The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #5,296 of 5,313
yeah the battery is insane , i get like 8 hours and i am over 10,000 (ten thousand) hours of usage

SONY build a HOFer here (imho)

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #5,298 of 5,313
Anyone think the J region sounds a bit veiled in the mids on the Wm1z? Any other regions to check out? I'm not a fan of the Mr Walkman mods, but I do region roll.
To my ears, J is king when it comes to midrange! But E might do the trick?

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #5,299 of 5,313
Anyone think the J region sounds a bit veiled in the mids on the Wm1z? Any other regions to check out? I'm not a fan of the Mr Walkman mods, but I do region roll.
true that is J's characteristic, a bit veiled upper mid to high, resulting the warm feels like a bit overemphasized but it still feels nice, not recommended if you are looking for a linear sound
best region is MX3 if you want a fast sound, and CEV for a relaxed neutral sound
U is too fast and the presence region is overly boosted
E has a good upper mid to high, the lower mid until bass region is a bit boosted resulting in a warm sound, so warm that vinyl processor has so little effect whether it is turned on or not, if it doesn't matter then go for it.

IF you put mr walkman's ROM, you can put V2 to get more battery life in exchange with buggy bluetooth support (not useful on my use case), turning alternate dac on will make the sound cleaner.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #5,300 of 5,313
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #5,301 of 5,313
true that is J's characteristic, a bit veiled upper mid to high, resulting the warm feels like a bit overemphasized but it still feels nice, not recommended if you are looking for a linear sound
best region is MX3 if you want a fast sound, and CEV for a relaxed neutral sound
U is too fast and the presence region is overly boosted
E has a good upper mid to high, the lower mid until bass region is a bit boosted resulting in a warm sound, so warm that vinyl processor has so little effect whether it is turned on or not, if it doesn't matter then go for it.

IF you put mr walkman's ROM, you can put V2 to get more battery life in exchange with buggy bluetooth support (not useful on my use case), turning alternate dac on will make the sound cleaner.

Thanks, I went back to MX3 which is what I had on my Wm1a and it's definately a great sound.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #5,303 of 5,313
looking to buy a sony wm1a with nayparm mod (v3 or higher)

if you have one for sale , pm me and let's work out a deal

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #5,305 of 5,313
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #5,306 of 5,313
To my ears, J is king when it comes to midrange! But E might do the trick?
E as it adds a touch of reverb which in turn adds energy. J is too polite and is veiled from the upper mids. J same as all other region's is designed to subtly change the players signature to complement local music tastes as Sony would have access to such data. The best region is the one you like the most and generally stick with and one can add Sony's 3.01 & 3.02 into the mix which do a good deal more.

Still stands, nor too far off the mark...
1713392615440.png

If that's not enough there's always Walkman One, but too many options for me. I like it simple and to sound good, not wanting to spend too much time analysing the sound as the music is far more important to me :)

Q-6

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #5,307 of 5,313
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #5,308 of 5,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back