The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #7,486 of 21,761
Planescape Torment is a bit of a classic psychodrama.  It has some pretty obtuse puzzles though, so I suspect that most people that play it nowadays use a walkthrough.

It's $10 on GOG and GamersGate, and often goes on sale for $5 or gets bundled with other similar games.  It's worth the money if you have the time to play it (it's probably a 50 hour game).

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #7,487 of 21,761
^Yep, Soil&Pimp Sessions and Ego Wrappin are some good Japanese jazz bands. Pimp Sessions' version of the Lupin theme is awesome:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkqR_Bgeogo
Great stuff!

What the bloody flying f- anime enthusiasts are going to flay me alive, burn me at the stake and revive me to repeat the process for not watching Lupin III, but that song is so familiar, but from a different source: Touhou songs. Wat.

@maxvla, I know. I mean... some people really wants this.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #7,488 of 21,761
Quote:
To any and all old school gamers, Planescape: Torment is getting a spiritual legacy in the form of Torment: Tides of Numenara. So if you believe in KickStarter, go fund this already-funded-in-less-than-a-day game. Never heard of Torment, but after looking at the kickstarter, now I kind of want to play it.

The real question is, are they bringing Sheena Easton back...  
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #7,490 of 21,761
I'm supposed to be at work. Instead, I'm taking the afternoon off at a place called The Huntington Library & Gardens, watching koi swim by, and listening to a live gu zheng player. About to order some tea. Here is the view I'm looking at right now.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #7,492 of 21,761
Ooooh, ducks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #7,493 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm supposed to be at work. Instead, I'm taking the afternoon off at a place called The Huntington Library & Gardens, watching koi swim by, and listening to a live gu zheng player. About to order some tea. Here is the view I'm looking at right now.

Sounds better than working!  I must confess to having had to Google "gu zheng".
smile.gif

That is a lovely view.... it looks perfect for enjoying a cup of Earl Grey and some soothing tunes.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #7,494 of 21,761
Quote:

Great to see you pursue restoration. This contribution made my entire week...and it's only Wednesday!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #7,495 of 21,761
The Castle of Cagliostro might be the best Lupin III movie. Directed by Miyazaki, of all people. If you're familiar with any of Monkey Punch's Lupin III manga, you might be annoyed by how sanitized and sentimental this is, but it's an excellent introduction to the core cast, the animation is great (for the period, anyway), and the action is pretty nearly non-stop.

Hey, page 500.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #7,497 of 21,761
Quote:
To any and all old school gamers, Planescape: Torment is getting a spiritual legacy in the form of Torment: Tides of Numenara. So if you believe in KickStarter, go fund this already-funded-in-less-than-a-day game. Never heard of Torment, but after looking at the kickstarter, now I kind of want to play it.

*STARTS TO SMASH KEYbOARD SPASmoDICALLY*

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #7,500 of 21,761

I wasn't talking about you. Besides I can't very well make an assessment based on one or two tracks. Even if it's something like totally horrendous, we've all got guilty pleasures. There's value in kitsch. 

My post mainly stems from my thinking about music discussion and sharing in general.

I've also been thinking about the concepts of tough love and complacency. I know a lot of people will recoil in horror at the suggestion that some people have better taste than others and that the "I like what I like" view is kind of a crock. It comes from a very relativistic, individualistic mindset. And there's definitely legitimacy to that when you consider the inherent difficulties in determining a standard reference, qualifications for judging others, etc. Being comfortable with yourself is good. However! I think it can often lead to stagnation. Sometimes we need a swift kick in the ass to broaden our horizons.

I'm reminded of something Chesterton said regarding this modern notion of "believing in yourself." It's often the hacks that believe in themselves most. Also if you want to find a place where a lot of folks believe in themselves unconditionally, just look to the nearest insane asylum.

Getting back to music, I'm also reminded of our old pal music_4321 who would always say being obscure doesn't automatically make something good. That's something I strongly agree with, too. Having "good taste" isn't just about knowing the most obscure bands or subgenres no one has ever heard of outside of a chosen few. I do think it has a lot to do with diversifying one's pallet however. One should have broad horizons. In that sense it's not so much about fixating on what to include or what to exclude at present, but rather continual exploration and consumption. It's that tired but relevant cliche of stepping outside one's comfort zone.

In that sense I think those LJ ratings communities had value. Plus the people who submitted lists did so willingly knowing full well what the nature of the game was in advance. When I was a freshman in college I thought I was hot stuff because I liked a lot of obscure music and films, and I felt I was provocative as a result. I needed someone to take me down a few pegs for my own good.

I understand where you are coming from. Spending a lot of time discovering new music and making the effort of listening to more demanding music will make you like that I think. I sometimes have the same attitude with books...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back