The discovery thread!
Oct 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #15,106 of 100,673
DX 50 is tempting... I'm waiting for my HiSound Anniversary III to come back to papa from China, though who knows how long it will take. Hangin' out, X3 into Gratitude, Albare on, who is one hell of a jazz guitarist., lines incredibly long, lotta time to kill waiting just for 1 ride. Tough, this Daddy business

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #15,107 of 100,673
Thanks doctorjazz for the detailed responses to my queries.  Its great to hear
how you (as well as DS and others) have heard specific combinations that
interact synergistically and bring out the best in various discovered discoveries
on this thread!   FABULOUS INFORMATION, true research!!  you
are audionauts exploring the boundries of sound and technology!

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #15,108 of 100,673
Headphones, the final frontier, this is the mission of the starship Head-Fi to boldly go on a mission to inner space where no audiophiles have gone before...

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #15,109 of 100,673
(music swelling here!)

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #15,110 of 100,673
(definitely have too much time on my hands :-D

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #15,111 of 100,673
  No real danger there unless the heat shrink is poorly done. The 2 volt output does seem  a little over the top though.

2 Volts, that's the sort of standard DAC output signalvoltage to feed the source properly.  Are you guys plugging headphones directly into these things? Is that their intended purpose? I forget, and me being too lazy now also doesn't help/ Guess I'll go see.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #15,112 of 100,673
  2 Volts, that's the sort of standard DAC output signalvoltage to feed the source properly.  Are you guys plugging headphones directly into these things? Is that their intended purpose? I forget, and me being too lazy now also doesn't help/ Guess I'll go see.

Somewhere in the copy it mentions it is not meant to drive headphones directly. Then again it also says that volume is easily software controlled.

It just kind of scares me that it is just heat shrunk with no real markings and an all to easy to plug and pop a headphone into 1/8 jack. Might push a set of orthos well though
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #15,113 of 100,673
hahah Yes good points all around. Thanks for confirming that info i looked a bit I guess not hard enough. So just meant to feed an external amp then.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #15,114 of 100,673
  hahah Yes good points all around. Thanks for confirming that info i looked a bit I guess not hard enough. So just meant to feed an external amp then.

Or perhaps a resistor network originally designed for the azzend of a speaker amp but put into service as an attenuator...........

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #15,115 of 100,673
not needing a Dac here but was wanting to clarify this for folks here so they don't get grief  ordering one thinking it's like the Eledac for can inputs.  The heat of the moment in here can get HOT at times. So much temptation.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #15,116 of 100,673
  not needing a Dac here but was wanting to clarify this for folks here so they don't get grief  ordering one thinking it's like the Eledac for can inputs.  The heat of the moment in here can get HOT at times. So much temptation.

Particularly in the sub 100 dollar arena. The words "No Brainer" seem made for it.

Although the more I think of it a project dac with a built in attenuation system, intrigues me.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #15,117 of 100,673
is there a good comparison between the kef m200's and hifiman re-400's anywhere in the thread? i'm going through a little upgraditis and wanna try something new. hopefully something as versatile as the re-400's for multiple genres but maybe more engaging.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #15,118 of 100,673
As a huge Hifiman fan, I didn't particularly care for the RE400's. Mainly in the treble region. They are still a fantastic earphone but if they tuned the midrange and the treble same as the RE272 and kept the RE400 bass, that would have been great.

The M200 will give more bass, especially in the sub-bass region. I'm not about to go into details on the rest since I haven't heard the 400's in awhile but the M200's are going to be less flat sounding and more colored compared. I think it's more engaging and agrees with most genres of music without being artificial sounding. Definitely a bigger, bolder sound which you might find better or worse.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #15,119 of 100,673
  is there a good comparison between the kef m200's and hifiman re-400's anywhere in the thread? i'm going through a little upgraditis and wanna try something new. hopefully something as versatile as the re-400's for multiple genres but maybe more engaging.

^ Welp to sum what little comparo between the two i have read: the re-400s is boringggggggggggg neutral sounding with a flatter sound, treble a bit rolled off, seems to be a down grade from their old lineups, but there is more bass presence etc. The m200 is more bass heavy yet is very balanced as well, with really forward/ lush mids and great treble extension as well.

This is what i have gathered, but i have never heard the REs, nor any hifiman product tbh so.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back