The discovery thread!
Feb 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #22,606 of 100,019
  Hold the press!!

On open listen it is the most spacious sounding earphones I have ever heard.. These are simply dreamy sounding. I knew these would sound good but I had no idea to what extent. I have had plenty of WOW moments on open listens of phones but I don't recall one that left me slack jawed like this one. These are stunning in every way possible. These are absolutely beautiful in person but the sound. I have them on the burn in and I will do a proper write up but for now. I highly doubt guys will dislike this sound. It is the best totalphile phone I have ever heard.  These phones so far has it all and then throws the deepest widest stage with the most spacious sound leaving one..

Slack Jawed! Stunning just stunning.

Oh no.... my wallet screaming... "stay away from this post... !"

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #22,607 of 100,019

Look at the big size of the housing.  All that space for one high end driver.. You can imagine how that is gonna sound. I am convinced that larger housing using chambers with metal inlay in them. These use brass I believe. Leads to this large deep sound then it is vented out back..  CKS1Ks also has these traits because of the dual air chambers they use...These JVCs however take it to another level. 

When I was comparing my full sized SRH1540s I was very surprised the stage of the FX850 was not noticeably narrower than the Shure headphones. Lol. And those don't have a small stage..

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #22,608 of 100,019

Oh no.... my wallet screaming... "stay away from this post... !

These would be your ideal out and about earphones. These sound like what you would get if you was driving some very nice woodie cans from a warm tubby amp with lots of power. . Bad to the bone!!. People will be jealous of your woddies!

One new observation. I noticed the tips on these FX850s are brand new in design for JVC. These are not the same tips they used for the FXZ and many other JVC iems. The sound nozzle is fairly wide for an iem and these tips lines up perfectly with how wide the nozzle is so it seems to me JVC did not pull a Sony in the one hybrid tip fits all for every earphone they make category. No need for tip rolling at all. Included with a nice hard box case with memory foam inlay are 2 sets of foams tips with the standard sized silicones. These earphones are luxury wooden high end iem looking bad mumbo jumbos. They put a lot of attention to detail on these. My vote for the coolest looking iems this year. No picture can do the real deal justice. Oh and they sound better than they look.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #22,609 of 100,019
nice.. i dont think those housing will work for me since i use mine mainly in bed and to sleep. Thanks DS!

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #22,610 of 100,019

The SRH1540s are my reference for deep involved sound so I just did a quick comparison. Sound signatures are similar. Both have a deep and wide sound given their limitations. Shures being full sized closed while the JVCs are closed and vented in ears.

The FX850 sounds a bit more forward but has an equal amount of expansive stage and lesser depth of the SRH1540. The SRH1540 has more dimensionality to the sounds. The sounds are more layered in presentation a clear frontal mid and background stage can be perceived on these. The H3 also has this dimensionality to a lesser degree.  The FX850 given there single dynamic does a good job with dimensionality but is not as good in this area of sound,  while a touch more forward in sound does not have as much layering as the SRH1540. This is in comparison to the most musical full sized cans I own so the earphones do show a bit of limitations especially when comparing the stage.. JVCs are completely involving and are one of the if not the most expansive sounds I have heard for an iem however. 

Timbre detail is more precise on the FX850 a bit more treble vs the SRH1540. Both have excellent non strident treble. I want to give the better extension in the highs to the JVCs.  JVCs take a back seat to the mids of the SRH1540 however but not by much. The Shures are very smooth sounding a trademark of Shure sound I feel the JVCs also present with one of the more smoother sounds for an iem.  Both has lush mids. Where the JVCs win out clearly for me at least is the fact that I can take this sound where ever I go.. Both present bass in a similar manor and at similar levels. Bold with much body and texture when called for and completely gone when not. 

Overnight burn in actually and the sound is not as warm as I heard on open box. The sound seems to be tightening up. I am hearing a touch more upper mid and treble presence since open as the overall sound is tightening up. Which would explain why it does not sound as warm..Back to the burner. 

It would be tough to choose one over the other to be honest. I like both of them quite a bit. The SRH1540 is not really a portable can however and the JVCs need no amp to sound like they do the SRH1540 in an amp will separate themselves with everything I own so that is the difference right there.

As always, very nice impression!
It looks like JVC still retaining their natural V-shape house sound on FX850, which I like a lot for classical music.

