The discovery thread!
Oct 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #15,121 of 100,612
As a huge Hifiman fan, I didn't particularly care for the RE400's. Mainly in the treble region. They are still a fantastic earphone but if they tuned the midrange and the treble same as the RE272 and kept the RE400 bass, that would have been great.

The M200 will give more bass, especially in the sub-bass region. I'm not about to go into details on the rest since I haven't heard the 400's in awhile but the M200's are going to be less flat sounding and more colored compared. I think it's more engaging and agrees with most genres of music without being artificial sounding. Definitely a bigger, bolder sound which you might find better or worse.

well, genre versatility is pretty important to be so i tend to prefer more uncolored/neutral iem's for the most part. more sub bass would be appreciated. all in all though, given the trickiness with the fit issues with kef m200's i'm not sure if they're worth the upgrade. the new brainwavz sound interesting but i'm generally not a fan of bright earphones so i'm not sure. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #15,122 of 100,612
Fit is an issue with several people but there are many without issues as well. Like sf said, these don't lack in any part of the sound, it's well balanced but adds that fun and engagement factor. It will be something different over the 400 which might be nice to grab when you feel like it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #15,123 of 100,612
Fit is an issue with several people but there are many without issues as well. Like sf said, these don't lack in any part of the sound, it's well balanced but adds that fun and engagement factor. It will be something different over the 400 which might be nice to grab when you feel like it.

yeah, i'll think about it. might be nice to have something with a little more punch. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #15,124 of 100,612
OK, update on the RHA's (I know many of you couldn't sleep waiting for the update 
wink_face.gif
...)
Gave it another day break in, changed to Comply tips (I think these are my go-to's whenever I have a fit issue, which is often). The haze is gone! Nice sounding iem. Haven't done any of these head to head comparisons, just happy to hear nice, clear, open sound. Not sure, either fit, or angle I had them in at (which relates to fit, struggling to get them in properly), or burn in, or the phase of the moon...Definitely worthwhile, though. 
Out walking the dog, X3/Cardas/National/M-L Mykros...have I said how nice these are in a while? Definitely not bass head phones (have the AT 1K in now, these are BASS IEM'S!!!). Lose more bass outdoors than indoors, where they still aren't killer bass phones, but have sharp, tuneful bass there, and SUCH DETAIL!!!
Anyway, to beat some subjects to death (if they're not already dead), the AT 1K's were a real struggle for me, fit, sound, all coming together now. I agree with DS (and others) that these don't sound great through the X3. Using it line out as I mentioned above is a whole other matter, they ROCK!!! Clear, open, detail, of course that BASS-but it doesn't overwhelm, just swing like mad. This is when I began to think the amp section of the X3 was not up to the rest of the dap, especially the comparisons to the iBasso DX50, which much drive the AT's better. Of course, could be other things, a specific synergy, maybe my X3/National has it's own idiosyncratic synergy, Makes me wonder what the higher end daps sound like, the A & K, iBasso DX100, Hifiman 900, upcoming Sony, which I'd expect to be a killer. Too bad no way to audition these where I am, at least not that I know of; these all involve a bit more outlay of green, not as easy to just experiment with as the $200 daps (still money, of course, but much easier to play with than the $8-1200 the next level play at).

(in case anyone was curious-a small bit of Cardas goodness, mini to mini connector if you need such a thing, about $20 purchase at Amazon, worthwhile IMO), CARDAS HPI Audiophile Interconnect Cable Adapter Male 1/8" 3.5mm TRS Mini-Plug)

Great Alt Country duo, my morning listening...

Switched to this to listen to the AT's, as I mention ad nauseum, one of the best Power Pop bands EVER.

(True dat)

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #15,125 of 100,612
Glad you are finally able to hear the MA750s in their full sound..I do enjoy them much. I think it has to be one of the best iems for the cash this year.

As far as why the X3 by itself has a negative effect on the CKS1K. It is the sound signature of the DAP that don't agree with the CKS1K.  The X3 is a very dynamic musical sounding Dap meaning it has emphasis in a slightly forward mid range and boosted bass. Add a similar sound signature of the CKS1K and you have a sound that is too forward with too big of a bass end. Makes the sound nasty and unrefined. The X3 is more akin to an old school stereo sound to my ears vs leaning toward a more neutral sound which is more the flavor of the DX50.

If I was to choose one out of the two, that is a big toss up because to me it is awesome how both daps have a complete different take on the WM8740 chip. Both amp sections brings a different flavor all together.. I much prefer neutral sounding phones with my X3 and more colored phones with the DX50..

The reason why phones like the CKS1K, FXZ00 and I bet the M200 as well sounds exceptionally excellent on the DX50 is because the Dap don't add any more coloration to the stock sound of these phones and in return makes them shine.

This may sound like the better choice out of the 2 popular daps due the less colored presentation on it's sound but the X3 using the right phones is just as good if not better than listening to a full blown hi end stereo at your home. I think either way it is more to love about our hobby. To me the more flavoring choices the better..Especially for guys that enjoy all types of music genres.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #15,126 of 100,612
Don't disagree, just drilling down a bit...I get the same impression of the 1K through the X3, didn't like it, put them away for a bit. The X3/Cardas/National combo though, makes them sing. Have you tried the X3 line out into one of your better amps? Curious if you notice the same thing. Of course, could be synergy again, the X3/ALO National may have a thing going, haven't tried it with other amps. It does make me suspect the difference is in the amp part, though, whether it is coloration, power, or something else, as bypassing it makes it great sounding in my set up. (in other words, the DAC is 1st rate, the amp is very nice, but has some issues of some sort).

