The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 29, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #9,241 of 21,761
Quote:
Well I sent a email out to JPS today got this hours later

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your offer for review. All review samples are already spoken for into the Fall of this year.

Take care… Joe

Looks like we might see some reviews on head-fi soon. Or not. Who knows

That's utter BS. When I sent a request in a few months ago, I was told there were no review samples, that all of them were going to retailers and the only way to try it was to demo it at one of these retailers. I have the original e-mail if anyone is interested.

So either they're just making up BS responses on the fly (which I suspect), or they've changed their mind and decided I could go to hell (having been in contact with them since last year). Either way, that's not good customer service.

Honestly.. spoken for until the fall? Right. Uh huh.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #9,242 of 21,761
Quote:
I know it was a joke, but the "five dollar fier" thing is really fun to me. I wonder if there is some sleeper godlike IEM/headphone for under $100 that competes with far higher priced headphones.

As a fairly unexperienced head fier I don't really know the quantifiable differences between a $25, $50, $100, $400, $800, $1500 headphone. I've tried a couple from every bracket but couldn't tell you why I liked one more than the other.

Agreed, it's still fun for me too, despite the fact that I own a few $1000 IEMs. Also helps to keep things in perspective. In fact I've one of these sleepers on my radar in my ears right now...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Damn my 5 dollar speaker is really picky, looks like I need a Proper Dac and Some nice sounding Flac files 
size]
 Its probably the most picky audio equipment in my house 
size]
 But it does sound nice with strings  
size]

Flac is not enough, you need WAV.
wink.gif

Quote:

I'm also incredibly unsold on the Monoprice 8323.  Maybe it is the greatest budget IEM ever in some reality somewhere... but not for me in this world.  Anything that takes that amount of foreplay just to get a decent seal has got me totally pissed off by the time I even start the first track.  And I've been - frankly - too lazy to even try the Philips SHE????.

Having said all that, there are a few budget models that I personally enjoy, like RHA's MA350 and MA450i.  While both exhibit an irregular and slightly u-shaped signature paired with a generous serving of bass, they do play well with a lot of the stuff that I listen to.  But I wouldn't call them giant killers.  My UE700 have nothing to fear from them.

SHE3590. They're actually well suited for commuting, decent isolation, lots of deep bass and reasonably clear mids and highs. No glaring flaws. Probably the cheapest phone I'd be content with for a while.

Quote:
Wait could the UE700 be giant killlers? Maybe its just nostalgia but I feel the UE700 could compare with the SE535

The UE700 have little to fear from similarly analytical IEMs in quiet surroundings. But take them out into the streets and you start wondering why they left the bass at home.
wink.gif

Quote:
I actually have tried the 8323s and found them really underwhelming as well. "Just mess around with EQ and you have best IEMs ever"... not so much. Maybe it was inherent bias by me, but it just didn't sound good... not to mention the fit issues you mentioned. Seriously, you can't even walk around with those things.

I'm looking forward to trying out a Rin-modded Monoprice that's reported to be better than the Senn IE800.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #9,243 of 21,761
Quote:
Supposedly the Sansa Fuze LOD cables work on the e200 players too. I can at least confirm that the Fuze and E200-series share the same proprietary USB cable, so maybe one of those Fuze LODs will bypass the CPU noise you hear from the headphone-out. (Thankfully, I don't use IEMs so I barely notice that noise you mention, but it is certainly there). So Fuze LOD, grab a portable amp, and BAM! Warren's got a transportable brick! 
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about that actually... but the fates have decreed that it shall not be.  First of all, those LOD cables are notoriously hard to find outside of fleaBay (which is somewhere I hate to tread).  Second... in addition to the general head out noise, I can also hear the player seek and load.  It's not the worst sound in the world, but it kinda irks me.  So, I'll think I'll be using the Sansa as a little disposable player for now, while I continue to plan for a bigger brick. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I'm also incredibly unsold on the Monoprice 8323. Maybe it is the greatest budget IEM ever in some reality somewhere... but not for me in this world. Anything that takes that amount of foreplay just to get a decent seal has got me totally pissed off by the time I even start the first track. And I've been - frankly - too lazy to even try the Philips SHE????.

I actually have tried the 8323s and found them really underwhelming as well. "Just mess around with EQ and you have best IEMs ever"... not so much. Maybe it was inherent bias by me, but it just didn't sound good... not to mention the fit issues you mentioned. Seriously, you can't even walk around with those things.

I don't think it was your bias, or we share the same bias. 
smile.gif
  I won't go so far as to say that it's way off balance because it was actually alright compared with its peers.  But honestly, the thing sounded half dead.  It just sucked the life right out of the music, and presumably, dispersed it all into the ether because the thing won't seal worth a Jean Claude Van Damme.

Quote:
Welcome to headfi and the quagmire of conflict that always plaques the forum. :p Once you are here long enough you get more adept at wading through the garbage.

You see... that's what I thought.  Then I found this:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656394/too-much-competition-what-headphones-should-i-get-for-100-180#post_9281358  And then I kind of overreacted to it... I actually thought I was going to get banned for my post. 
eek.gif
  Luckily, Currawong took great pity on me, and I was saved.

Quote:

Actually, no, probably the 7550

Good man! 
smile.gif

Quote:

That's utter BS. When I sent a request in a few months ago, I was told there were no review samples, that all of them were going to retailers and the only way to try it was to demo it at one of these retailers. I have the original e-mail if anyone is interested.

