The discovery thread!
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #20,176 of 100,483
+
^ What if ALL of them were fakes from the start.

This would sure make for an interesting psychological exercise in hearing hype.

Given the beryllium driver, I'd say this is somewhere in between possible to probable. And the earphrodisiac smell! You all know what's up. The discovery thread is now China's lab experiment... :blink:

Fake Pistons smell like chocolate too. The real ones actually have a less potent smell.

Fake Pistons sound terribly unclear and just like any other $2 bad in ear. The real ones are near crystal clear. Both versions have been faked.

But the question is: is a fake of a fake real?

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #20,177 of 100,483
Given the beryllium driver, I'd say this is somewhere in between possible to probable. And the earphrodisiac smell! You all know what's up. The discovery thread is now China's lab experiment...
blink.gif

But the question is: is a fake of a fake real?

^
... to what you just posted.

Twi-hard much???
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #20,180 of 100,483
mochill has all the latest and greatest IEM's, and he burns through them very fast. Sometimes frying them. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #20,182 of 100,483
  Just google 
The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms.
Fake or no fake, Be in 20$ iem sounds strange.

just google the 9-11 conspiracy. Google the jesus bloodline. google the Sennheiser HD800!! Some love it and some hate it!! The Piston has beryllium alloy drivers because they are made in China by a rather large tech company. Controls aren't what they might be in the States or in Europe, nor do I think the supply in China is as scarce as some other places? Nevertheless, it's an alloy variant, and it makes the Piston sound CRAZY GOOD for a $20.00 IEM that's made for a phone. Much like the Samsung HS-330 and Sony MH1C, so it's not supposed to be sold for $100+ in retail stores. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #20,183 of 100,483
Be is not available widely as its a scarce resource. There is only once company which can make Be foils and they are found in speakers which are more than $3000. Also most expensive speakers which claim to have Be speakers the Be content is less than 0.6%.

psychoacoustic Be placebo is a topic of research of the person who has written "The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms."
Because any beryllium synthesized in stars is short-lived, it is a relatively rare element in both the universe and in the crust of the Earth.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #20,184 of 100,483
I was really looking forward to receiving my Piston 2.0s, but can't help being disappointed at the massively flabby and overblown bass on them.  Is it just me or does anyone else find the bass to be that overblown and unfocussed as to wreck to lower midrange too?  I find them rolled off in the treble too, so I'm left with a tubby sound that is totally unrealistic.  I am still using the stock tips (medium), so will experiment with some others.  I've also given them around 15 hours burn in, which doesn't seem to have changed anything.  Records without bass and any great upper register information sound good, but I'm struggling to enjoy these with anything else.  It's a shame, as I can sense there is good speed and soundstage there, just buried underneath that overpoweringly muddy bass.

I'll chime back after tip rolling.

The superlux HD381F murder these in every way for the same price (for my ears).  They are extended at both ends, yet balanced, open, detailed and engaging with everything I throw at them.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #20,185 of 100,483
http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-im70-dual-symphonic-in-ear-monitor-headphones-red.html

at this price, I may not be able to stay away????

AT-IM70

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #20,186 of 100,483
  I was really looking forward to receiving my Piston 2.0s, but can't help being disappointed at the massively flabby and overblown bass on them.  Is it just me or does anyone else find the bass to be that overblown and unfocussed as to wreck to lower midrange too?  I find them rolled off in the treble too, so I'm left with a tubby sound that is totally unrealistic.  I am still using the stock tips (medium), so will experiment with some others.  I've also given them around 15 hours burn in, which doesn't seem to have changed anything.  Records without bass and any great upper register information sound good, but I'm struggling to enjoy these with anything else.  It's a shame, as I can sense there is good speed and soundstage there, just buried underneath that overpoweringly muddy bass.

I'll chime back after tip rolling.

The superlux HD381F murder these in every way for the same price (for my ears).  They are extended at both ends, yet balanced, open, detailed and engaging with everything I throw at them.

the bass tightens up with burn in. Remeber these are Beryllium Alloy drivers, and you must have bass boost going on, because these have solid articulate bass, that can be punchy, but in NO WAY are they basshead IEMs. I know eric says they can be, but not in the truest sense of being bass head IEMs. The bass simply isn't forward enough, nor does it dig deep enough into sub bass, even boosted. Now my Sennheiser CX150 and NuForce 770X can be called bass head IEMs. Either you're using wonky tips, or you still haven't given them enough burn in, because the bass does not remain flabby, nor is it as prominent as you claim it is. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #20,187 of 100,483
  Be is not available widely as its a scarce resource. There is only once company which can make Be foils and they are found in speakers which are more than $3000. Also most expensive speakers which claim to have Be speakers the Be content is less than 0.6%.

psychoacoustic Be placebo is a topic of research of the person who has written "The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms."
Because any beryllium synthesized in stars is short-lived, it is a relatively rare element in both the universe and in the crust of the Earth.

here's the equal to that. Yes those speakers might be sold for that much, but those are cabinet sized speakers. With GIANT diaphragms. The Piston are miniscule compared. Plus...I see the AKG 3003 still being sold for $1,200. The Sony H3, DUNU DN-1000, and Astrotec AX-60 all have essentially the exact same technology and # of drivers...for hundreds and hundreds of dollars LESS. So this is a  reason why there's a disparity between the price of the Piston and a cabinet speaker made with Beryllium alloy.  

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #20,188 of 100,483
I'd like to try the Pistons. It's just hard to find someone who sells then in the States. I like that super science stuff going on with the special driver. I'm a big fan of JVC too. I used to have the Monster Turbines, which i think are the best earphones ever made. The bass was so sweet and thumpin, and the highs so clear and clean. They spit details. They broke on me though, and my sister gave me crappy Deltas. I hated the tinny sound on those. No bass either. I'm thinking of getting those JVC ha3x until I can afford the Turbines again. anybody have those JVC? Are they really good for industrial, metal, and alternative rap music?

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #20,189 of 100,483
  I'd like to try the Pistons. It's just hard to find someone who sells then in the States. I like that super science stuff going on with the special driver. I'm a big fan of JVC too. I used to have the Monster Turbines, which i think are the best earphones ever made. The bass was so sweet and thumpin, and the highs so clear and clean. They spit details. They broke on me though, and my sister gave me crappy Deltas. I hated the tinny sound on those. No bass either. I'm thinking of getting those JVC ha3x until I can afford the Turbines again. anybody have those JVC? Are they really good for industrial, metal, and alternative rap music?

the piston are worthy of any hype you read. They are better than the Turbines IMHO. I think you should stick with the JVC though, because the Piston are not bass head level IEMs. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #20,190 of 100,483
+1 about the Brainwavz Delta. I wasted $20.00 on those underachievers. Unruly bass and a soundstage more claustrophobic than a 5 year old locked in a dark basement. The Piston are 10X the value at the exact same price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back