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #15,127 of 100,612
Yes I have. I used my X3 and 2Stepdance amp. It sounds great for just about all my phones using this combo but I have to admit I actually like the DX50 line out more so, just because I can control the volume in line out mode using the player. Both sound great through line out though. I think your right. I recognize the amped sound of the X3. I also own the Fiio E11 which also has similar sound qualities as the amp portion of the X3. The "Fiio house sound" I suppose bypassing the amp portion and using higher end amps is always an option.. Speaking of.

I ended up getting both of these.

I am eager to hear how these silver cables do with my X1 and the L interconnects with my DX50 and 2Step. Will report when I get both.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #15,129 of 100,612
The R3 has the more stage both in depth and width, they kinda sound like an open phone because it uses 2 chambers with that big housing, but it is the MA750 that has the more details to my ears..The stage is average on the MA750 but has really good depth in the sound however.  Bass is more defined on the MA750 as well. It is that airy sound of the S3 people will like, makes vocals stand out. It is more of the clarity, imagery, balance of the MA750 that is solid on the MA750.

If you like your sound tight, dynamic, clean go with the MA750

If you want a big spacious layered presentation in sound, try out the R3.

Both have a neutral tilt to their sounds, Both builds are absolutely solid, The R3 does have the better isolation of the two.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #15,130 of 100,612
  Yes I have. I used my X3 and 2Stepdance amp. It sounds great for just about all my phones using this combo but I have to admit I actually like the DX50 line out more so, just because I can control the volume in line out mode using the player. Both sound great through line out though. I think your right. I recognize the amped sound of the X3. I also own the Fiio E11 which also has similar sound qualities as the amp portion of the X3. The "Fiio house sound" I suppose bypassing the amp portion and using higher end amps is always an option.. Speaking of.

I ended up getting both of these.

I am eager to hear how these silver cables do with my X1 and the L interconnects with my DX50 and 2Step. Will report when I get both.

Nice cables, have the long one, as you know. Had been using it as my Line out connector for the X3, but it has been supplanted by the Cardas mentioned previoulsy (does sound great, though, much improvement over generic connector). Curious what you think.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #15,131 of 100,612
  The R3 has the more stage both in depth and width, they kinda sound like an open phone because it uses 2 chambers with that big housing, but it is the MA750 that has the more details to my ears..The stage is average on the MA750 but has really good depth in the sound however.  Bass is more defined on the MA750 as well. It is that airy sound of the S3 people will like, makes vocals stand out. It is more of the clarity, imagery, balance of the MA750 that is solid on the MA750.

If you like your sound tight, dynamic, clean go with the MA750

If you want a big spacious layered presentation in sound, try out the R3.

Both have a neutral tilt to their sounds, Both builds are absolutely solid, The R3 does have the better isolation of the two.

Thanks! 

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #15,132 of 100,612
DS-There is a practical point to all of this, of course...if I read you correctly (and correct me if I'm not), once you go to line out, the main improvement of the iBasso is convenience, being able to use the dap volume control (means to me volume is controlled in the digital domain). Certainly there is a convenience factor in that, as well as not having to attach and drag around a portable amp, but as I'm doing that 90% of the time with the X3 and I'm OK with it,makes the need for the iBasso less pressing (can save for one of those rediculously expensive daps I mentioned, or just live happily ever after with what I've got...YEAH, RIGHT).

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #15,133 of 100,612
Ya the line out of both are comparable though I did read a report on another thread how the DX50 does have a cleaner line out but I can't distinguish that between the two from what I am hearing. I can use the volume controls on the DX50 in line out mode but that is really a non factor as you can just lower your volume through your amp. That volume comes in handy when I have my DX50 and 2Step stacked though so more convenient.The reason why you would want to get a DX50 is if  you want a more neutral sounding Dap over the X3 which you can easily do by using line out to another more neutral amp. So not a real necessity...I was gonna go for the X5 but decided to try out the DX50 as I had a feeling it was going to be more neutral in sound based on early reports. Between the 2 daps it covers all the various cans and earphones I own perfectly so it was worth it for me. 

I do like the X3 line out in my car using an Aux cable over the DX50. Seems to put out more volume out of the 2.

Just a guess but I have a feeling the X5 will sound more closer to the DX50 than the X3. More neutral but should be a higher quality sound over the DX50 with a better bass end and a richer sound.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #15,134 of 100,612
Yes I bought one for the team.. Will see if these actually can hold 64 gigs of music. Lol. I had to do it for science as I was at a target last night and was not going pay $100. Will report back. Fingers crossed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/64GB-MICRO-SD-TF-MEMORY-CARD-WITH-ADAPTER-KINGSTON-64-GB-/380736553904

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #15,135 of 100,612
  Yes I bought one for the team.. Will see if these actually can hold 64 gigs of music. Lol. I had to do it for science as I was at a target last night and was not going pay $100. Will report back. Fingers crossed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/64GB-MICRO-SD-TF-MEMORY-CARD-WITH-ADAPTER-KINGSTON-64-GB-/380736553904

I'm almost sure that is a fake, but in a miraculous event where it isn't, you'll be a lucky owner of 64 GB microsd card for only 20$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back