So either they're just making up BS responses on the fly (which I suspect), or they've changed their mind and decided I could go to hell (having been in contact with them since last year). Either way, that's not good customer service.

Honestly.. spoken for until the fall? Right. Uh huh.

Oh no, I totally believe you.  I think they are 100% off their rocker for not sending you one.  If it's nearly as good as they claim it to be, they should be shouting it from the rooftops! 

I'm starting at them with great suspicion right now as I'm just not sure what their angle is.  But given the community's propensity to hype the next FOTM, the lack of enthusiasm is very telling.

Quote:
Quote:
I know it was a joke, but the "five dollar fier" thing is really fun to me. I wonder if there is some sleeper godlike IEM/headphone for under $100 that competes with far higher priced headphones.

Agreed, it's still fun for me too, despite the fact that I own a few $1000 IEMs. Also helps to keep things in perspective. In fact I've one of these sleepers on my radar in my ears right now...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Have any of you guys tried that $25 ELE dac that Dsnuts was raving about a while back?  The thought of such a value priced product does intrigue me, but I think I'm inherently suspicious of any hardware that looks worse than something I could build myself.

Quote:
Quote:

And I've been - frankly - too lazy to even try the Philips SHE????.

SHE3590. They're actually well suited for commuting, decent isolation, lots of deep bass and reasonably clear mids and highs. No glaring flaws. Probably the cheapest phone I'd be content with for a while.

Yeah, but you can't tell me that you wouldn't buy something better the first chance you got. 
wink.gif

Quote:

The UE700 have little to fear from similarly analytical IEMs in quiet surroundings. But take them out into the streets and you start wondering why they left the bass at home.
wink.gif

Um, wut?  Maybe my unit is defective or something... but did you say that the UE700 has bass? 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Rin-modded Monoprice that's reported to be better than the Senn IE800.
smile_phones.gif

I've always been rather dismayed at the lack of ROFLMAO emoticons here...

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #9,244 of 21,761
Quote:

You see... that's what I thought.  Then I found this:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656394/too-much-competition-what-headphones-should-i-get-for-100-180#post_9281358  And then I kind of overreacted to it... I actually thought I was going to get banned for my post. 
eek.gif
  Luckily, Currawong took great pity on me, and I was saved.

lol I'd have gotten angry at that as well. Sometimes you just have to take a deep-breath and just ignore them :p. So far I've only added one moron to my ignore list.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #9,248 of 21,761
@warren that troll hunting post was absolutely epic. nice work!

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #9,250 of 21,761
Stop making me fanboying over Chiri-chan some more!

Why is it so good???? ;_;7

The 7550 is amazingly underrated. I dont know why it didn't make a huge splash on head fi given that it's a more forgiving EX1000. Initial availability probably hurt it but you can get it on Amazon now for cheap...

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #9,252 of 21,761
Quote:
You are lucky, my list is longer...

lol well I've though to add a whole lot more to that list but I just don't bother. Anyways how headfi has the ignore list set up is like "providing you the gasoline and matches" lol. You still see the persons posts technically although its blocked out. Thing is if you see it to begin with it still temps you to look :D.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #9,253 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

lol I'd have gotten angry at that as well. Sometimes you just have to take a deep-breath and just ignore them :p. So far I've only added one moron to my ignore list.

You are lucky, my list is longer...

Wow, you guys have blocked people?  Luckily, I haven't added anyone to my list yet, and I hope I never have to. 

It's just, that guy... he could've just made his rec.  He didn't have to open up by attacking the other recs.  But since he did, well, precedent's a b**ch.

Quote:
You can always use my good friend ROFLMAOZEDONG

Code:
 _____ / \ // \\ d -= =- b \ ___ / \_____/

Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the loans guys. 
smile.gif

Quote:
@warren that troll hunting post was absolutely epic. nice work!

Thank you Sir Maxvla... much obliged. 
smile.gif
  To be fair though, his past posts made it so that he hanged himself.  I just took over for the wonderful search function we have here at Head-Fi.

Quote:
lol well I've though to add a whole lot more to that list but I just don't bother. Anyways how headfi has the ignore list set up is like "providing you the gasoline and matches" lol. You still see the persons posts technically although its blocked out. Thing is if you see it to begin with it still temps you to look :D.

Hmm, I'm curious, is it also blacked out when other people quote them?

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #9,254 of 21,761
Well balanced and doesn't do much of anything wrong :wink:.

You're preaching to the choir at this point. :wink: But 1 nitpick though: the cable. It's good (ergonomically, no stance on sound. Nothing yet at any rate) but.... the memory wire part of it is kind of finicky for me. Having said that and read tom's review on that sweet ass cloth cable in his blog, I wonder if the company can make one with the appropriate IEM-side connectors.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #9,255 of 21,761
Quote:
It's just, that guy... he could've just made his rec.  He didn't have to open up by attacking the other recs.  But since he did, well, precedent's a b**ch.

Thanks for the loans guys. 
smile.gif

Thank you Sir Maxvla... much obliged. 
smile.gif
  To be fair though, his past posts made it so that he hung himself.  I just took over for the wonderful search function we have here at Head-Fi.

Wow, you guys have blocked people?  Luckily, I haven't added anyone to my list yet, and I hope I never have to.
Hmm, I'm curious, is it also blacked out when other people quote them?

Well it still shows the persons name who made the post and it has the post blocked out (like the spoiler quote box lol). Thus for my comments of giving matches and the gasoline for the fire :wink:... As gray said if someone quotes them you'll see it :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back