The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #20,881 of 100,479
  It sure doesn't! A thousand words would be barely enough to adequately describe that beautifully glistening bald head. I should shave the sucker one of these days...

...Oh right the headphones. What were we talking about again?

Further Google-fu reveals a lot of "bass-heavy" impressions on the HP-20. Hmm.

ehhh what else.....

Fff outta' here with that nonsense!!!
... you gotta' give it to that clown, he sure is one funny arse mofo. : P

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #20,882 of 100,479
I have not checked if this had or had not been posted on here before - https://www.justmyshop.com/camp/finalaudiokit/

Not really any price advantages over the IIs or anything, just interesting.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #20,883 of 100,479
  Very nice selection vlenbo. The trombone, bass and reverb in the snare drums dominate the first half the of the song. Every instrument seems to have its own space. You can hear the "chinka chinka" of the electric guitar, but electric guitar really doesn't flair up until about the 3:00  time lapse in the song. Trombone Shorty is one of my favorite new artists. Again, every instrument is heard clearly and succinctly in its own space. I love hearing this through the On1.

Simply awesome to hear that, thanks eric!

I've got to get my hands on that wooden headphone later on, especially since I would like the experience of each instrument having its own space. I may hear that with the mikros after burn-in, but I believe the on1s will have that nice warm and detailed sound that the mikros miss.

And for that john Boute song, OH MY GOD, that intro, pretty awesome drumming and bass playing from the re700s.

Cymbals sound great, airy, has its own space.

Vocals are fantastic! I like this so far. Nice tune.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #20,884 of 100,479
Emotiva mini-x a-100, DannyBai.
http://shop.emotiva.com/products/a100

Unavailable at the moment, and it used to be $169 :frowning2: You can possibly pick up a used one/or find a store that sells it
There's a huge thread dedicated to powering the HE-500/HE-6/LCD with it - you'll get amazing top tier performance! Some of the best there is for the HE-500 and even the HE-6
You'll need to make/buy speaker taps however

Schiit Lyr is another great option, but there's been reports the Emotiva mini-x beats it (and it's cheaper too by ~$200)
You've got a great DAC already but I feel portable amps won't do Hifiman orthos justice, you'll need a beefier desktop amp

I can't use it without speaker taps?

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #20,885 of 100,479

Very nice selection vlenbo. The trombone, bass and reverb in the snare drums dominate the first half the of the song. Every instrument seems to have its own space. You can hear the "chinka chinka" of the electric guitar, but electric guitar really doesn't flair up until about the 3:00  time lapse in the song. Trombone Shorty is one of my favorite new artists. Again, every instrument is heard clearly and succinctly in its own space. I love hearing this through the On1.

Simply awesome to hear that, thanks eric!

I've got to get my hands on that wooden headphone later on, especially since I would like the experience of each instrument having its own space. I may hear that with the mikros after burn-in, but I believe the on1s will have that nice warm and detailed sound that the mikros miss.

And for that john Boute song, OH MY GOD, that intro, pretty awesome drumming and bass playing from the re700s.

Cymbals sound great, airy, has its own space.

Vocals are fantastic! I like this so far. Nice tune.

!+

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #20,886 of 100,479
I can't use it without speaker taps?

Yep unfortunately so, since it is a speaker amp - all you'll need is an adaptor for your HE-500 cable converting it into 4 banana plugs
I'm sure a DIYer here can make one for you - or BTG-Audio which has make plenty of them
Ask Emotiva thread on how to convert your current cable to banana plugs
Basically what I did was convert the stock cable to XLR 4 pin and an adaptor with 4 pin XLR to banana plugs (most common way I think)
Not 100% if 6.3mm jack can be converted to banana plugs hmmmmm

EDIT: There was somebody who was modifying Emotiva amps with a 1/4" female jack on the front of the chassis, not sure what happened to that lol

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #20,887 of 100,479
ASG-2 vs XBA-H3 for any interested:

ASG-2 and XBA-H3

The first track I used to compare these two was Floret Silva Nobilis. It's a test for clarity, detail, bass tightness, dynamic range, black space, and soundstage qualities.

