The discovery thread!
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #16,651 of 100,041
How would you compare them to the V-Moda M80 which I can find in the same price category (and own)?

I just sold a pair of Vmoda M-80 last week because I wasn't overly impressed, the builds not as good as Vmoda and the appearance might not have that Vmoda spark. but for sound I rate the HPH-200 higher. Tighter bass response, clearer mid range, basically more extension around the mid range offering more detail better clarity, more than that natural timbre and air in the stage. 100% no problems recommending them over M-80. What you need to remember though is they're open air so sound leakage will occur, I had no problems using them at night without annoying anyone however.  Don't hesitate on trying them, you'll be pleased over M-80, I can say that with 100% confidence. HPH-200 is just a better sounding headphone.

Okay than... hmm... These are looking enticing. Do you mind if I ask you for one more comparison? It'll be something a little bit more (open vs semi) similar; how do these compare to the Philip L1's which I can pick up for $120? That's the other headphone I'm looking at to replace my V-Moda M80.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #16,652 of 100,041
I dunno. The grill looks different, but the headband and cup swivel look very similar. And as mentioned on that thread
I have the Yamahas. I believe they are based on the audio technica ath ep700. I've seen pics of the ep700 driver and they look very similar, if not identical. Their earpads look similar too. I have not directly compared the two headphones. The main differences appear to be the driver housing, headband, cable design (length, y-split, jack plug) and overall styling of course. Also, the yamahas came bubble wrapped inside an audio technica-like box with the slits on the back; very simple packaging, nothing fancy. The specs are also very similar. ath-ep700 specs:
40mm Driver Unit
Sensitivity: 103dB/mW
Frequency: 20-20,000Hz
Impedance: 47 ohms
Maximum input: 1000mW
2m one side cord
Gold plated L-Type stereo mini plug with standard stereo adaptor
140g in weight excluding the cord

hph-200 specs:
     Dynamic, open air
Driver Unit    Φ40 mm (1-5/8”)
Impedance    48 ohms
Maximum Power    1,000 mw
Sound Pressure Level    98.5 dB ±3 dB
Frequency Response    20 Hz – 20 kHz
Weight (without Cable)    180 g (6.35 oz)
Cable Length    1.2 m (47-1/4”); 2m extension also included
Connectors    3.5 mm (1/8)” L-type mini stereo, 6.3 mm (1/4”) stereo

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #16,653 of 100,041
Okay than... hmm... These are looking enticing. Do you mind if I ask you for one more comparison? It'll be something a little bit more (open vs semi) similar; how do these compare to the Philip L1's which I can pick up for $120? That's the other headphone I'm looking at to replace my V-Moda M80.

I haven't heard Phillips L1, sorry. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #16,654 of 100,041

I haven't heard Phillips L1, sorry. 

That is okay. Thank you for your original comparison.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #16,655 of 100,041
Comparing the Gratitudes with Miles Davis Tribute, well MDs just are a class above Gratitudes for sure. The bass is a lot more pronounced, depth is amazing on MDs. Gratitudes are great, but maybe need more burn in. Of course for $60 these are great phones, actually sound really great, and should definitely be part of a stable for any one who is interested in quality in ears. What makes the Gratitudes stand out is the mids compared to Miles Davis. This also shows that Monster is a very serious company when it comes to their headphones (at least in ears), they definitely are producing sound as they state the phones are for. MDs are for jazz, not much of vocal presence, rather base, guitar, percussion etc, the Gratitudes are about Earth Wind And Fire, a band about vocals and music, most songs featured 2-3 sometimes 4 vocalists. So the Gratitudes definitely hit the bill. Very clear mids, very clear tremble, bass is plenty but lacks the depth.

Most of the tips did not work for me, the foam ones actually don't work at all, they did not produce enough depth in insertion and did not provide any sound blocking as well, and sound was tiny. The classic tips work a lot better. 

Great phones for the price, around 60 nowadays, and I don't think any other phones can match them at this price.

Lady Gaga Artpop album sounds good, but Miles Davis sounds better.
Lorde - Pure Heroine, album sounds great on Gratitudes, it is a more vocal centric album, MDs perform very well too. I prefer Gratitudes just a pinch
Rush - Power Windows - Gratitudes really struggling, the drums are very behind, can not really feel them, base guitar is forward, the lead guitar is very bright that causes noise complications. Vocals are great.
Testament - The Legacy; Gratitudes are definitely not for metal, hard rock. The guitars are very bright to the point of annoying, drums are nowhere to be found, base guitar is so behind that it becomes a miracle to hear the tones. 

Interesting. Metal is the primary genre I listen to and they seem to do it well. The guitars are crunchy and warm, the bass texture is unreal, and the snare is probably the most realistic I've ever heard. I love the fizzy cymbals as well.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #16,656 of 100,041
Another really good consumer sounding headphone. Reminds me of the UE6000's but more tamed. Excellent plush over-ear padding. One drawback is the cable has 2.5mm that plugs into the headphone so cable swapping sucks.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #16,657 of 100,041
I actually went ahead and ordered the Philip L1's after reading about them on the forum. I know they're colder than most headphones, but I tend to like cold sounds over warm ones. (Which is surprising being I love the Gratitude's so much. I'd probably like the S2's/M200 more if I bought them because I think they probably sound colder.) I'll probably pick up the Yamaha HPH-200 when more reviews start rolling in as a replacement for my V-Moda M80s. Currently I think I'll stick to my Gratitude's even though eric did a great job hyping me up to the M200. I just don't think I can spare that much more money right now because of my other Christmas shopping. Though I do have a birthday coming up in March so I'll request those headphones unless something better has come along.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #16,659 of 100,041
Now all we need is an HPH-200 vs ATH-EP700 showdown
popcorn.gif

Don't believe we have ever had one.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #16,660 of 100,041
  So, does more tamed mean you like the UE6000 better, or is the taming an improvement? I ask because I have the UE6000s coming tomorrow and I've been tempted by these too. :)

I don't know if it's better but my memory of the UE6000's had boomy bass and the CAL2's are not as boomy.  I remember the UE's having pretty good mids and not so prominent treble.  I think the CAL2's are along the same lines but possibly better treble extension.  Both are spacious and the UE's were great with games and movies.  I would expect the same for the CAL2's.  If you already have the UE's coming, it's probably pointless to get the CAL2's.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #16,665 of 100,041
I actually went ahead and ordered the Philip L1's after reading about them on the forum. I know they're colder than most headphones, but I tend to like cold sounds over warm ones. (Which is surprising being I love the Gratitude's so much. I'd probably like the S2's/M200 more if I bought them because I think they probably sound colder.) I'll probably pick up the Yamaha HPH-200 when more reviews start rolling in as a replacement for my V-Moda M80s. Currently I think I'll stick to my Gratitude's even though eric did a great job hyping me up to the M200. I just don't think I can spare that much more money right now because of my other Christmas shopping. Though I do have a birthday coming up in March so I'll request those headphones unless something better has come along.

Likelihood is that 50 "better" headphones will grace this thread by then, just hold on to your seat.... :-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back