The discovery thread!
Nov 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #16,111 of 100,523
Very brief first thoughts of the AX-60:

- build quality is immaculate! (I rarely comment on build quality, but I must with these)

- lighter than the DN-1K (not that the Dunu is uncomfortable in any way to me)

- bass is a bit muddy, but I expect it to clear up quite a bit. I can hear the potential of the bass

- i don't know if these are the bass filters in or not (two sets of inner-changeable filters, one bass and one more neutral), but if not, this is a very bassy iem. bassier than the DN-1K even, but even with the bit of muddiness, i can tell it's a better quality bass. I'm thinking these are the more neutral filters, but we'll see. if more bass comes out of these, then whoa!

- without a doubt, the AX-60 is a more refined hybrid than the DN-1k or H-200. And I'm not taking anything from those two hybrids, but AX-60 is clearly a more refined sound by a good leap (really close to M-200's refinement out of the box).

- notes are even thicker in the AX-60. great imaging, but i think the DN-1K still has the wider soundstage. 

The AX-60 cost about $130 more than the DN-1K, but to be honest  I didn't expect it so sound much better than the Dunu (if at all). So why did I buy it? Just curiosity got the best of me, plus I had the extra funds to try it out. I love reading the opinions in head-fi, but those who know me know that my main belief is to hear it for yourself if you can (and you are really interested in a product). I just figured I'll listen to it, and if sounded like the DN-1K clone (or God forbid, worse) I would just seen it back for a refund. And I was prepared to do exactly that.

Well, I'm not quite ready to say anything more about the sound of the AX-60 then the points I mad above, but I can tell you I have no thoughts of sending them back, and that I'm pleasantly surprised. I love when something leaps over my expectations. The AX-60 is leaping high! More impressions later.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #16,112 of 100,523
Oh, I'm listening via the DX50 DAP (as usual, not eqing).

The first filters are definitely the bass filters (that bass was deep and was making female vocals a tad huskier too, although I think it will clear after some burn-in). 

I am trying the second pair of filters now. Bass is still there but much less. This is a more neutral sound, but emphasis is not placed on mids (gorgeous) and highs (not harsh but pushing in that direction...you can hear extension more). Details in abundance with both filters, but hear more with the second set. The soundstage is a bit wider too with the second set of filters (still not more than the DN-1K, although sound is thicker and taller in the Astrotec. I'm surprised by that).

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #16,114 of 100,523
So I'm guessing not anywhere as good as the KEF M200? Did you ever figure out the tip sizing for me?

I didn't say that. I haven't heard them enough (and without a good burn-in) to make that assessment yet. I did state, however, that the refinement pushes more toward the M200 (especially with those bass filters in) than the other DN-1K or H-200.

I haven't figured out your tip sizing yet. I would need to see a pic of your ear, or better yet, what size tips fit you best with other earphones you own?

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #16,115 of 100,523
So I'm guessing not anywhere as good as the KEF M200? Did you ever figure out the tip sizing for me?

I haven't figured out your tip sizing yet. I would need to see a pic of your ear, or better yet, what size tips fit you best with other earphones you own?

With Monster Headphones I tend to use the smallest of the triple flange's and the smallest of the silicon/gels. With the VSD1 I used the Medium size tip only because the smallest liked to get trapped in my ear. (Pulled it out three times)

I'll look forward to the full assessment then :) I'm just under the sneaking suspicion that the M200 will be the best under >200 headphone for me.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #16,116 of 100,523
With Monster Headphones I tend to use the smallest of the triple flange's and the smallest of the silicon/gels. With the VSD1 I used the Medium size tip only because the smallest liked to get trapped in my ear. (Pulled it out three times)

I'll look forward to the full assessment then
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just under the sneaking suspicion that the M200 will be the best under >200 headphone for me.

The small M200 tip should work for you I would think (because the M200 nozzle is so big). Even if the AX-60 proves to be as refined as the the M200, it's over $300 right now. And I've already stated on a few posts already that the M200 is the most refined earphone I've ever heard at $200 or under. That still holds true. Actually I can't think of any earphone (I've heard) under $300 that is as refined. So I think you'll be safe there. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #16,117 of 100,523
  DIDNT have go to Nepal or mount Olympus!  "garbagebinonline" on ebay got five more vsd1 LE sets in.  now there are four, i nabbed one. looking forward to burn in them in
and seeing if they are magical like several head-fi commentators waxed on about them enthusiastically.  build looks solid in photos on ebay.

I snagged one as well :)  Now there are 2 available.

I was thinking of getting another VSD1 (or VSD1S) as a backup anyway. The thing that pushed me over the edge with them (apart from the super-nova hype that Sf is flinging, and the pretty good hype that kova4a is flinging), is that I really love their form factor. The VSD1's work perfectly for me for sleeping because they are rather flush and I can lie with my head on the side with them in. So I and I can't resist having potentially even better sound for falling asleep with. Other great things: they are also built rather well (they have taken a lot of abuse from me so far). They can be worn up or down. They are great for biking (low wind resistance). They are great for using under ear muffs when cutting the lawn etc. 

No brainer for me, even if they don't live up to the super-nova hype!

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #16,118 of 100,523
Just when I feel like it's time to stop reading this thread, SF and TwinQY post, and my faith in humanity is restored. How could I miss out on such great interaction?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Don't fall for THE HYPE doc.
wink.gif
You might get MUCH more then you had asked for.
evil_smiley.gif

Once a Discovery boi ALWAYS a Discovery boi, you're in fo' lyfe!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh and btw i am the alpha male in this twisted relationship, Twinkies is just the P........... lil' kitty cat. :wink:

Just when I feel its time to start reading this thread, they post, and my faith in humanity is no more.