This is my first time A/B'ing the ASG-2 and H3, so the next few paragraphs may come off as a stream off incoherent thought.

1) The H3's soundstage is wider, the G2' is taller
2) the ASG-2 is more refined, details are better fleshed out. Timbre is also better on the ASG-2, the H3 has this slightly plastic timbre.
3) The H3 requires about 20% more power than the G2.
4) The G2 is clearer and more resolving of microdetails. 
5) The H3 has better sub-bass extension, but that is not always obvious because the looser mid-bass can obscure it at times.
6) The G2 has a more mid-forward presentation. 
7) The H3's treble tweeter is marvelous. It's more resolving up there in some fine details and gives more weight to the treble.

Next track: Djobi Djoba - Gipsy Kings

1) Guitars are more realistic on the G2.
2) There's that plastic timbre on the H3 again.
3) Vocals on the G2 are better.
4) G2 mid-bass is more controlled.
5) G2 has greater black space due to the greater soundstage height.
6) ASG-2 + H3's tweeter = goodbye head-fi.
7) Actually, SR-009 = goodbye head-fi.

Lips of an Angel - Hinder

1) See above.
2) I really like this song.

Overall, I wouldn't say the differences are large enough for me to put the XBA-H3 a whole tier below the ASG-2. No, I'd say they're on the same playing field in the superbowl, but the ASG-2 is up by a couple of touchdowns. For the price the H3 is a nooo brraaaiineerrr. A zombie would stop chasing you to buy a pair of these.

Ergonomics wise, it's the ASG-2 10 times out of 10. The H3 is comfy when inserted, but I'll be damned if I had to do it multiple times at work or in between lectures. It's large, and the memory wire can be an obstacle to proper insertion.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #20,888 of 100,479
Yep unfortunately so, since it is a speaker amp - all you'll need is an adaptor for your HE-500 cable converting it into 4 banana plugs
I'm sure a DIYer here can make one for you - or BTG-Audio which has make plenty of them
Basically what I did was convert the stock cable to XLR 4 pin and an adaptor with 4 pin XLR to banana plugs (most common way I think)

I actually had Brian do that for me with the silver cable at one point but that cable is long gone now. I realize speaker taps is a good way to go but I think I'd rather stick to the LYR or possibly dac/amp combo that's not overly expensive.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #20,889 of 100,479
Ahh fair enough :)
Lyr is a great option too! It's power output is insanely good for Hifiman orthos (orthos are known to scale with more power), so definitely recommended
You've already got a great DAC in the Yulong

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #20,892 of 100,479
  ASG-2 vs XBA-H3 for any interested:

interesting eke. Well, at least I can say we agree that the H3 and AS-2/ASG-2 are on the same level in the same playing field. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #20,893 of 100,479

EDIT: There was somebody who was modifying Emotiva amps with a 1/4" female jack on the front of the chassis, not sure what happened to that lol

Yup, lots of DIYers, including myself can make these. I've made three so far. You can do banana plugs to a 6.3 jack, that's what the I made were.

Finally, you can use a drill press on the faceplate and wire in a jack to the taps inside. I saw that the fellow that did it had one up for sell. Looks great.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #20,894 of 100,479
Yup, lots of DIYers, including myself can make these. I've made three so far. You can do banana plugs to a 6.3 jack, that's what the I made were.

Finally, you can use a drill press on the faceplate and wire in a jack to the taps inside. I saw that the fellow that did it had one up for sell. Looks great.

^ Hey meng can you make me a thin jack cable such as the FiiO RC-MH1 for cheap??? Have no idea what materials they use on those cables but it seems pretty decent sounding but @ $35 a pop no thanks.....

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-rc-mh1-headphone-upgrade-cable/reviews/10046

If you can let me know what's up via PM, thanks in advance!!!

3.5mm Male Jacks (Goes into the M100 headphones) ^

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #20,895 of 100,479
If you guys are looking in to the AKG 545 be aware there is an issue with a few so far, check the main thread first on those by dweaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back