The discovery thread!
Oct 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #15,256 of 103,204

Don't have the GR07BE, do have the original GR07 in my pile somewhere but not sure if that would help.

That would help. From reviews the GR07BE has slightly less sibilance and slightly more bass than the original. Can you compare the spaciousness (airy vs intimate), warmth of midrange, and extension on the high and low end.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry

OK, be happy to, still working on getting a good fit and seal on the 750's, without which the comparison is pretty meaningless. Haven't worn them in a while, but I don't recall loving the fit of the GR07 either (likely why I haven't used them much). I'll try to get all this stuff squared away and do a comparison soon as I can.

OK, listened last night...not sure I'm the one to give definitive impressions on this...I never like most of these oddball shaped iem's. My preference is the "bullet" shape, Etymotic, Tenore, others like that. The GR07's have sat around because I have trouble with seal/comfort on them. I played with tips for a bit, settled on some Monster tips. Next, I think my GR07's have some channel imbalence, the L side seemed quieter than it should be (wasn't dead, though). Now, having said that, seemed the 750's KILLED the GR07, more alive, wider, both have detail but really enjoyed listening to the 750's MUCH more, even trying to take all the above into account. GR07's kinda flat, boring in comparison (BE probably meant to fix this to some extent).

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #15,258 of 103,204

So I have to say. These headphones were much more than what I expected. How these headphones went completely under the collective at headfi is a big question I have..RUN don't walk RUN to your local best buy and throw down your cash for one of these HDJ1500s..

Ya sure they are DJ cans but the Sonic capabilities of these cans are nothing to joke around with. For $72 and some tax these are no joke. I remember when I did a HDJ500 review a while back what those sounded like. These are a direct upgrade and the sonic capabilities are stunning for the cost..These come with plushy donut type pads that are more on ears than over and I was listening to them that way and to me it sounded like the sound wanted to come out. These do have 50mm drivers..So I threw on my HM5 pads on them and what you know it opens up the sound big time. These easily sound like upper $200-$300 phones. Easily..

Yes you do have to be a fan of bass but what makes them sound crazy good is they have clarity and detail I have not heard on a DJ can.. The passive isolation is crazy good too. These sound better to me than my old UE6000 and I would even say is on par with my Sony 1Rs. Seriously they are that good.  32ohms makes them drive easy on any portable device for a source. Amped they sound insanely good. A deal. Absolutely one of the best I have come across this year.  With HM5 pads the isolation and sound makes for a perfect portable can on the go with some nice bass to drown out street noise. Excellent buy in every single way. Plus when was the last time you owned a Pioneer headphone? Try it out, if you don't like them you can return them simple as that..Best buy is phasing out these Pioneer DJ cans from their stores and you benefit.. Hurry n get one before they sell out of them. Best buys only have a few of these Pioneer cans in stock. Check your local best buys.  I haven't tried them yet but these benefit from bigger pads, I am using HM5 pads now on them but I have a feeling M50 pads will also work well on them. Maybe even better.. Good luck treasure hunting on this weekend. Find one. You will be glad you did.

GO!!!!

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #15,259 of 103,204
  OK, listened last night...not sure I'm the one to give definitive impressions on this...I never like most of these oddball shaped iem's. My preference is the "bullet" shape, Etymotic, Tenore, others like that. The GR07's have sat around because I have trouble with seal/comfort on them. I played with tips for a bit, settled on some Monster tips. Next, I think my GR07's have some channel imbalence, the L side seemed quieter than it should be (wasn't dead, though). Now, having said that, seemed the 750's KILLED the GR07, more alive, wider, both have detail but really enjoyed listening to the 750's MUCH more, even trying to take all the above into account. GR07's kinda flat, boring in comparison (BE probably meant to fix this to some extent).

Thank you very much Dr Jazz for taking the time comparing. I think I found my next IEM in the MA750i when Christmas comes around...unless a new discovery blows it out of the waters in the next few months...

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #15,260 of 103,204

So I have to say. These headphones were much more than what I expected. How these headphones went completely under the collective at headfi is a big question I have..RUN don't walk RUN to your local best buy and throw down your cash for one of these HDJ1500s..

Ya sure they are DJ cans but the Sonic capabilities of these cans are nothing to joke around with. For $72 and some tax these are no joke. I remember when I did a HDJ500 review a while back what those sounded like. These are a direct upgrade and the sonic capabilities are stunning for the cost..These come with plushy donut type pads that are more on ears than over and I was listening to them that way and to me it sounded like the sound wanted to come out. These do have 50mm drivers..So I threw on my HM5 pads on them and what you know it opens up the sound big time. These easily sound like upper $200-$300 phones. Easily..

