The discovery thread!
Nov 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #16,636 of 100,041
  ^ i bought there new CD and have been in love with it i ****ING LOVE DAFT PUNK!!!!

I bought it a while ago because bjaardker highly recommended it. When I first got the album I thought "sounds good, but maybe not my cup of tea". It has grown on me though to become one of my favorite albums.

So I'm with you brother!

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #16,637 of 100,041
  Comparing the Gratitudes with Miles Davis Tribute, well MDs just are a class above Gratitudes for sure. The bass is a lot more pronounced, depth is amazing on MDs. Gratitudes are great, but maybe need more burn in. Of course for $60 these are great phones, actually sound really great, and should definitely be part of a stable for any one who is interested in quality in ears. What makes the Gratitudes stand out is the mids compared to Miles Davis. This also shows that Monster is a very serious company when it comes to their headphones (at least in ears), they definitely are producing sound as they state the phones are for. MDs are for jazz, not much of vocal presence, rather base, guitar, percussion etc, the Gratitudes are about Earth Wind And Fire, a band about vocals and music, most songs featured 2-3 sometimes 4 vocalists. So the Gratitudes definitely hit the bill. Very clear mids, very clear tremble, bass is plenty but lacks the depth.

Most of the tips did not work for me, the foam ones actually don't work at all, they did not produce enough depth in insertion and did not provide any sound blocking as well, and sound was tiny. The classic tips work a lot better. 

Great phones for the price, around 60 nowadays, and I don't think any other phones can match them at this price.

Lady Gaga Artpop album sounds good, but Miles Davis sounds better.
Lorde - Pure Heroine, album sounds great on Gratitudes, it is a more vocal centric album, MDs perform very well too. I prefer Gratitudes just a pinch
Rush - Power Windows - Gratitudes really struggling, the drums are very behind, can not really feel them, base guitar is forward, the lead guitar is very bright that causes noise complications. Vocals are great.
Testament - The Legacy; Gratitudes are definitely not for metal, hard rock. The guitars are very bright to the point of annoying, drums are nowhere to be found, base guitar is so behind that it becomes a miracle to hear the tones. 

Interesting...I have both, but haven't actually gotten around to pulling the MD out for comparison (it comes with a great case, but it's a bit finicky about placement when you put the iem's back in, so I often forget I have them). Have to listen myself, thanks for the comparisons.
Right now playing with my new Amperiors, really nice sounding...Some of the iem's I'm reading about are tempting, but I'm always concerned about fit these days. If someone has trouble with them, likely I'll have trouble with them.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #16,638 of 100,041
  Interesting...I have both, but haven't actually gotten around to pulling the MD out for comparison (it comes with a great case, but it's a bit finicky about placement when you put the iem's back in, so I often forget I have them). Have to listen myself, thanks for the comparisons.
Right now playing with my new Amperiors, really nice sounding...Some of the iem's I'm reading about are tempting, but I'm always concerned about fit these days. If someone has trouble with them, likely I'll have trouble with them.

Well my opinion has changed. Out of 10 tips that Gratitudes came with none provided the sound it should have, so at home I tried tips from my vault and settled on AT tips, and now Gratitudes sound really good. I listened to the same albums and it is amazing how the right tips bring the quality these phones intended in the first place. Testament, Ozzy, Megadeth, now all sound great.

If anybody gets these and tries the tips but still does not find it fulfilling try other tips from different brands.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #16,639 of 100,041
So, do you now like them better/same/worse then the Miles Davis'? (still didn't get a chance to to the A-B tonight, will try another time)

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #16,640 of 100,041
  So, do you now like them better/same/worse then the Miles Davis'? (still didn't get a chance to to the A-B tonight, will try another time)

I think Miles Davis offer better detail, not day and night difference, but still visible. Definitely the bass is more defined in MDs, it has a better punch, not overwhelming but very detailed in the sub bass, and better definition. Mids are definitely the strong point of Gratitudes. Overall if I was asked which to take without considering the price, I would choose MDs. But with cost involved, I would take Gratitudes at $60 for sure, and save bunch, as they offer 90% of what MDs offer. They offer similar soundstage, I find Gratitudes a little bit wider.

