The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 8, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #4,831 of 5,373
I just got an 1A player: very interesting, possibly the best portable sound I've come across, the sound is detailed, airy, with good ambience, sounds like a good CD player. Having said that with Direct Sound and my (neutral) headphones (B&O H6) it sounds thin in a lot of cases (ie the instruments lacking substance) and I need to equalize a lot to address it. Is this the profile of this player, is it the pairing with the headphones? Shall I go to DrWalkman firmware (I'm currently on 3.02), thanks for your thoughts!
update to mrwalkman, play with settings, you absolutely will not regret it

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4,832 of 5,373
I just got an 1A player: very interesting, possibly the best portable sound I've come across, the sound is detailed, airy, with good ambience, sounds like a good CD player. Having said that with Direct Sound and my (neutral) headphones (B&O H6) it sounds thin in a lot of cases (ie the instruments lacking substance) and I need to equalize a lot to address it. Is this the profile of this player, is it the pairing with the headphones? Shall I go to DrWalkman firmware (I'm currently on 3.02), thanks for your thoughts!
What region and firmware is it on?
I had a similar experience and found changing regions from E to J to help a lot, then the custom firmwares offer several ways to remedy what you are describing. The latest firmware also offers more region options. I'm positive you'll find a combination to take your 1A to another level.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #4,833 of 5,373
That is to be expected, you can try other firmware, EQ and so on but in the end, you would have to consider a better earphone/headphone

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #4,835 of 5,373
That is to be expected, you can try other firmware, EQ and so on but in the end, you would have to consider a better earphone/headphone
Balanced Shure SRH1540 plays nicely with Sony NW-WM1A.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #4,836 of 5,373
Absolutely. There is a big gap between what audiophiles consider balance and what musicians consider balanced.

Sony IER-M9, Shure SE846, Westone Mach 70/80, Vision Ears VE6/VE8, FitEar TG335 and the list goes on. All sound magnificent with the WM1 Sereis, M1 and M2.

I absolutely conciously overread the balanced statement and my reply was purely targeting the headphone, unrelated to what i think of its tuning :wink:

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,837 of 5,373
Also MDR-Z1R and utopia OG... i ak waiting for some DHC adapters to use mu Z1R-terminated Lavrigrand withthe Utopia.

Also my Lavri grand broke and sent itfor repair

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4,838 of 5,373
Absolutely. There is a big gap between what audiophiles consider balance and what musicians consider balanced.

Sony IER-M9, Shure SE846, Westone Mach 70/80, Vision Ears VE6/VE8, FitEar TG335 and the list goes on. All sound magnificent with the WM1 Sereis, M1 and M2.

I absolutely conciously overread the balanced statement and my reply was purely targeting the headphone, unrelated to what i think of its tuning :wink:

Thanks I'm looking into them, I'm currently on over-ear and don't have a lot of experience with in-ear.

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #4,839 of 5,373
What region and firmware is it on?
I had a similar experience and found changing regions from E to J to help a lot, then the custom firmwares offer several ways to remedy what you are describing. The latest firmware also offers more region options. I'm positive you'll find a combination to take your 1A to another level.

Thanks I didn't know regions made a difference! I've looked and downloaded an installer to change it. I will also try DrWalkman's firmware updates, thanks!

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #4,840 of 5,373
Thanks all for your advice, this is really useful. Another question I have is whether Sony still supports the 1A/1Z: the device is in perfect condition but the headphone sleeve does not feel very tight (it still is tight enough so the headphone jack doesn't move in any way however it is easily inserted) - would Sony be able to replace the headphone sleeve if this is needed sometime in the future? thanks again!

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,841 of 5,373
Thanks all for your advice, this is really useful. Another question I have is whether Sony still supports the 1A/1Z: the device is in perfect condition but the headphone sleeve does not feel very tight (it still is tight enough so the headphone jack doesn't move in any way however it is easily inserted) - would Sony be able to replace the headphone sleeve if this is needed sometime in the future? thanks again!
Are you referring to the black case for the player or the female jacks for headphones when you say sleeve ?

The female jacks do move a little as they are not direct soldered to the board

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,842 of 5,373
Are you referring to the black case for the player or the female jacks for headphones when you say sleeve ?

The female jacks do move a little as they are not direct soldered to the board

The female jacks. Essentially when I insert the headphone jack it can very easily be inserted and I'm afraid it can become loose in the future. Are the female jacks something that potentially Sony could replace at some point if needed?

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,843 of 5,373
The female jacks. Essentially when I insert the headphone jack it can very easily be inserted and I'm afraid it can become loose in the future. Are the female jacks something that potentially Sony could replace at some point if needed?
Sony service centers or various diy’ers like Nayparm in UK can do it

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #4,844 of 5,373
I have to say that I'm really enjoying this portable 1A player and despite having a pretty good vinyl system I probably now listen to it more than anything else. How long should Sony be expected to support these players for in-terms of parts/repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back