Yes you do have to be a fan of bass but what makes them sound crazy good is they have clarity and detail I have not heard on a DJ can.. The passive isolation is crazy good too. These sound better to me than my old UE6000 and I would even say is on par with my Sony 1Rs. Seriously they are that good.  32ohms makes them drive easy on any portable device for a source. Amped they sound insanely good. A deal. Absolutely one of the best I have come across this year.  With HM5 pads the isolation and sound makes for a perfect portable can on the go with some nice bass to drown out street noise. Excellent buy in every single way. Plus when was the last time you owned a Pioneer headphone? Try it out, if you don't like them you can return them simple as that..Best buy is phasing out these Pioneer DJ cans from their stores and you benefit.. Hurry n get one before they sell out of them. Best buys only have a few of these Pioneer cans in stock. Check your local best buys.  I haven't tried them yet but these benefit from bigger pads, I am using HM5 pads now on them but I have a feeling M50 pads will also work well on them. Maybe even better.. Good luck treasure hunting on this weekend. Find one. You will be glad you did.

GO!!!!

Is the treble a bit dark like the 1R?

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #15,261 of 103,204
Welp since you are the most knowledgeable head-fier tube dood i know, i might have to consult your services if you are able to crack that tube. If successful then it would be real interesting to pair them with different tubes. I bet they put in a self destruct mechanism in there that once the tubes are removed they will auto melt down or something. I am sure they already took action to deter trouble makers such as yourself.

Silver and SEXCEEEEE......

... HYPED!!!
I think their choice in tube size, the 6088, will probably be the best so I wasn't planning on rolling other types. I might mod it like add dampeners and whatnot to cut down on the microphonics of it. And the DIY soldering part is going to be for future servicing mainly. So I can replace the tubes myself. Jason is talking about 10 years @ 4/hrs a day... I do about 8/hrs a day so that'll cut it down to 5 years and that's at ideal conditions. Tubes aren't guaranteed to last that long, they're just rated. I'd rather stockpile a half dozen pairs of the tubes and fix it myself. Save the shipping + whatever "cheap" fee it's going to take.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #15,262 of 103,204
Glad you have a pair d marc0. Can you take a photo of the back of the box? I want to see if we have the same versions. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #15,263 of 103,204
People need to try the new Rockit sounds R-Studio, definitely one of the best sub100 closed back cans. Warm with amazing soundstage and detachable cable

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #15,265 of 103,204
  Is the treble a bit dark like the 1R?

No. It has a very natural tone to the treble, sparkly extended right and not harsh, overall sound not dark, not bright just right to my ears..No weird peakiness I can detect. They do have mid bass but it is well controlled and adds a touch of warmth to the sounds but not dark at all. Bass is not as bloaty as the HDJ500. The sub bass pushes pretty hard on these cans.  I let them burn in over night and the sounds seems to have opened up a bit more so..There is a slight grain in the upper mids but doesn't sound out of whack and I have a feeling that will clear up more so with more time on the burn. These are not neutral but has a good mix of balance detail and bass. Mids are not as forward as the 1R but are well represented on these cans. Much better than I thought they would. These kind of remind me of my Denon D2000 a bit. The clarity is excellent. Much better than you would expect for DJ cans. No crazy bass bloat or over emphasized highs or anything like that. These cans sound awesome for instruments and has solid depth and nice width to music for closed cans..One thing Pioneer always gets right is space and staging for music. These have that in full force..Now that I think about it these have to be the best Pioneer cans I have heard actually..I think these give them new Onkyo headphones I recently got some competition for sounds as well..

Worth trying out for $72. Do try out some other pads that might fit the cups. These have a standard cup size for 50mm driver cans so many pads will fit these. Stock pads are surprisingly not uncomfortable. They are plushy but not like my HM5 pads.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #15,266 of 103,204
  No. It has a very natural tone to the treble, sparkly extended right and not harsh, overall sound not dark, not bright just right to my ears..No weird peakiness I can detect. They do have mid bass but it is well controlled and adds a touch of warmth to the sounds but not dark at all. Bass is not as bloaty as the HDJ500. The sub bass pushes pretty hard on these cans.  I let them burn in over night and the sounds seems to have opened up a bit more so..There is a slight grain in the upper mids but doesn't sound out of whack and I have a feeling that will clear up more so with more time on the burn. These are not neutral but has a good mix of balance detail and bass. Mids are not as forward as the 1R but are well represented on these cans. Much better than I thought they would. These kind of remind me of my Denon D2000 a bit. The clarity is excellent. Much better than you would expect for DJ cans. No crazy bass bloat or over emphasized highs or anything like that. These cans sound awesome for instruments and has solid depth and nice width to music for closed cans..One thing Pioneer always gets right is space and staging for music. These have that in full force..Now that I think about it these have to be the best Pioneer cans I have heard actually..I think these give them new Onkyo headphones I recently got some competition for sounds as well..

Worth trying out for $72. Do try out some other pads that might fit the cups. These have a standard cup size for 50mm driver cans so many pads will fit these. Stock pads are surprisingly not uncomfortable. They are plushy but not like my HM5 pads.

Sounds great, thanks! How do they stack up to the more expensive HDJ2000? And are they around-ear or over-ear?

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #15,268 of 103,204
You could potentially scrape it off or paint over it. But they are amazing for the price

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #15,269 of 103,204
there should be a monster nPulse vs HDJ1500 vs Rockit Sounds R studio comparison. 3 sub $100 cans that all seem to be godly and we the people of head-fi need to know more
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back