The discovery thread!
Oct 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #15,241 of 103,223

Don't have the GR07BE, do have the original GR07 in my pile somewhere but not sure if that would help.

That would help. From reviews the GR07BE has slightly less sibilance and slightly more bass than the original. Can you compare the spaciousness (airy vs intimate), warmth of midrange, and extension on the high and low end.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry

OK, be happy to, still working on getting a good fit and seal on the 750's, without which the comparison is pretty meaningless. Haven't worn them in a while, but I don't recall loving the fit of the GR07 either (likely why I haven't used them much). I'll try to get all this stuff squared away and do a comparison soon as I can.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #15,243 of 103,223
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #15,245 of 103,223
@sf : I see you eyeballing the Vali......
biggrin.gif
What do you think?? I don't enjoy the microphonic bit and non-rollable/user replaceable. But at 120... eh. I've spent more.
smily_headphones1.gif

LoL BUSTED!!!
redface.gif
Welp gonna see how it looks 1st cuz i is superficial like that. haha All the hype impressions so far seems to make them out to be nothing but spectacular so.... pretty tempted to try one out if they indeed live up to the hype.

Only negative is that the tubes are soldered on and is not user replaceable like you said, but since they promised to service it for "cheap" when the tubes die then it is not a big deal. Plus those tunes should last pretty damn long. Oh right they mentioned about microphonics/ floor noise as well, but i ain't that concerned tbh. 

HYPED!!!
popcorn.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #15,247 of 103,223
It's a Schiit product so I'm going to say that it's going to be silver and sexy.
biggrin.gif
I can do some diy so I'll try taking it apart.

Welp since you are the most knowledgeable head-fier tube dood i know, i might have to consult your services if you are able to crack that tube. If successful then it would be real interesting to pair them with different tubes. I bet they put in a self destruct mechanism in there that once the tubes are removed they will auto melt down or something. I am sure they already took action to deter trouble makers such as yourself.

Silver and SEXCEEEEE......
... HYPED!!!

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #15,248 of 103,223
They already mentioned the circuitry/design is not compatible/ideal with other mini tubes I think. 

Direct from the Schitt people:

"Vali is a hybrid, using 6088 pencil tubes, triode-strapped, with a discrete bipolar follower stage that is somewhat related to the Magni's output stage. It is DC-coupled to the follower through a bipolar phase inverter and level shifter. The tubes run on a regulated 60V rail, which is fine for a tube rated for a maximum anode voltage of 67.5V. The bipolar part operates on a 27V rail. Its rated output will be about half that of the Magni.
Downsides? The microphonics (mentioned, and we'll be VERY clear about it in the FAQ) and no rolling. The tubes are soldered into the board, since their expected lifespan is in the 15-20k hour range, and it's what Raytheon recommended back in the day. Plus, even if you swapped in another tube, the rather unique operating range for these tubes means it probably wouldn't work."

but some first impressions are extremely excellently more than promising.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #15,249 of 103,223
  They already mentioned the circuitry/design is not compatible/ideal with other mini tubes I think. 

Direct from the Schitt people:

"Vali is a hybrid, using 6088 pencil tubes, triode-strapped, with a discrete bipolar follower stage that is somewhat related to the Magni's output stage. It is DC-coupled to the follower through a bipolar phase inverter and level shifter. The tubes run on a regulated 60V rail, which is fine for a tube rated for a maximum anode voltage of 67.5V. The bipolar part operates on a 27V rail. Its rated output will be about half that of the Magni.
Downsides? The microphonics (mentioned, and we'll be VERY clear about it in the FAQ) and no rolling. The tubes are soldered into the board, since their expected lifespan is in the 15-20k hour range, and it's what Raytheon recommended back in the day. Plus, even if you swapped in another tube, the rather unique operating range for these tubes means it probably wouldn't work."

but some first impressions are extremely excellently more than promising.

^ BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way to ruin the tube party nick!!!
mad.gif
<333s

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #15,250 of 103,223
nah   did you read that comment i sent..... retract the boos right now! Do IT.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #15,252 of 103,223
I've got mail!

Impressions and comparison to the H200 coming soon...

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #15,254 of 103,223
I've got mail!

Impressions and comparison to the H200 coming soon...

congats are in order i believe.
beerchug.gif

Just placed an order for my sound card should be here in two days. Giving the MX10 the source and much need amplification it deserves.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #15,255 of 103,223
Thanks guys. I'll give this at least 50hrs burn-in before I do any impression and comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back