

OK, gotta crash...listen to sweet tunes thru w3 tonight, night night...

She doesn't like the look of the ATs and Gratitudes that much so I think we're deciding between the TE-05 and RE-400. But just curious, could you give me a quick comparison between the IM70 and Gratitudes? I'm actually a guy but that's okay hahaha.

You should factor in the different fits with those. The Hifiman are very small and comfortable, can be worn down as well as up, the Gratitudes are quite big and long (the reason I sold mine), the ATs are quite big and bulky and have memory wire, and the FAD are comfortable and worn down, but with quite long barrels that may necessitate deeper insertion than she would like. All that should be taken into account as well as the sonic aspects.

Yeah comfort is really important so the RE-400 is high up on the list. She doesn't like the vacuum effect that my Heaven V has so the FAD is out.

True, the Gratitudes are long, stick out a bit. I don't find it much of a problem, can get a good fit and seal better than many other iems. Hard to know how these things will work for others, though, but I haven't seen too many posts of people hating and getting rid of them for that reason.

Yeah I didn't like how the Gratitudes fit so I'm probably gonna rule those out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Looks like we're choosing between the RE-400 and TE-05 at this point. Can anyone give me a detailed comparison between the two covering highs, mids, lows, soundstage, imaging, clarity, detail, build quality, accessories, etc.? Trying to see if it's worth spending the extra $60-70 on the TE-05.

Ooops, should know better, almost no females on Head-Fi, stupid assumption (and this has come up before as well, you posted about getting something for your sister, no?). My apologies (though, you'll be the best SIBLING ever!!!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back