The discovery thread!
Mar 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #22,651 of 100,041
They're great for workouts, sturdy cable and very light weighted housings. The housing are really small (xs), you can also get them with a mic for either Android or that other brand :wink:

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #22,652 of 100,041
I enjoy the 323 XS as well quite a bit. They are just too small for my ears, and they won't get much play time with all the new stuff I've got coming in to try. They are very similar to the Somic MH415 I picked up not too long ago, but the Somic is detachable and sounds just as good, if not better.

I'd knock off a few bucks if someone from head-fi wanted them through the classifieds here and not through ebay. Definitely a steal.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #22,653 of 100,041
  I have both.  HPH-200 has a lot more bass quantity than Mikros 90, but doesn't sound as detailed.  This is straight out of laptop.  If amped, from what I've read, it would seem that Mikros 90 is better.

I'm still burning in both before I decide which one I like more for my music genres (pop and rock).

did you hear the UE 600 by any chance? they get decent reviews...

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #22,654 of 100,041
Just because I had an itch to try something new with no budget I picked up a pair of Sony MDR EX100 today and the 323 slays them in musicality and detail. The EX100 are good if you want a smooth relaxed sound and prefer a simpler insertion due to the offset tips. But at $27 the 323 has a bit more bass that is more resolving and tight, similar mids in regard to position but better detail, and cleaner more articulate treble. The only people who should avoid the 323 would be anyone who hates any grain of any kind and does not like any sharpness to the treble. Also the cable while shorter is also better quality on the 323. The Sony does come with more tips though that are more comfortable and a small cord winding plastic thingy.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #22,656 of 100,041
OK, back to Dogwalk Discoveries, Pt 2: I'm no Hip Hop expert, but seems to me Kanye West is among the most original Hip Hop artists...the things he puts together are amazing (did I mention he's incredibly foul mouthed...)

Y'know, after listening to the lyrics Kanye spouts, which are acceptable for pop music todays, the post I removed earlier seems much tamer, here it is...The Clovers from 1954. If you listen and don't pay attention to the lyrics, it could be proto-doo wop, which I guess it is: The Clovers went on to heve many hits, the most famous "Love Potion #9". I love this!!!

Lastly, Petra Haden, doing a multi-tracked (of herself singing), accapella version of the Superman theme, including lyrics...

Last one for now, since we're on an accapella roll, 1 more Petra Haden cover, the Who, all parts sung by Petra, big hit in the late 60's

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #22,657 of 100,041
OK, back to Dogwalk Discoveries, Pt 2: I'm no Hip Hop expert, but seems to me Kanye West is among the most original Hip Hop artists...the things he puts together are amazing (did I mention he's incredibly foul mouthed...)

Y'know, after listening to the lyrics Kanye spouts, which are acceptable for pop music todays, the post I removed earlier seems much tamer, here it is...

^
... a good producer yes, and an average at best rapper but is wayyyyyy overrated. Don't get the hype on the dood tbh. His best stuff for me was his 1st couple of albums, now is just twi-hard meh stuff.

... so damn creative with it. O.O

... Happy holidayz. : P

... this MV i can't even..... so BOSS!!!
cool.gif

.... nuff said. T_T

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #22,658 of 100,041
Dontbknow bout that, SF, certainly no Hip Hop expert, but the things he throws together, to my ears, are just incredible (if that's just being producer, OK, but I think that is where the music is at...). Having grown up with pop CLASSICS like "Yummy YummyYummy, I Got Love In My Tummy", "Surfing' Bird" (one of the best songs ever written...ask Family Guy), "Blue Suede Shoes" (I could go on for hours), I can dig great music even if the lyric is lame (to a point...). Have a harder time if that's reversed...great lyrics with boring music. Usually can't get a handle on it without something good happening in the music.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #22,659 of 100,041
Dontbknow bout that, SF, certainly no Hip Hop expert, but the things he throws together, to my ears, are just incredible (if that's just being producer, OK, but I think that is where the music is at...). Having grown up with pop CLASSICS like "Yummy YummyYummy, I Got Love In My Tummy", "Surfing' Bird" (one of the best songs ever written...ask Family Guy), "Blue Suede Shoes" (I could go on for hours), I can dig great music even if the lyric is lame (to a point...). Have a harder time if that's reversed...great lyrics with boring music. Usually can't get a handle on it without something good happening in the music.

