The discovery thread!
Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #20,191 of 100,489
  Just read your post.  So how would you rank them from #1 to #3?

I would put the Gratitude's slightly ahead of the Piston's. The Piston's have better cable and mich though so I use them when I'm out and about. The B3's are so different in soundsignature that I think it's difficult to put one as "better" than the other, it really comes down to what you prefer. What I can say though is that the B3's have replaced the VSD1's as my fall to sleep iem's.

i have the SHE3580, and though they are definitely a great budget IEM, they are nowhere near the capabilities of the Piston. Either you need to keep burning them in with confidence, or you got fakes? I believe yours are real, but you need more burn in time

+1

mochill has all the latest and greatest IEM's, and he burns through them very fast. Sometimes frying them. 

Mochill has given burn in a whole new meaning 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #20,192 of 100,489
I've only auditioned the Gratitudes for a short time. My friend who works at Staples got them, and I really liked them, but they had less bass than the Trumpets. I've bid a few times in the Grats, but I always get outbid. Are the Grats that good? I know the Piston doesn't beat my Trumpets. I see quite a few of you have the Grats. I might have to break down one of these days?

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #20,193 of 100,489
The Pistons better than the Turbines? I'm not believing that. I read somewhere the Turbines are as good as the Trumpets and the Coppers. Thanks for reminding me about the Gratitudes. I might look for a used pair on ebay. The Pistons are just too hard to get, and if they don't have good bass, I'm out. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #20,194 of 100,489
  The Pistons better than the Turbines? I'm not believing that. I read somewhere the Turbines are as good as the Trumpets and the Coppers. Thanks for reminding me about the Gratitudes. I might look for a used pair on ebay. The Pistons are just too hard to get, and if they don't have good bass, I'm out. 

It's been years since I heard the Monster Turbines, so I could be wrong, but from i remember, they were very bass heavy with rolled off highs. The treble on the Piston is razor sharp, clear, and with amazing timbre and decay. Those Grats are definitely interesting. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #20,195 of 100,489

The Piston's have more bass then the Gratitude's. The Piston's are by no means basslight, it's just very well controlled.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #20,197 of 100,489
http://fuji-labs.com/Sonique%20306%20Be.html

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #20,199 of 100,489
I've only auditioned the Gratitudes for a short time. My friend who works at Staples got them, and I really liked them, but they had less bass than the Trumpets. I've bid a few times in the Grats, but I always get outbid. Are the Grats that good? I know the Piston doesn't beat my Trumpets. I see quite a few of you have the Grats. I might have to break down one of these days?

I have the Gratitudes, the Trumpets, and the Pistons. Have to say I've been a bit busy, haven't sat down to do A-B comparisons (see previous posts about missing the X1 deal)...may take until the weekend, try to do good comparison (my Gratitudes are replacements, my daughter "liberated" my old pair and took them back to college with her, not really burned in...burn in station currently occupied by Shures, about 2/3 way through its kazillion hour burn in, alarm set to let me know when it hits a kazillion).
Got FAD HEAVEN coming any day, Om seems to be lost somewhere on the way to my house, have to contact seller.
more later

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #20,201 of 100,489
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #20,202 of 100,489
  Be is not available widely as its a scarce resource. There is only once company which can make Be foils and they are found in speakers which are more than $3000. Also most expensive speakers which claim to have Be speakers the Be content is less than 0.6%.

psychoacoustic Be placebo is a topic of research of the person who has written "The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms."
Because any beryllium synthesized in stars is short-lived, it is a relatively rare element in both the universe and in the crust of the Earth.

The article is from 2009, and this is based on the content in loudspeaker compression driver diaphragms. It is very much outdated, and the weight and dimensions of an IEM driver are MUCH, MUCH lighter than the drivers they are talking about. .6% of a CD could easily make quite a few 50%+ Beryllium IEM drivers, which is still great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back