The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 29, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #9,273 of 21,761
I actually have tried the 8323s and found them really underwhelming as well. "Just mess around with EQ and you have best IEMs ever"... not so much. Maybe it was inherent bias by me, but it just didn't sound good... not to mention the fit issues you mentioned. Seriously, you can't even walk around with those things.

Like most budget items here (well, like almost everything here, but I'm narrowing my focus), the 8323s get oversold by its adherents who confuse "They are good sounding earphones and cost $7" with "They are good sounding for $7 earphones". Items that perform better than their price tend to be the target of hackers and modders who feel encouraged to see how far they can bring them. At the same time, the modders tend to let their enthusiasm for tinkering interfere with their judgement of the things they're tinkering with.

When you're told that to get good audio on a tight budget, buy the 8323 and a package of Comply tips (that cost 150% as much), it's time to consider IEMs in the $15-25 price range.

That's utter BS. When I sent a request in a few months ago, I was told there were no review samples, that all of them were going to retailers and the only way to try it was to demo it at one of these retailers. I have the original e-mail if anyone is interested.

Having 0 units for review also means having sent out all their review units :)

But yeah, they're acting weird.

You see... that's what I thought.  Then I found this:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656394/too-much-competition-what-headphones-should-i-get-for-100-180#post_9281358  And then I kind of overreacted to it... I actually thought I was going to get banned for my post.  :eek:   Luckily, Currawong took great pity on me, and I was saved.

Calling out others on their behavior is easy. Backing it up irrefutably can be hard. So, maybe it had been time to bring the guy's attention to his own behavior.

I notice he hasn't returned to the thread since Currawong's remarks.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #9,274 of 21,761
Quote:

Um, wut?  Maybe my unit is defective or something... but did you say that the UE700 has bass? 
biggrin.gif

It does!

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #9,276 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if anyone has ever blocked me? 

I blocked you at some point because there is only so much awesomeness I can take in a day.

biggrin.gif
  Had I a shred of awesomeness in me, I'd have discovered this a year ago:

But I thank you anyway for the kind thought. 
redface.gif

Quote:
When you're told that to get good audio on a tight budget, buy the 8323 and a package of Comply tips (that cost 150% as much), it's time to consider IEMs in the $15-25 price range.

+10 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
You see... that's what I thought.  Then I found this:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656394/too-much-competition-what-headphones-should-i-get-for-100-180#post_9281358  And then I kind of overreacted to it... I actually thought I was going to get banned for my post. 
eek.gif
  Luckily, Currawong took great pity on me, and I was saved.

Calling out others on their behavior is easy. Backing it up irrefutably can be hard. So, maybe it had been time to bring the guy's attention to his own behavior.

I notice he hasn't returned to the thread since Currawong's remarks.

Nope, though from looking through his posts, I noticed that he likes to hit and run... posting about once a month or so.  Just hope he doesn't blow up the next time he logs in and sees it.

Quote:
Quote:
did you say that the UE700 has bass? 
biggrin.gif

It does!

biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #9,283 of 21,761
Whenever I see "Chiri-chan" I automatically read it as "Chris-chan." L-O-L.

Sometimes I forget that I'm not the only one who reads about this inane stuff. LOLLL

Quick question of the day: My friend is looking for IEMs under $250.

He described his taste as "intense" sounding. Based on his music taste (folk, indie, emotional stuff) I deduced he would do good with mid forward with good bass. He's averse to sibilance (like me). OTOH he wants something forgiving that can do well with various things. I'm not looking for a perfect answer, just suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #9,284 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting my HE-6 and LCD-3 re-done by Martin Custom Audio.

The LCD-3 in particular.... I really dislike that stock zebra wood. Bleh. 

Wow!  Would you happen to know what the ballpark pricing would be on that?  I just happen to have an HE-5LE in need of repair anyway.  Maybe I could justify this to myself somehow...

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #9,285 of 21,761
Quick question of the day: My friend is looking for IEMs under $250.

He described his taste as "intense" sounding. Based on his music taste (folk, indie, emotional stuff) I deduced he would do good with mid forward with good bass. He's averse to sibilance (like me). OTOH he wants something forgiving that can do well with various things. I'm not looking for a perfect answer, just suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Does he want to use it outside? If not, I will say the Chiri-chan (EDIT: the MDR-7550) LOL. I'm sure lee would agree with me LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back