The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 22, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #4,861 of 5,414
Ah, darn..
I missed out on those cases too, and it's hard to find a used one. I can't find the picture, but a couple of months ago myself and another member got a leather case from AliExpress. I haven't actually used mine yet as I wanted to grab one before they also disappear, but the leather seems to be a decent quality and also the stitching. At around NZ$70 it might be a worthy option to look into. I posted pictures here about 3 months ago.

** found it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/post-17493231

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #4,863 of 5,414
The doctor will pull out of your ears an unbelievable wax buildup and then you will be able to hear significantly better.
When I go over the ear, I am fine. I am going to the ear doctor just in case. Putting things in my ear seems to stimulate the wax glands.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #4,864 of 5,414
i went to a doctor last week and removed some wax from my left ear , it's always a good thing to do visit an ear doctor if you are using your ears (via music) so much like we do

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #4,865 of 5,414
Interesting results on testing last night. Was going back and fourth between balanced and single ended, trying to decide on which termination I should get my custom cable for ie900. I think I prefer the single ended 3.5mm out on the Wm1a. I was hearing a bit more grit, clarity and musicality with single ended. The balanced is definately a more refined sound, it's more focused on large dynamics, stage and seperation. But I thought the single end was more lively sounding.

Sep 26, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,866 of 5,414
Interesting results on testing last night. Was going back and fourth between balanced and single ended, trying to decide on which termination I should get my custom cable for ie900. I think I prefer the single ended 3.5mm out on the Wm1a. I was hearing a bit more grit, clarity and musicality with single ended. The balanced is definately a more refined sound, it's more focused on large dynamics, stage and seperation. But I thought the single end was more lively sounding.
it really is down to the iem, personally I prefer the 4.4 almost always but the 3.5 can surprise at times. with my hm1000 hymalaya I prefer my Plunge Audio Unity through the 3.5mm on SE.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,867 of 5,414
Technically the 4.4mm output has better hardware in it, so it should sound louder and better. But I always think that sound quality is dictated by the last item in the chain first, being your IEMs/cans/papercup tied to a string/buds you prefer.
Also, 3.5mm is just more convenient since you won’t need adapters to plug your IEMs into something less “audiophile-focused”.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #4,868 of 5,414
My 1A is my on the go DAP and my 1Z is my home DAP.
Is there a big difference between the 1A and the 1Z, considering Mr Walkman firmwares that greatly improve the sound of the 1A ? I don't know whether to keep the 1A or sell it and buy a 1Z. Is the change justified? Regarding the new M2s, I am NOT really interested since I don't stream music and also prefer the Sony fw plus Mr Walkman fw than Android OS. Thank you very much for your opinion. Greetings.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,869 of 5,414
Is there a big difference between the 1A and the 1Z, considering Mr Walkman firmwares that greatly improve the sound of the 1A ? I don't know whether to keep the 1A or sell it and buy a 1Z. Is the change justified? Regarding the new M2s, I am NOT really interested since I don't stream music and also prefer the Sony fw plus Mr Walkman fw than Android OS. Thank you very much for your opinion. Greetings.
The 1A with J3, Plus v2 and 1Z tuning is close to the 1Z with J3, Plus v2 and 1Z tuning.

The major difference I hear in the 1Z is a larger more detailed soundstage and deeper cleaner bass. But I haven't listened to the 1A in awhile since I'm not traveling. The last time was 6+months ago when I was in the hospital.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,870 of 5,414
if you plan on upgrading, at a similar cost, if not cheaper, you can send your wm1a to get modded at npaudio, it will run circles around the 1z, plus the incredible battery boost.

I went for it and am currently waiting patiently for the maxed out 1a :)

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #4,871 of 5,414
if you plan on upgrading, at a similar cost, if not cheaper, you can send your wm1a to get modded at npaudio, it will run circles around the 1z, plus the incredible battery boost.

I went for it and am currently waiting patiently for the maxed out 1a :)
Yes today I would buy a 1A and send it to be modded rather than buy a 1Z

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #4,872 of 5,414
Yes today I would buy a 1A and send it to be modded rather than buy a 1Z
even when both are modded, the only difference is that the wm1z has a gold chassis and extra storage, and i doubt the gold chassis does anything.

capacitors are the same, even the resistors which are higher quality on the wm1z make no difference, because with the mod the resistors are bypassed, iirc.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #4,873 of 5,414
even when both are modded, the only difference is that the wm1z has a gold chassis and extra storage, and i doubt the gold chassis does anything.

capacitors are the same, even the resistors which are higher quality on the wm1z make no difference, because with the mod the resistors are bypassed, iirc.
Exactly. Mine is a 1Z but with a modded 1A board as the original 1Z board died in a battery leak when Nayparm got a bad batch of batteries

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #4,874 of 5,414
Exactly. Mine is a 1Z but with a modded 1A board as the original 1Z board died in a battery leak when Nayparm got a bad batch of batteries
getting a modded 1a in the mail must be one of the best audio moments ever haha

does the pairing with mdr z1r come close to the taz? can you please check out specific mrwalkman settings? i wonder how they pair with the modded 1a (bright, mx3, plus2, gain = 1, dac = 1)

I've a feeling no dap will be able to truly best the modded 1a until sony ends up making a walkman with the new GaN S master

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #4,875 of 5,414
getting a modded 1a in the mail must be one of the best audio moments ever haha

does the pairing with mdr z1r come close to the taz? can you please check out specific mrwalkman settings? i wonder how they pair with the modded 1a (bright, mx3, plus2, gain = 1, dac = 1)

I've a feeling no dap will be able to truly best the modded 1a until sony ends up making a walkman with the new GaN S master
It surely is a matter of personal preference which dap is best but for me the Sony sound hits the right spot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back