The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,676 of 21,761

Now that's a gorgeous watch. The only thing I'd change is swap out the leather band for a stainless steel band. That watch would be mine if only it didn't cost freaking $5650.00 bones!!!!

Did I mention I finally got tired of shopping for watches and decided on a cheapo Caravelle watch by Bulova for 90 bones. Why can't a Johnny Lunch Pail like myself find a nice quality watch for under 400 bones that doesn't look like it was made of tin and styled by someone on crack. Seriously, a guy shouldn't have to pay the price tag of a small used car for a nicely styled mans watch with quality workmanship behind it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #3,677 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
I don't get it. 
confused.gif

Originally Posted by DigitalFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had my iPod Classic forever and carried it around everywhere I went. Having it's HD begin to fail and having to trade it in was like losing an old friend

Originally Posted by veyrongatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apple has this program that lets you bring in old ipods and trade them in for something new....

Oh I see...
redface.gif
  Just couldn't see the increase/change in functionality there.  Don't think of it as a new friend, think of it as reincarnation!

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #3,678 of 21,761
Quote:

Now that's a gorgeous watch. The only thing I'd change is swap out the leather band for a stainless steel band. That watch would be mine if only it didn't cost freaking $5650.00 bones!!!!

Did I mention I finally got tired of shopping for watches and decided on a cheapo Caravelle watch by Bulova for 90 bones. Why can't a Johnny Lunch Pail like myself find a nice quality watch for under 400 bones that doesn't look like it was made of tin and styled by someone on crack. Seriously, a guy shouldn't have to pay the price tag of a small used car for a nicely styled mans watch with quality workmanship behind it.

U-Boat makes cool-looking watches, but they're massive (usually at least 44mm and more like 46 or 48mm), and they don't exactly conform to haute horlogerie; they pretty much use off the shelf ETA movements, which is not worth it when it's >$5000 IMHO.

If you'd like an affordable mechanical watch, I recommend Japanese. Orient makes great quality mechanical watches that are done in-house, and the trusty Seiko 5 is always a great choice. There are some dark horse candidates from New Zealand in the form of Magrette, which uses nice Miyota (Citizen) movements or an US company that makes their watches in Switzerland called Xetum.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #3,679 of 21,761
I was listening to this podcast episode today: 

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/12/chris_anderson_2.html

And I was just thinking. Why don't we as a community build an open source headphone? Start by gathering up T50RP drivers and then bolting them into some new enclosure we rapid prototype with makerbots and the like, then go from there...

Or something like that.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,680 of 21,761
Now I sort of wish I wasn't a regular on this thread because then I could believe that this thread is just one person. I love crazy conspiracy theories like "what's the point of this thread? They don't talk about anything. It must be all one person, crazily sitting in their room perpetuating the thread with various different accounts." Of course this could be still true and I'm just an idiotic bystander contributing to a thread that is essentially a conversation between me and Romy's various personalities.

Or maybe I'm just another personality and I'm writing this post to trick skeptics o.0

well somehow bcasey4raptor and other banned members didn't manage to sign up again afaik.

Then again, the ones which were banned and did manage to sign up again, go unnoticed.

SO it's like asking "how many criminals are there in the world?" and then counting how many are convicted, well what about all the crime which goes unnoticed?  Scary thought.

I know in some countries it's illegal for newspapers to report certain crimes.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,681 of 21,761
Quote:
Now I sort of wish I wasn't a regular on this thread because then I could believe that this thread is just one person. I love crazy conspiracy theories like "what's the point of this thread? They don't talk about anything. It must be all one person, crazily sitting in their room perpetuating the thread with various different accounts." Of course this could be still true and I'm just an idiotic bystander contributing to a thread that is essentially a conversation between me and Romy's various personalities.
Or maybe I'm just another personality and I'm writing this post to trick skeptics o.0

Wow. That was so smart of Romy to invent a complete antagonist to her views like Mutabor. I'm impressed!

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #3,682 of 21,761
Quote:

And I was just thinking. Why don't we as a community build an open source headphone? Start by gathering up T50RP drivers and then bolting them into some new enclosure we rapid prototype with makerbots and the like, then go from there...

Or something like that.

I like this idea. The only problem I see with that is our tastes in headphones are as widespread as the sea, and for many of us, devotion to that is just as deep. Although I would LOVE to brainstorm on this, it would be harder the more users we got on it. 

But hey, if we can figure something out, I'm game :D

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #3,683 of 21,761
Ahh, but sound signatures are what we could consider a 'fork'. The thing is that making a universal headband assembly, mounting baffle for the driver, and then just making different types of earcups for different signatures would already be pretty wonderful.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #3,684 of 21,761
Hey A_rec, already selling your Logitech UE6000000? =/

I noted ericp10 returned his the next day, but he's raving about the new JVC FXZ IEM's...