:wink:

^ WHAT WAYNE SAID!!!
beerchug.gif

As you can see from my avatar, my world just got a bit Dsnuts lol. Props to Sf for whipping that up for me! I take back everything I said above - my faith is restored 
biggrin.gif

That's some nice fresh nut you got there WAYNE. SWAG!!!
cool.gif

Speaking of Gratitudes, couple of days of burn-in and man these gotta win a golden nut award.  Very spacious sound and that bass is something else.  It actually hits quite fast and doesn't linger.  Only draw back so far is the fit.  Weird housing shape has me fidgeting all the time to get proper seal.  Incredible value at $50-60 it can had currently.  Gotta snatch these up while supplies last.  

Speaking of the golden nut award, AVATAR CHANGE NOW, NUTS!!!

My Quadbeat and Quadbeat2 just arrived, this should be interesting
L3000.gif

Can't wait to impressions HYPED!!!

DIDNT have go to Nepal or mount Olympus!  "garbagebinonline" on ebay got five more vsd1 LE sets in.  now there are four, i nabbed one. looking forward to burn in them in
and seeing if they are magical like several head-fi commentators waxed on about them enthusiastically.  build looks solid in photos on ebay.
Meanwhile, back to oldie but goodie, listening to ZERO AUDIO Carbon Bassos (Neil Young, Psychedelic Pill)  more burn in created a deeper integrated sound
with Neils fuzz guitar must sublime on the Bassos, and good treble and mid balance making his voice actually pleasant. a true delight, and discovery thread find.  well done,
discovery thread and DSnuts and friends!

Nice, ANOTHER EASY VICTIM. hoho
beerchug.gif

Hybrid Goodness!! Perhaps. I haven't heard the new baby yet. We'll see.

Hope they sound good ericp, have no idea what those buggers are tbh, looks pretty sweet though.

I snagged one as well :)  Now there are 2 available.

I was thinking of getting another VSD1 (or VSD1S) as a backup anyway. The thing that pushed me over the edge with them (apart from the super-nova hype that Sf is flinging, and the pretty good hype that kova4a is flinging), is that I really love their form factor. The VSD1's work perfectly for me for sleeping because they are rather flush and I can lie with my head on the side with them in. So I and I can't resist having potentially even better sound for falling asleep with. Other great things: they are also built rather well (they have taken a lot of abuse from me so far). They can be worn up or down. They are great for biking (low wind resistance). They are great for using under ear muffs when cutting the lawn etc. 

No brainer for me, even if they don't live up to the super-nova hype!

VICTIM COUNT: #2

i be killin' it. Same reason why i got them as well WAYNE, i love the fact that you can just wear these straight down and not over the ears like gr07s. So comfy and easy.

BTW i have edited A LOT of the repetitiveness of the writeup. The flow is much better and points are ironed out mo' so.......

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #16,119 of 100,523
sf, they are another hybrid (dynamic driver and two BAs) that was rumored to be Astrotec's effort to actually try to copy the AGK K3003 and make them at a lower price. Of course, Astrotec - the company - denied they were trying to copy the sound of the K3003. And those who have heard both say the two sound nothing alike. But does that mean the AX-60 isn't a great sounding earphone? Nope, it doesn't mean that at all. Actually, these babies sound freaking fantastic, and are the fullest and most refined of the three hybrid I've heard (H-200, DN-1k, and this one). And it's like getting two earphones for the price of one, that's how different the filters make the IEM sound (hard pieces of metal that screw on and off the top of the earphone).

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #16,120 of 100,523
  sf, they are another hybrid (dynamic driver and two BAs) that was rumored to be Astrotec's effort to actually try to copy the AGK K3003 and make them at a lower price. Of course, Astrotec - the company - denied they were trying to copy the sound of the K3003. And those who have heard both say the two sound nothing alike. But does that mean the AX-60 isn't a great sounding earphone? Nope, it doesn't mean that at all. Actually, these babies sound freaking fantastic, and are the fullest and most refined of the three hybrid I've heard (H-200, DN-1k, and this one). And it's like getting two earphones for the price of one, that's how different the filters make the IEM sound (hard pieces of metal that screw on and off the top of the earphone).

LoL then they sound like they are built like the those AKGs. NICE!!!

Two words: HOW MUCHY???

edit: N/M seems like they are $300 a pop, misread it.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #16,121 of 100,523
The Astrotecs sound good, go for $329 on eBay...I assume we'll get more impressions/comparisons after burn in, hopefully 
smile.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #16,122 of 100,523
  Oh and btw i am the alpha male in this twisted relationship, Twinkies is just the P........... lil' kitty cat. :wink:
BTW i have edited A LOT of the repetitiveness of the writeup. The flow is much better and points are ironed out mo' so.......

Hung like a dog, how unfortunate.

Still reads like an autistic dog's writing, ah that flow.

Will try and find demo units for the Gratitude in stores. 

No one here with BA100 hype? 
And not a lot of talk on the new Audio-Technica IEM lineup...

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #16,123 of 100,523

At least i got something to hang, just like that nutman trophy, hoho Ds..................nuts you weak arse TMACer's ain't got.
cool.gif

Who needs flow when you gots dat TRILL SWAG!!! Dusty stale Twinkies just wouldn't get it.

Meh you need to get on the Limited Edition hustle tbh.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #16,124 of 100,523

Yeah get a crew on that will ya
rolleyes.gif

BA100, AT IEM's? Doesn't someone have to actually own one before it is "discovered"??????????????

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #16,125 of 100,523
A comparison of the Dunu DN-100 and AX-60, if any of you guys are really good at interpreting Chinese. I think the reviewer likes the Astrotec more, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

http://www.imp3.net/2/show.php?itemid=22362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back