The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 26, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #1,561 of 2,420
Glad the opamps worked out for you! I would like Cayin to eliminate all caps in the signal path and implement a high speed dc servo to take it to the next level. Along with that, get rid of the opamps in general and go to a pure class A discrete amp with matched components. Since feedback is used in mostly all of these designs, how about feeding back the error signal only instead of the complete audio signal? Just some serious audio design methods that will improve the sound further.

...and bigger battery/ balanced end-to-end with RSA cable port too......and call it  C5B  :wink:

It's a great debut amp though for the price...

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,562 of 2,420
Originally Posted by Lohb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...and bigger battery/ balanced end-to-end with RSA cable port too......and call it  C5B  :wink:

I guess you were joking (because of the wink at the end of your post) but I would be totally interested in that
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,563 of 2,420
  I guess you were joking (because of the wink at the end of your post) but I would be totally interested in that
biggrin.gif

and many others I imagine....

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,564 of 2,420
Glad the opamps worked out for you! I would like Cayin to eliminate all caps in the signal path and implement a high speed dc servo to take it to the next level. Along with that, get rid of the opamps in general and go to a pure class A discrete amp with matched components. Since feedback is used in mostly all of these designs, how about feeding back the error signal only instead of the complete audio signal? Just some serious audio design methods that will improve the sound further.

Sounds very attractive; tho' I do wonder how these changes would affect the retail price?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,565 of 2,420
Weird, I don't have to put on high gain now with planars (modded Fostex T20-RP) which is giving me more dial fine-tuning with the new A.D. opamp in my signature below.
As far as I remember the old opamp stepped right down in volume without gain.

I'm not sure, but on Gustard H10 thread some were saying last week gain can alter emphasis in SQ...not sure if that is right or not....maybe the amp builder types would know that can happen....but planars flat impedence for a start...

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,566 of 2,420
  TO ALL IPHONE 6/6 PLUS USERS:

a quick question: 
how do you connect your cayin c5 to it? (is it via headphone jack, using 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio jack or via usb)
im planing to get one, but the problem is, iphone 6 is my source but i dont know how to connect it.

I revived this because as a newbie, I had the same question had to do a lot of reading, including this entire thread. Here's what I did:

I have an iPhone 6 and very recently (past couple of weeks) decided to get out of the IEM/Earbud (Etymotic, Senneheiser, Apple) scene and get some over-ear headphones. I bought a pair of B&O H6's to use with my iPhone, mostly. From what I read, and confirmed when they arrived, the phone could drive them to almost loud-enough levels, but they sounded "better" through my home system. There's much to be said for headroom. After much reading and research, I decided to double-amp, and bought the Cayin C5. I'm very happy with the combo. I'm an ex-recording engineer (mostly pre-digital multitrack days) with pretty discerning ears. I have no problem with noise or hiss, or overloading the input to the C5. I chose the C5 mostly for its high-output, even though the H6 is 32 ohm, and the great reviews here and elsewhere. You can't have too much power.

I was not sure how this "experiment" would play out, but if anyone else is considering double-amping with an iPhone 6 and the Cayin C5, I say go for it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,568 of 2,420
Fiio X1 (line out) + Cayin C5 + bass mod Sennheiser HD439 = Pure audio bliss!!!

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,569 of 2,420
When the mastering is excellent this new opamp set is really a great step-up specifically in the areas of transparency and 3D presentation.
I'm finding HURON electronica music superb with the C5 modded and HRT microStreamer....to get this SQ on such a low-priced mobile audio chain is nuts !

It has more heart + soul than the GO1000 anyway IMO.

Half mind-blown for the total price.....

EDIT : though I have more dial in on low gain, now it appears the battery goes down faster on volume 8 low gain than high gain volume 4..
Not sure if there is any sound science to that...but my 3/2/1 lights went down a lot quicker, or maybe it was the marathon listening session.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,570 of 2,420
Some impressions for whatever it's worth!

