The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3,061 of 5,999
Quote:
I thought of that and so said it is hard to do. Processors ain't that smart lol

Sorry. For some reason, my brain skipped that second part--probably due to sleep deprivation 
frown.gif

I've heard from a few owners that it is hard to discern any difference between the balanced and unbalanced outputs--can anyone else comment on this?

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3,062 of 5,999
Sorry. For some reason, my brain skipped that second part--probably due to sleep deprivation 
frown.gif

I've heard from a few owners that it is hard to discern any difference between the balanced and unbalanced outputs--can anyone else comment on this?

Theoretically balanced output is better because balanced circuit amp delivers two separate current(or whatever u call it) rather than one(unbalanced). It's just like water flowing through pipe. you should get more water out of two pipes instead of one. So go with Balanced if you can/want, there is no downside.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,063 of 5,999
Quote:
Theoretically balanced output is better because balanced circuit amp delivers two separate current(or whatever u call it) rather than one(unbalanced). It's just like water flowing through pipe. you should get more water out of two pipes instead of one.

Not quite... there's a lot more to it than just double the amount of circuitry. The issue of more power is kind of incidental and rather unnecessary for most users. As for downsides, there's the requirement to recable your headphones if they don't have a 4-pin termination.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #3,064 of 5,999
Quote:

Not quite... there's a lot more to it than just double the amount of circuitry. The issue of more power is kind of incidental and rather unnecessary for most users. As for downsides, there's the requirement to recable your headphones if they don't have a 4-pin termination.

Yeah, that and adapters to use a single ended amp.  Currently experimenting with balanced.  Most of the balanced amps I've listened to sound good.  I can't prove to myself they sound better than single ended though.  Can't prove to myself that they don't though either....

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,065 of 5,999

You forgot to quote or perhaps read my last sentence. :p
My point is that running balanced THEORETICALLY should bring better performance. More power doesn't cause redundant in audio. Moreover, I believe those guys who own Balanced amps could afford the cost of recable. It's even cheaper if they could DIY cables.
Anyway, I would be using both balanced & unbalanced output with M8 as long as I like it. Happy listening :D

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3,068 of 5,999
You forgot to quote or perhaps read my last sentence. :p
My point is that running balanced THEORETICALLY should bring better performance.

No not necessarily. The devil is in the details. A poorly designed balanced board layout can sound WORSE than its single ended version.

The problem with balanced vs unbalanced is that folks equate balanced => better to single-ended, unbalanced= => worse by just the connotation of the terms.

Frankly cross mode distortion at these power levels is remote. I suspect a lot of the reasons why balanced amps sound "better" is more to their overall design than the fact that they are balanced. YMMV.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #3,073 of 5,999
Quote:
Awww man, you're gonna beat me.  Just as well.  I've had the creeping crud for going on 4 weeks.  I haven't been able to hear out of my left ear for 5 days now...

oh man that's TERRIBLE

I'm so sorry to hear that bro!

what's the prognosis? Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment..

and my count-down to HiFi-M8 arrival commences tonight

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,074 of 5,999
vy8u9u2e.jpg

Keep holdingo guys, your units will arrive soon. Looking forward to hearing others impressions, its as if i am on a sparsely populated island of hifi-m8 owners.

At Starbucks giving my ATH-ESW11 more burn in time.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3,075 of 5,999
[Snip]Annoyingly drooling pix deleted[/Snip]
Keep holdingo guys, your units will arrive soon. Looking forward to hearing others impressions, its as if i am on a sparsely populated island of hifi-m8 owners.

At Starbucks giving my ATH-ESW11 more burn in time.
EIJ, have you compared the M8 directly against a CLAS -dB/Rx Mk3 setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back