One question, how's the FX850 bass volume compared to Shure SRH1540 bass?  
I found SRH1540 bass is very good, and quantity wise, SRH1540 bass is almost at the max level of what I accept as good realistic bass. I even feel SRH1540 bass with some recording, a bit too punchy for my taste. I'm afraid if FX850 has even more bass, it would be too much for me.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #22,611 of 100,019
No fear guys about the bass end..While these do have a healthy amount of mid bass impact. For one the bass is tighter today than it was yesterday for certain, It has a similar level of bass as the SRH1540. My well burned in pair. When I was ABing between them after volume matching..( FX850 16 ohms has almost 2X the volume of the SRH1540) Bass levels were very similar in relation to the rest of the sound on both..Because the sound is tightening up I suspect the bass will be even more tighter than the H3s in the end..

Believe me these do not cheapen the overall sound because these have bass.. In fact I was thinking if JVC pulled a AKG where it is more sub bass.. I don't know if this sound would be what it is... Bass control is top notch on these earphones. Yes you do need to be a fan of bass to enjoy this sound but I don't think these are crazy in the bass department.. If you guys have ever heard a monster phone or an AT dynamic phone these are not all that different in the bass presentation.. The sound is large/big. I couldn't imagine how gimpy these would sound with little to no bass emphasis is my point.

It is a sound in transformation. I know what the base sound is but today the clarity is clearly better over open box listen. There has never been a JVC earphone or headphone that does not improve with burn in and these are no exception..Once they get nice n loose I suspect these will only get better from this
point on..

These look like they stick out a lot but not as much as the H3s. When worn over the ear the housing actually lays inside the outer ear canal. They are very comfy over the ear and don't stick out as much, also much more secure when out and about in public.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #22,612 of 100,019
  No fear guys about the bass end..While these do have a healthy amount of mid bass impact. For one the bass is tighter today than it was yesterday for certain, It has a similar level of bass as the SRH1540. My well burned in pair. When I was ABing between them after volume matching..( FX850 16 ohms has almost 2X the volume of the SRH1540) Bass levels were very similar in relation to the rest of the sound on both..Because the sound is tightening up I suspect the bass will be even more tighter than the H3s in the end..

Excellent!  Thanks mate!
FX850 certaintly on top of my wishlist :D

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #22,613 of 100,019
Any time my friend..I know ericp will have his in a week or so..Take your time considering these as they are not cheap.. I believe these are worth every cent I spent on them but it is best to read as many reviews of them as possible.. I will have a much better understanding of their sound after about a weeks worth of burn in and I will write up a better impression of them once this is done but for now.. Yes honeymoon period n all.. I couldn't possibly enjoy a better sound at the moment..It is a nice contrast to the musicality of the H3..While both are in the larger organic realm for sound. Both present the sound differently which ends up being about 2 flavors..

The H3 clearly amps better by the way. The FX850 already sound like they are amped and might be the limitation of their sound cap/ head room.. What I mean is I tried using it on the 2 step and while it sounded amazing on the amp it did not scale as much as the H3. does.

So a good DAP with a solid amp section.. Something like a Fiio X3 or DX50 is all one needs to drive the FX850 to 90-95% of its sound capability..  

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #22,614 of 100,019
I need to as well. My M90's may actually be defective, because I'm not being wowed by them anywhere near as much as everyone else seems to be.

They arent exactly wow inducing to me either but after a while you realize they are technically a great headphone with nice imaging and nice airy extended treble
HE 500's trumps them in nearly every department bro, but still a great headphone for the price

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #22,615 of 100,019
They arent exactly wow inducing to me either but after a while you realize they are technically a great headphone with nice imaging and nice airy extended treble
HE 500's trumps them in nearly every department bro, but still a great headphone for the price

That's the thing, they are a great headphone, and do very well in a lot of areas. Very few, if any headphones pull off what they do at $50 after rebate.

The problem is the rabid overhype, which will make it another forgotten fotm over time. That thread is making it out to be something its not, and it will disappoint quite a few people, myself included. Once I saw claims that people preferred them to the HE-500 (which I sold off because I wasn't 100% thrilled with either), I just stopped taking it seriously.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #22,616 of 100,019
That's the thing, they are a great headphone, and do very well in a lot of areas. Very few, if any headphones pull off what they do at $50 after rebate.

The problem is the rabid overhype, which will make it another forgotten fotm over time. That thread is making it out to be something its not, and it will disappoint quite a few people, myself included. Once I saw claims that people preferred them to the HE-500 (which I sold off because I wasn't 100% thrilled with either), I just stopped taking it seriously.

^ Like wise meng like wise, check yo' hypes.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back