^ The guy is no doubt a good producer (although still overrated there), but at rapping ehhh no. But he does know how to mix it up and create buzz/ controversy if you will, hence why all the media play/ hype on him. It is true that he knows how to package his stuff and appeal to the mainstream masses, so his style is more "pop rap" that can be more easily digested by the mainstream. 

But there are TONs of more talented artists worldwide that are MUCH MUCH better than him that can rap as well as produce. It's just that mainstream media doesn't really appreciate true talent but simply over hype certain "artists" due to their supposed clout/ fame, etc.  El-P for example is an amazing producer and rapper yet doesn't remotely  get as much love/ shine as most wack mainstream acts, and same goes for underground atcs such as The Quiett from Korea. 

So in essence i kinda agree with you there doc that Kanye is unique by "pop" standards but it is not that high of a standard anyways so......

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #22,660 of 100,041
Really dig the posts, SF...but makes my point to some extent...hard to know how good the rapping is in the non English (Korean?) tracks, though the mix with English is fun, and they certainly are sharp rhythmically. Really liked Leessang, but seemed to me more pop with rap spicing (most kiddie pop groups sport a rapper to make the squeaky clean music more street). The Christmas one sported interesting message and attitude. But the backing tracks all sounded to me like they could have been done in the 80's (not a bad thing, great sounds, but makes a musical mind who doesn't just throw a rap over Chic background tracks of mo interest (hey, but I mostly listen to jazz, alternative, Americana, so I'm no expert, and wouldn't claim to be...)
Fun listen, love hearing tracks that people find speak to them!

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #22,661 of 100,041
Typing on an iPad, which is slow as s***, so you beat me to the next post, but I'll check out the artists you mentioned...

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #22,662 of 100,041
Listened to EE-P and The Quiett on YouTube,heavy beats, pretty cool, like them..

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #22,663 of 100,041
how would the 323 compare to other budget phones?... say the pistons?
sorry I have not tried that IEM. I would say it is better than the few JVC's I have owned Luke the FXT90, FX40, plus thew few lower end Sony's I have owned.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #22,664 of 100,041
So my sister's birthday is coming up soon and she wants a new pair of IEMs. What are the recommendations for the best around $100 or less? Right now I'm considering the RE-400, Monster Gratitude, ATH-IM70/50, and FAD Heaven II. I'm tentatively thinking about getting her the Fostex TE-05 but that's a bit more expensive. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #22,665 of 100,041
Typing on an iPad, which is slow as s***, so you beat me to the next post, but I'll check out the artists you mentioned...

^ haha no worries..................

Quote:
Really dig the posts, SF...but makes my point to some extent...hard to know how good the rapping is in the non English (Korean?) tracks, though the mix with English is fun, and they certainly are sharp rhythmically. Really liked Leessang, but seemed to me more pop with rap spicing (most kiddie pop groups sport a rapper to make the squeaky clean music more street). The Christmas one sported interesting message and attitude. But the backing tracks all sounded to me like they could have been done in the 80's (not a bad thing, great sounds, but makes a musical mind who doesn't just throw a rap over Chic background tracks of mo interest (hey, but I mostly listen to jazz, alternative, Americana, so I'm no expert, and wouldn't claim to be...)
Fun listen, love hearing tracks that people find speak to them!

^ See doc that is what's so great about music cuz it literally transcends ANY and ALL barriers, ie: language, racial, religious, etc etc. Hey i don't understand a word of Korean myself but if i hear good schiit that has passion and comes from the soul that speaks to me i don't care what genre, language or whatever it is. Good music is good music and is simple as that. haha

And yeppp Leesang is more mainstream pop rap in style and they are crazy popular in Korean despite having their roots in underground Korean Hip Hop scene. But their music is more like spoken word/ poetry in kpop format. You gonna make a living somehow and spitting that boring spoken word/ poetry ain't gonna pay the bills. : P

Not really taking it too seriously and am not even a fan of this dood, but he seems to be swaggering the Fff out.... LMAO
.... Swings is killin' it of late, might even have to DL his latest stuff. haha
triportsad.gif
Great MV and production value tbh.

Oh man doc you has got to check out Loptimist, the guy is CRAZY with the productions cuz it's like a mix of Latin jazz, salsa, and all sorts of genres. Probably not the best track from him but there are English verses in it. haha

Oh man and this one you can just feel it's from the gut, dat passion!!!

See this is why i guess i love hip hop so much cuz it's literally like a fusion of EVERY genre and nothing is off limits. This Bruce Lee's quote says it best:

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless - like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into bottle, it becomes the bottle....... Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."  : P

PREACH!!! Hip hop is nothing yet is everything.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back