The discovery thread!
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #16,621 of 101,571
so I got the chance to finally put my hd 439's back together after doing a bit of soldering and well, umm, these things are blowing my mind to a point much higher than they ever had before, to the point that I might not even care about upgrading to planars, I mean it's just absolutely at the pinnacle in it's mids, and the textures and details are just.... spectacular without a better word and the best part is that it sounds radically different to my other gear for example: (using my x3 as amp/dac since my rca interconnects are right now in the process of being re soldered)

Vs my modded hp700's: (the hd439's are) less airy, but way more intimate, Mids are way less recessed, also detailing is quite a bit less but with a more "sensual" texture, Male voices have more weight and guitars have more emotion, isolation is a bit worse (due to semi-open mod, which I designed to let out just enough air so that the drivers will bump up mid frequencies, it still need some improvement) and comfort is a bit better

Vs my stock dt250's: Dt250 is the flatter one of the two, with the dt250's having some more air to them in comparison, just not anywhere as airy as the hp700's, also male voices are treated with a normalized tone to them with the Dt250 while the hd439 does the opposite and bring them to life, detail of dt250 is more than the hd439 but not as good as the hp700, isolation is the highest in the comparison and will probably be heightened when I add some dampening and some felt.

Vs my stock ws99: I'll get this to you all tomorrow as I have to go to sleep now...

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #16,622 of 101,571
Shame that the HD4*8/4*9 family never got a fanbase going. These things come out with some of the nicest mids around. Scary how close they get to the HD580-mids-niceness, and I've been using the HD428 more frequently at home than my mainstay LCD-2s nowadays, mostly out of laziness/inertia/lack of time and energy to hook up the full-rig.

I've occasionally brought them to meets (usually I cram the whole closet content in a bag and forget what's in there), I've gotten the cables fixed (more on that later) by a couple of fellas, most will praise the mids upon first listen. Pop a hole open, damp the back, and you've got some nice bass going on there as well. Nice and polite, can live with forever sort of sound.

But I sort of understand the lack of popularity on these - the build is very plastic-ridden, the headband is too solid a piece and does not inspire with its flexibility (more of the design, rather than the material used), the garbage-skin pads on the non HD43* ones (which come with velour) will never hold a proper seal. These need the velours. It bumps up the warmth, which might not be desired (not to say that they're overly warm), but they'll stop sliding around afterwards.

And for the HD428 - the cabling is downright some of the thinnest, most awful cabling, that I've ever come across on a headphone, period. Name a headphone. It won't compare. The rest, including the 4*9, will fare much better though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #16,623 of 101,571
  Shame that the HD4*8/4*9 family never got a fanbase going. These things come out with some of the nicest mids around. Scary how close they get to the HD580-mids-niceness, and I've been using the HD428 more frequently at home than my mainstay LCD-2s nowadays, mostly out of laziness/inertia/lack of time and energy to hook up the full-rig.

I've occasionally brought them to meets (usually I cram the whole closet content in a bag and forget what's in there), I've gotten the cables fixed (more on that later) by a couple of fellas, most will praise the mids upon first listen. Pop a hole open, damp the back, and you've got some nice bass going on there as well. Nice and polite, can live with forever sort of sound.

But I sort of understand the lack of popularity on these - the build is very plastic-ridden, the headband is too solid a piece and does not inspire with its flexibility (more of the design, rather than the material used), the garbage-skin pads on the non HD43* ones (which come with velour) will never hold a proper seal. These need the velours. It bumps up the warmth, which might not be desired (not to say that they're overly warm), but they'll stop sliding around afterwards.