I've been using my Cayin C5 for over a month with a Fiio X1. I was indecisive, so bought the C5 together with Fiio E12A. I prefer the C5 sound over the E12A mainly for the smoother transition between bass, mids and highs, the imaging is better too. It sounds more musical to me and more versatile for different recordings and headphones. I feel E12A has tighter bass and wider soundstage due to the more energy in the highs. I find E12A better suited for recordings with more bass than treble, and also helps some headphones with narrow soundstage like HD25-1 II to open up a little, also tightens the bass and adds energy to the highs to polite headphones like my Onkyo ES-FC300. I don't like E12A for headphones which tend to have unnatural or harsh highs, and for very dynamically compressed congested recordings which sound even edgier. For a reference, I also have JDS cMoyBB amp which I like a lot. It's warmer than C5 and E12A, and doesn't offer the same level of details and separation. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,571 of 2,420
  Some impressions for whatever it's worth!

I've been using my Cayin C5 for over a month with a Fiio X1. I was indecisive, so bought the C5 together with Fiio E12A. I prefer the C5 sound over the E12A mainly for the smoother transition between bass, mids and highs, the imaging is better too. It sounds more musical to me and more versatile for different recordings and headphones. I feel E12A has tighter bass and wider soundstage due to the more energy in the highs. I find E12A better suited for recordings with more bass than treble, and also helps some headphones with narrow soundstage like HD25-1 II to open up a little, also tightens the bass and adds energy to the highs to polite headphones like my Onkyo ES-FC300. I don't like E12A for headphones which tend to have unnatural or harsh highs, and for very dynamically compressed congested recordings which sound even edgier. For a reference, I also have JDS cMoyBB amp which I like a lot. It's warmer than C5 and E12A, and doesn't offer the same level of details and separation. 

So, Bob, how's the synergy between the X1 and the C5? I got an X1 and I'm seriously thinking to pair it with a C5 very soon.
What are the biggest differences between the X1's headphone output (which I like a lot) and the combo X1>C5? 

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,572 of 2,420
  So, Bob, how's the synergy between the X1 and the C5? I got an X1 and I'm seriously thinking to pair it with a C5 very soon.
What are the biggest differences between the X1's headphone output (which I like a lot) and the combo X1>C5? 

For me, X1 (LO)+C5 combo works perfectly, nothing to complain about it. I can label the pair "naturally sounding" which to me means on the warm side of neutral. Everything is enough for me - separation, clarity, smoothness in transitions, ratio soundstage width vs depth. I'm treble sensitive, so I don't like much forward highs and female vocals, no matter how clean they are. I like hi-hats, cymbals and snares to be clean and on the back. Also, the depth and layering are more important to me than the air and soundstage width.

Compared to X1 HO, the combo improves everything in the sound signature. X1 HO is more forgiving, with less details, less energy in the attacks, flatter imaging, worse highs separation, but overall very musical, pleasant, and not fatiguing. It doesn't mean I don't like the X1 HO sound but the C5 improves it on all fronts.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,573 of 2,420

For me, X1 (LO)+C5 combo works perfectly, nothing to complain about it. I can label the pair "naturally sounding" which to me means on the warm side of neutral. Everything is enough for me - separation, clarity, smoothness in transitions, ratio soundstage width vs depth. I'm treble sensitive, so I don't like much forward highs and female vocals, no matter how clean they are. I like hi-hats, cymbals and snares to be clean and on the back. Also, the depth and layering are more important to me than the air and soundstage width.

Compared to X1 HO, the combo improves everything in the sound signature. X1 HO is more forgiving, with less details, less energy in the attacks, flatter imaging, worse highs separation, but overall very musical, pleasant, and not fatiguing. It doesn't mean I don't like the X1 HO sound but the C5 improves it on all fronts.

Wow, that was really helpful. Thanks so much! 

''X1 HO is (..)but overall very musical, pleasant, and not fatiguing''. That's exactly how I find the X1's HO. If the combo X1 + C5 retains musicality and that neutral to slightly warm signature with all other parameters improved, then that's what I wanted to hear.

I'm also quite treble sensitive and I've realized it only recently.

Thanks again Bob.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,574 of 2,420
I need to buy another DAP and consider getting another Fiio X1 or a new X3 2nd gen. Most of the time, I use its LO connection, so wondering if anybody's had a chance to compare the two, or at least to comment on the sound matching X3 SG with C5?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,575 of 2,420
I need to buy another DAP and consider getting another Fiio X1 or a new X3 2nd gen. Most of the time, I use its LO connection, so wondering if anybody's had a chance to compare the two, or at least to comment on the sound matching X3 SG with C5?

That may be a question to better ask in those DAP's respective threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back