The discovery thread!
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #22,712 of 99,901
Yup doc! How do you do that?

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #22,714 of 99,901
WEll, I've always had the habit of leaning my head on my arm, which curls around my eyes, and the arm leans on the pillow when sleeping on my side (which is how I always sleep). Think it started as a way of keeping light out of my eyes in the morning (must have had crummy shades in my room as a child). When I have larger iems, that go out further, just lean the upper part of my head on my arm, which is on the lowest part of the pillow, which keeps my ear elevated off the pillow. Comes from years of sleeping this way, not sure if you can pick it up as an adult, but maybe...
Having said that, The iems that are the most comfortable to sleep in are the, that I have, are the Westones (W3, W4, W40 are the ones I've used). Amazingly flat in-ear fit, comfortable, great isolation. You may like others better sound wise, (but they really do sound great), but of the ones I have, whch is much too many, they are the ones easiest to forget when they are in (of course, many out there I haven't tried).
May give sleeping in iem classes, love to teach:D

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #22,716 of 99,901
I have the MA 750, too much stuff, too quick, have to pull them out and listen some more. They are shaped in such a way that they are flat, should be fairly good for sleeping (but I've always had trouble with seal with them, shallow insertion, ear bud wannabe iems give me trouble in general.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #22,717 of 99,901
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #22,718 of 99,901
WEll, I've always had the habit of leaning my head on my arm, which curls around my eyes, and the arm leans on the pillow when sleeping on my side (which is how I always sleep). Think it started as a way of keeping light out of my eyes in the morning (must have had crummy shades in my room as a child). When I have larger iems, that go out further, just lean the upper part of my head on my arm, which is on the lowest part of the pillow, which keeps my ear elevated off the pillow. Comes from years of sleeping this way, not sure if you can pick it up as an adult, but maybe...
Having said that, The iems that are the most comfortable to sleep in are the, that I have, are the Westones (W3, W4, W40 are the ones I've used). Amazingly flat in-ear fit, comfortable, great isolation. You may like others better sound wise, (but they really do sound great), but of the ones I have, whch is much too many, they are the ones easiest to forget when they are in (of course, many out there I haven't tried).

Would give it a go thanks! 
Sleeping in iem classes! Keen student here haha 

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #22,719 of 99,901
Vsd1 very good for sleeping on side (not my head lol)

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #22,720 of 99,901
1+ Dunu 1K

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #22,721 of 99,901

hahaha, I use the exact same technique to sleep with my XB90EX-s it's just a bit uncomfortable in the long run - hands get tired :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #22,722 of 99,901
Actually, if any earphone has taught me about burn in being real (although I already knew), it's ironically a BA earphone. I heard absolutely no bass to speak of the first couple of days with the Doppio. Now there's bass (and a fuller sound) in spades. It has become my favorite universal all-BA earphone (even beating the might W4 to my ears). 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #22,723 of 99,901
  Actually, if any earphone has taught me about burn in being real (although I already knew), it's ironically a BA earphone. I heard absolutely no bass to speak of the first couple of days with the Doppio. Now there's bass (and a fuller sound) in spades. It has become my favorite universal all-BA earphone (even beating the might W4 to my ears). 

It's both real and myth. Each piece of equipment responds differently. Some do, some don't. The fact nothing ever burns in "worse" leaves a lot to myth. I've given away headphones with 300+ hours on them that people believed "burned in" after awhile. The same can be said when "burning in" a Plasma TV.

The Mikros 90 is the only headphone that I've been able to re-produce a noticeable burn in change with, so complete naysayers are wrong too.

With the amount of money spent on audio equipment to satisfy us, no harm in doing it anyway. I'm just glad there are BA sets out there with actual bass.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #22,724 of 99,901
  It's both real and myth. Each piece of equipment responds differently. Some do, some don't. The fact nothing ever burns in "worse" leaves a lot to myth. I've given away headphones with 300+ hours on them that people believed "burned in" after awhile. The same can be said when "burning in" a Plasma TV.

ES-700 has burned in "worse".
Every time I try them after a few weeks of complete rest, I enjoy them tremendously for a few minutes until the driver warms up - and I put them away again.

When someone listens to a fully burned in headphone, they still need to complete the mental burnin, which is just as important.
The brain has to adjust to deciphering the sound clues differently.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #22,725 of 99,901
I also believe that burn-in is both real and a myth. I believe that the amount a headphone can change is not as substantial as a lot of people make it out to be. This is why I use both the term technical burn-in (burn-in of the device) and brain burn-in (burn-in of the mind). I believe that most of the substantial changes are mostly taking place in the brain either by placebo or your mind just adjusting to the sound.

That doesn't mean I don't believe in technical burn-in. I do believe that headphone sound can change the longer that you use a device. I believe that the bass can open up, I believe that the mid-range & treble can soften. I don't believe that treble can expand during burn-in or that bass can hit lower after burn-in. That just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like saying "I've used this kitchen knife so much that it has grown an inch and become sharper than when I first got it." The changes are noticeable but not to the degree some people believe. I also don't believe that burn-in is good all the time. Blunt treble can be dulled even more during burn-in. Nice mid-bass can sometimes loss it's omph. If there is any type of headphone I believe could actually have huge gains from burn-in over time it would be ones made of wood for the same reason that violins have their sound changed overtime as the waves etch themselves into the wood of the instrument.

Actually, I find tip rolling is grounded far more in the realm of science. With tip rolling you're changing the way the sound is presented to you. If your headphones come with narrow tips and you place a pair of wide-bore tips on them than obviously that is going to change the way the headphones sound. I still burn-in just in case the headphones do gain something from it. No harm, no foul. Just builds the anticipation and suspense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back