Gratitudes are definitely great phones, they in their original price were apparently cheaper than Miles Davis as well. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #16,641 of 100,041
Ds and I share a lot of PM's throughout the week and he is always bringing up new gear to me.  I always try to resist but this man just sells things to me.  Many times without even hearing it himself mind you.  My latest recommendation just came in the mail today.  Unfortunately, I received my pair before he did so I'll start the hype on them.  Don't let the plasticky, cheap look fool you because this thing sounds high end.  An open back portable can with velour padding and light clamping force.  I've had it on my head for the past 8 hours and no fatigue and I've been just amazed at the sound.  This is a discovery on this thread but others have already heard it awhile ago including H20Fidelity and others.  I'm sure they can chime in and say a few words but this sound is truly awesome and it cost under $100.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #16,642 of 100,041
Can't wait to try these out. The Yamaha HPH-200BL.. There is a white model that is Japan only I believe..These would be a departure from the much colored Panasonic 480s. More into the open wide stage higher grade sound.. Had a good feeling on this one.

I have read nothing but praise on how these sound. Including one DannyBai..The Aussies, The Brits, The Japanese.. Yet we at headfi have mostly overlooked these except for a few.. A hidden gem? Could be. Not too many wide staged portable open cans. If these sound the way Danny's been describing them to me. I think we have found something worthy of this thread.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #16,643 of 100,041
Oooh, Yamaha HPH-200's. Looks/sounds very intriguing! 

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #16,644 of 100,041
^    Y**A*A!

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #16,645 of 100,041
Originally Posted by DannyBai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure they can chime in and say a few words but this sound is truly awesome and it cost under $100.  

Amazon.com = $95.92 + Canadian = DENIED! What's new lol. On amazon.ca they are $191. That's it - I'm moving south!

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #16,646 of 100,041
Those Yamaha open air are genuinely worthy, solid bass response for an open air headphone. Rather detailed mid range, crisp clear natural timbre, excells with vocals, and rather versatile to many genres. Those who want bass in their EDM will still be pleased.  I remember comparing them with my first $650 RDB+ v1 which left me scratching my head a little, I rate them higher then the Sony MDR -1R I had with me. HPH-200 Sounded great with my Studio V, spot on.

If you guys can source them for around $100 I expect you'll be  pleased. I began giving them some momentum in the full size headphone section but faded off onto something else at the time. Best of all they're terribly easy to drive and sound really nice from sources like Clip+ but scale better with the little Colorfly or Hisound players. You can see in their main thread the few people that tried them were all overly pleased with the sound, there just wasn't a stiff enough backbone to expose them further but they truly deserve it. See what you guys can do with them. 

H20 approved.   

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #16,649 of 100,041
I think the only real similarities on them are that they are open back.. The headphones came out roughly the same time the EPH-100s did and the earphones was one of the more popular phones around here but the headphones for some reason never got the spot light as much..Even though I suspect the headphones are the superior. They do look kinda cheap almost Gradoish in design, But if they sound good with no sweaty ears..I am all about it. Will chime in once I get my pair..Good sounding ear muffs FTW!.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #16,650 of 100,041
How would you compare them to the V-Moda M80 which I can find in the same price category (and own)?

I just sold a pair of Vmoda M-80 last week because I wasn't overly impressed, the builds not as good as Vmoda and the appearance might not have that Vmoda spark. but for sound I rate the HPH-200 higher. Tighter bass response, clearer mid range, basically more extension around the mid range offering more detail better clarity, more than that natural timbre and air in the stage. 100% no problems recommending them over M-80. What you need to remember though is they're open air so sound leakage will occur, I had no problems using them at night without annoying anyone however.  Don't hesitate on trying them, you'll be pleased over M-80, I can say that with 100% confidence. HPH-200 is just a better sounding headphone.

HPH-200 was released the same time as EPH-100 (The IEM) There's a video here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back