I know you're a fan of JVC IEM's, but I get the feeling most people here think "well it's just a... special edition FXT-90..." myself included sorta.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #3,685 of 21,761
I like this idea. The only problem I see with that is our tastes in headphones are as widespread as the sea, and for many of us, devotion to that is just as deep. Although I would LOVE to brainstorm on this, it would be harder the more users we got on it. But hey, if we can figure something out, I'm game. :D

I basically see it as a good idea, but before anyone even in the position would be to develop something, it would be necessary to discuss some basic questions. There are lots of good HP's out there and it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel. So it should be something really challenging.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #3,686 of 21,761
Quote:

I noted ericp10 returned his the next day, but he's raving about the new JVC FXZ IEM's...

I know you're a fan of JVC IEM's, but I get the feeling most people here think "well it's just a... special edition FXT-90..." myself included sorta.

Yeah kiteki; I like the UE6000 but I don't have that many ears. Otherwise I'd love to keep them because they look so awesome and sound pretty awesome too.

I like the FXD80 but I still feel a bit mixed about the new series, since they seem so large as to be impractical. I really wished they made an FXD80 that was a bit more neutral and also properly channel matched etc.

Quote:
I basically see it as a good idea, but before anyone even in the position would be to develop something, it would be necessary to discuss some basic questions. There are lots of good HP's out there and it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel. So it should be something really challenging.

I think it makes sense in terms of making a headphone with community input and complete transparency in design as opposed to the marketing brouhaha that goes along with a lot of this stuff. I think it might teach us as a community a lot in terms of what is actually relavent and meaningful when it comes to headphone design, and also produce a really good value headphone in the process. 

There are a lot of good headphones but if the modding community is so keen to transform the T50RP into a serious top tier contender, why not go the whole way and make it from the driver up?

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #3,687 of 21,761
Dec 16, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #3,688 of 21,761
Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wished they made an FXD80 that was a bit more neutral and also properly channel matched etc.

x2 I love it as an IEM but the frequency balance makes it more of a novelty I only use for movies and psytrance every now and then.

In other news...

=(

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #3,689 of 21,761
@jgray91

Sorry for being late to the party but better late then never
[COLOR=FF0000]Happy Birthday Dude And many More[/COLOR]

--------------------------------
So what's news with everyone else?

Thanks! Had fun, now has headache LOL. News? Wasting whatever money I have on a birthday present imported from Japan. Only I haven't decided yet whether it's on a out-of-print anime BD box set or the new triple driver JVC frankenbolts FXZ100. The former is cheaper than the latter, but I have no capacity to play any BD LOL (yes, not even a PS3). Decisions decisions. /firstworld

Happy Birthday J gray ^^ 

Thanks!!

A very happy birthday to the only [COLOR=0000FF]M[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]a[/COLOR][COLOR=ADD8E6]l[/COLOR][COLOR=000080]a[/COLOR][COLOR=B22222]y[/COLOR][COLOR=A9A9A9]s[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]i[/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]a[/COLOR][COLOR=000080]n[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Russian[/COLOR] I know!

Haha, I'll try to be as accurate as I can to be a Malaysian Russian! Thanks!!

Or something like that.

That's quite interesting. And as suggested make it modular; where it's easy to swap the driver out of different cups, with the same headband construction. Would fully support whoever does this, tbh.

well somehow [COLOR=FF0000]bcasey4raptor[/COLOR] and other banned members didn't manage to sign up again afaik.

Then again, the ones which were banned and did manage to sign up again, go unnoticed.

SO it's like asking "how many criminals are there in the world?" and then counting how many are convicted, well what about all the crime which goes unnoticed?  Scary thought.

I know in some countries it's illegal for newspapers to report certain crimes.

IDK, for someone like bcasey, he did go on in multiple times under different names. I think that's not allowed here?

Yeah kiteki; I like the UE6000 but I don't have that many ears. Otherwise I'd love to keep them because they look so awesome and sound pretty awesome too.

I like the FXD80 but I still feel a bit mixed about the new series, since they seem so large as to be impractical. I really wished they made an FXD80 that was a bit more neutral and also properly channel matched etc.

Hmm that's something I wanted to ask both of you: FXD80 or 70? I'm feeling spend-ish because of my b-day, and I'm thinking of getting either one with the FXZ100. I just heard that the FXD80 is just too far out from what I'd allow to deviate from my preferred sound signature. But then if I'm going to use it like I plan to; that is as a gymphone; then bassy is quite okay too I guess since I'd only play upbeat, energetic songs with it. Suggestions and advice? Also, I'd asked Dsnuts and/or ericp, but the former is a notorious hypetrain master, and the latter seems a bit busy (I'll assume that out of good faith).

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #3,690 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back