The discovery thread!
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #16,876 of 100,119
  Truth is these $100 phones have taken over all my listening time when I do have time at home. I grab them every opportunity I can..Don't know if it is how light and comfy they are or if it is because of the sound. Equal helpings of both actually.. I am getting PMs from guys asking me about these and all I can say is. For guys that have never owned a proper open can and want to know what an open can can do for your music..

These are perfect to introduce to this type of sound. The reason why many of the top tier cans are open back is because of the way they convey stage. I think with recent advancements in tech, it seems closed cans are gaining in stage realism and expansiveness however once you have a proper open can..You will wonder why you have not tried an open can before..

Beyond the openness of the sound it is how these are tuned. There is a very real sound to these cans that seem to truly bring out emotion in your tunes..These are not too finicky of sources but there is a synergistic proponent to this sound. It seems the higher end your sound chain is these cans will reveal just how good or bad your sources are..I get a different sophistication with every source I tried. You know a phone is great when I keep on discovering new aspects of the sound.

Ericp.. Your a drum guy...Your gonna love how these render drums...

beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #16,878 of 100,119
After deciding to stick with the stock pads on JVC HA-S680, I started playing with the bass ports.
Surprisingly, they have very little effect on the bass. However, they have a huge impact on the soundstage.
Basically, JVC produced a semi-open headphone disguised as a closed one.
They replaced dozens of small holes with 2 a little bigger ones - improving isolation and sound leakage compared to a traditional semi-open.

When I close the ports, they sound almost exactly as S400.
When I open the ports, the soundstage becomes very airy, yet intimate - I feel like I'm sitting in a recording studio/theater and the vocalist is singing just for me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #16,880 of 100,119
I think I will consider the Yamaha HPH-200 as my next purchase since I already have a handful of IEM and a couple of closed over- and on-ears, but no open back headphones.

According to camelcamelcamel, the Yamahas got below $85 back in February. Whenever the price dips that low again, I will definitely bite.

Keep up the discoveries!

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #16,881 of 100,119
Does anyone know anything about this new Chinese brand Fidue? I saw that bigbargainonline has started selling their iems - one appears to be entry level and one higher end.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #16,885 of 100,119
Through the roof today. CDJapan is a wonderful service and they're support team is wonderful. The IM70s are on the plane now. Hoping to sneak a listen before Christmas but we'll see how that goes. My Nexus 5 came in today and boy oh boy do I love it. It's an amazing phone and though it does need a little amping the sound from it is top notch for a phone.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #16,886 of 100,119
Through the roof today. CDJapan is a wonderful service and they're support team is wonderful. The IM70s are on the plane now. Hoping to sneak a listen before Christmas but we'll see how that goes. My Nexus 5 came in today and boy oh boy do I love it. It's an amazing phone and though it does need a little amping the sound from it is top notch for a phone.

Do you notice any difference using Poweramp & Neutron vs. Google Play Music? I'm unable to determine if the battery sipping DSP chip being used in the Nexus 5 is being used only in Play Music, or also while using those other programs as well. I love Poweramp's bass boost, but I also want the best sound.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #16,887 of 100,119
Hey Wayne,,, heres some help.  KEEP YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS.  its much harder to pull the trigger that way...
but there will come a time when one will slip out and move towards your keyboard, and then......the Yamahas will
wave at you and then....all bets are off.  meanwhile I'm  going to take your advice and keep my enthusiasm bottled up
for a while...cause I'm happy as birthday boy listening to to the Yamaha  EPH200s most of the time now....ive been trying to find
something wrong with them to complain about  but they keep evolving and sounding great no matter what kind of music
i throw at them....damn.....i appreciate everyones interest in keeping the cat in the bag on these....but kitty wants out...ha!

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #16,889 of 100,119
Anyone looking forward to the RE700 coming in December. AT talks of a "vast sound field" which is nice from a portable and they look quite pretty
L3000.gif

main.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back