The discovery thread!
Feb 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #22,591 of 100,003
  Haha, I have the same thought about my M90s, but I'm attributing it to not having burned in for 200 hrs and not amping.

They do need a lot of juice, so amping I can see. I feed them into a solid state and tube amp each with 1000mW, and they do get better, but not drastically.

The 200+ hours burn in claim is hearsay. If it can't be measured, it's subjective per individual. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #22,592 of 100,003
Just received the Astrotec AX-30, used.  I was expecting a lot of bass, but they have less bass than the Tenore, Gratitude, and Fidelio S2.  Is this to be expected, or am I having seal issues?  I tried all four stock tips and meelectronics bi-flange.  Will try others and burn-in.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #22,593 of 100,003
  Just received the Astrotec AX-30, used.  I was expecting a lot of bass, but they have less bass than the Tenore, Gratitude, and Fidelio S2.  Is this to be expected, or am I having seal issues?  I tried all four stock tips and meelectronics bi-flange.  Will try others and burn-in.

You are having seal issues.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #22,594 of 100,003
DS, which do you prefer more, the new JVC or your 1540's and what is the difference making sonically? Which sounds more expansive and detailed?

The SRH1540s are my reference for deep involved sound so I just did a quick comparison. Sound signatures are similar. Both have a deep and wide sound given their limitations. Shures being full sized closed while the JVCs are closed and vented in ears.

The FX850 sounds a bit more forward but has an equal amount of expansive stage and lesser depth of the SRH1540. The SRH1540 has more dimensionality to the sounds. The sounds are more layered in presentation a clear frontal mid and background stage can be perceived on these. The H3 also has this dimensionality to a lesser degree.  The FX850 given there single dynamic does a good job with dimensionality but is not as good in this area of sound,  while a touch more forward in sound does not have as much layering as the SRH1540. This is in comparison to the most musical full sized cans I own so the earphones do show a bit of limitations especially when comparing the stage.. JVCs are completely involving and are one of the if not the most expansive sounds I have heard for an iem however. 

Timbre detail is more precise on the FX850 a bit more treble vs the SRH1540. Both have excellent non strident treble. I want to give the better extension in the highs to the JVCs.  JVCs take a back seat to the mids of the SRH1540 however but not by much. The Shures are very smooth sounding a trademark of Shure sound I feel the JVCs also present with one of the more smoother sounds for an iem.  Both has lush mids. Where the JVCs win out clearly for me at least is the fact that I can take this sound where ever I go.. Both present bass in a similar manor and at similar levels. Bold with much body and texture when called for and completely gone when not. 

Overnight burn in actually and the sound is not as warm as I heard on open box. The sound seems to be tightening up. I am hearing a touch more upper mid and treble presence since open as the overall sound is tightening up. Which would explain why it does not sound as warm..Back to the burner. 

It would be tough to choose one over the other to be honest. I like both of them quite a bit. The SRH1540 is not really a portable can however and the JVCs need no amp to sound like they do the SRH1540 in an amp will separate themselves with everything I own so that is the difference right there.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #22,596 of 100,003
  Presented with one of the biggest sound chambers I have seen in an earphone, CKS1K style depth and even greater width of sound..Woodie Timbre is simply awesome.  The scope of sound is unbelievably large. The largest I have ever heard in an earphone. These don't sound like earphones they sound like a well realized full sized can in every way..

Bass is solid and does have mid and sub bass in the mix for this sound. ...
I was mentioning to Danny that this big forward sound without mid bass would sound off..Absolutely musical and organic in approach...

. These have lushness in the sound signature like no other phone I have heard..

The best sounding JVCs I have ever heard by far.

Dsnuts ( or Mochill ) there was a comment made that stuck in my mind about the FX-700 models where they said it reminded them of speakers, and that after a few minutes it fooled you into not knowing where the sound was coming from. Let us know if you get anything like that in these 850's, it would be appreciated I am sure

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #22,597 of 100,003

anyone heard both the MartinLogan Mikros 90 and yamaha HPH200?

I have both.  HPH-200 has a lot more bass quantity than Mikros 90, but doesn't sound as detailed.  This is straight out of laptop.  If amped, from what I've read, it would seem that Mikros 90 is better.

I'm still burning in both before I decide which one I like more for my music genres (pop and rock).

1+
I have both as well, wrote them up a while ago, felt they were about the same in terms of an ultimate rating, though they sound very different. Since then, the bass on the Mikros has increased (changed cables, had about a week burn in at the time I wrote them up, but seem to improve with even more burn in...),

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694010/comparison-of-sennheiser-amperior-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-martin-logan-micros-90-and-yamaha-hph-200-or-how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation

Still feel the Mikros are more open, detailed, Yamaha has more bass, ML more distinct, detailed, like them both.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #22,598 of 100,003

You should also do the Mikros bass mods before deciding.

I need to as well. My M90's may actually be defective, because I'm not being wowed by them anywhere near as much as everyone else seems to be.

I've generally been with you, like them but didn't quite get the hysteria...bass seems to come and go, really fussy on head positioning (and even with care, sometimes I just can't find it), but they are sounding better and better the longer I have them, though, may need kazillion hours burn in (or may be brain burn in...).

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #22,599 of 100,003
I've generally been with you, like them but didn't quite get the hysteria...bass seems to come and go, really fussy on head positioning (and even with care, sometimes I just can't find it), but they are sounding better and better the longer I have them, though, may need kazillion hours burn in (or may be brain burn in...).

That's the freaky thing about them. I don't know what it is (burn in, brain burn in), but they are sounding real good to me now. And now about time to commence with the mods...

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #22,600 of 100,003
Ordered a 2nd pair, but not sure I'm up for modding (10 thumbs)...

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #22,601 of 100,003
Ordered a 2nd pair, but not sure I'm up for modding (10 thumbs)...

Doc, if I can do it, anyone can. I'll let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back