And for the HD428 - the cabling is downright some of the thinnest, most awful cabling, that I've ever come across on a headphone, period. Name a headphone. It won't compare. The rest, including the 4*9, will fare much better though.

one quick post before I knock myself out, Yah I'm hoping the nut-inator can fix it I mean he's done it before he can do it again, also The Dude Abides

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #16,624 of 101,571
Anyone see a thread up for those old-ish announced Fostex TE-05 IEMs? Mind you, not much out about them so it'd be a bit pointless to start one, just curious about anything pre-existing.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #16,627 of 101,571
^ Then why would you even mention/ ask about them then.
rolleyes.gif

Something is cracked up there and it ain't that arse.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #16,628 of 101,571
  Anyone see a thread up for those old-ish announced Fostex TE-05 IEMs? Mind you, not much out about them so it'd be a bit pointless to start one, just curious about anything pre-existing.

Don't be foolish. Thats what the hype thread is for. Now get over there and start with the "I hope they're at least $1000", "I hope they're blue". "I hope they have a Pokemon edition" "Is their a Brony discount code?" "Are they better than beats? The bully who takes my lunch money every day has Beats and I wanna upstage him" comments.

Ought to be able to hit a hundred pages easy before they even see the light of day
wink_face.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #16,629 of 101,571

Wants to cry when I hear the bass in this song through the AX-60 or M200 ... I'm just saying!

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #16,630 of 101,571

Wants to cry when I hear the bass in this song through the AX-60 or M200 ... I'm just saying!

I can't wait for my M200 to arrive ericp! All you're doing is making me more anxious... 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #16,631 of 101,571
Comparing the Gratitudes with Miles Davis Tribute, well MDs just are a class above Gratitudes for sure. The bass is a lot more pronounced, depth is amazing on MDs. Gratitudes are great, but maybe need more burn in. Of course for $60 these are great phones, actually sound really great, and should definitely be part of a stable for any one who is interested in quality in ears. What makes the Gratitudes stand out is the mids compared to Miles Davis. This also shows that Monster is a very serious company when it comes to their headphones (at least in ears), they definitely are producing sound as they state the phones are for. MDs are for jazz, not much of vocal presence, rather base, guitar, percussion etc, the Gratitudes are about Earth Wind And Fire, a band about vocals and music, most songs featured 2-3 sometimes 4 vocalists. So the Gratitudes definitely hit the bill. Very clear mids, very clear tremble, bass is plenty but lacks the depth.

Most of the tips did not work for me, the foam ones actually don't work at all, they did not produce enough depth in insertion and did not provide any sound blocking as well, and sound was tiny. The classic tips work a lot better. 

Great phones for the price, around 60 nowadays, and I don't think any other phones can match them at this price.

Lady Gaga Artpop album sounds good, but Miles Davis sounds better.
Lorde - Pure Heroine, album sounds great on Gratitudes, it is a more vocal centric album, MDs perform very well too. I prefer Gratitudes just a pinch
Rush - Power Windows - Gratitudes really struggling, the drums are very behind, can not really feel them, base guitar is forward, the lead guitar is very bright that causes noise complications. Vocals are great.
Testament - The Legacy; Gratitudes are definitely not for metal, hard rock. The guitars are very bright to the point of annoying, drums are nowhere to be found, base guitar is so behind that it becomes a miracle to hear the tones. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #16,632 of 101,571
Quote:
  I can't wait for my M200 to arrive ericp! All you're doing is making me more anxious... 
wink.gif

Eric: that Jamiroquai track is great :)

d marc0: you're getting quite the nice little collection going there! Let me know how this sounds on your M200's once you get them (and get dancing lol!):

Edit: I just noticed that the above "official" video is not the full length version. Here's a full length version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZjSYTqkBU

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #16,633 of 101,571
d marc0: you're getting quite the nice little collection going there! Let me know how this sounds on your M200's once you get them (and get dancing lol!):

Edit: I just noticed that the above "official" video is not the full length version. Here's a full length version:

I'll keep that in mind mate!

Was originally eyeing at the new Sony h series but they came up short. So I got the Keg instead with the risk of having fit issues (i hope not).

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #16,634 of 101,571

Eric: that Jamiroquai track is great :)

LOVE THAT SONG!!

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #16,635 of 101,571
^ i bought there new CD and have been in love with it i ****ING LOVE DAFT PUNK!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back