The Cayin C5 portable power house.
May 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #1,592 of 2,420
  modified

(try going to google first with this type of question...)

Thank you very much. Even if english is not my first language, I understand the word (even if a little familiar) and I know how to use Google.

Obviously, the question was how it has been modified. 

May 8, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,594 of 2,420
  OK, I have been back page 94 and had a look into that mod.
Tempting but I don't feel like unsoldering such a device.

Yep, I left it to someone who does that stuff all the time....not a case of swapping opamps in and out of an Altoid amp tin....very small opamps.

May 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,595 of 2,420
Received my Cayin C5 from CTC Audio and am initially very pleased. I also recently purchased a FiiO X1 and am listening, for now, with a pair of first-gen Sennheiser PX-100, with the Senn HD414 reverse quarter-modded pads. A little harsh at times what with the drivers so exposed, depending on what you're listening to but with some tweaking on the C5 (bass boost and occasionally the gain on hi) I'm surprised at how good these can sound. Obviously, I've got to move on to a decent headphone with this set up. Possibly going to purchase the SoundMAGIC HP200 and will probably upgrade the cable to the FiiO L16.

Had a 5V/2A USB charger available from my Tegra Note 7 tablet and it did a first charge on the C5 well within specs--after 30-40 minutes the first 2 lights were solid and by 3hrs:40min the 3rd light was solid and I had a full charge. I connected the C5 to my X1 with the provided cable and I was off. I didn't notice any spectacular improvement with the Cayin but there was clearly more detail provided, even on the modded PX-100's. The increased gain in itself is a huge help using the line out on the FiiO vs. headphone out. Granted, these headphones are not ideal and the C5 is far from being fully broken in. The one particular thing I noticed was on Gerald Clayton's 320Mbps MP3 download "When an Angel Sheds a Feather" from Life Forum -- there's some kind of occasional very light drum brushing or some other mid-frequency light brushing or breathing sound that you have to really listen for using just the X1 by itself but with the Senns going thru the C5 it's audible without effort. 

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the C5. I had read all 107 pages of this thread and it helped quite a bit in my initial use of the amp, especially the advice on having a 2A charger to get things going.

One of my main concerns was the low volume imbalance issue that had been discussed. The low volume imbalance (higher level on the right channel) on my unit is only noticeable when the gain is set to hi and this is ONLY at the lowest level, I think around slightly under the 2 and, again, not a normal listening level. I mean, if I wanted to listen at that volume level, you'd just go to normal gain and of course the imbalance would be gone because you would be at volume level 3 or 4. Bottom line, on the normal gain setting there is no hear-able channel imbalance and this is simply not an issue. The Senns are rated at 114db sensitivity and with the drivers exposed I think I would have heard anything significant. Again, in my case, using the modded PX-100's I can only discern a slight right-favoring imbalance when the gain setting is on high and it is still, even with the gain on hi, at a level that you would not normally listen at. Other than that, and that's really not an issue in my case as far as I'm concerned, the C5 has behaved quite predictably, which is a good thing, and I'm looking forward to some really great musical experiences with a decent set of cans in the future.

May 18, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,596 of 2,420
May 19, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #1,597 of 2,420
Bit of a harsh welcome to the forum!

I wholeheartedly agree, very harsh. In browsing these forums for nearly 2 years now, I believe that the majority of members are courteous to others whether they're knowledgeable or new to this, and then you get some who feel that there ia a need to belittle others quite unnecessarily. It's a shame as we all share a passion here and manners cost nothing.

May 19, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,599 of 2,420

I wholeheartedly agree, very harsh. In browsing these forums for nearly 2 years now, I believe that the majority of members are courteous to others whether they're knowledgeable or new to this, and then you get some who feel that there ia a need to belittle others quite unnecessarily. It's a shame as we all share a passion here and manners cost nothing.

No need to be a di*k about it mate 

I misunderstood the question and answered in
a way which seemed discourteous.
And then I just left it alone.

BUT amigomatt digs it up a week an a half later to
remark on it, and then two others "pile on".

How's about we just leave it back there where
it belongs?

May 19, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,600 of 2,420

No need to be a di*k about it mate 

I misunderstood the question and answered in
a way which seemed discourteous.
And then I just left it alone.

BUT amigomatt digs it up a week an a half later to
remark on it, and then two others "pile on".

How's about we just leave it back there where
it belongs?

I've only mentioned it now because I've only just caught up with the thread.  Maybe you should accept criticism from three separate people who think you 'were' discourteous, not 'seemed' discourteous rather than trying to drag it out even more with not even an apology or hint of understanding?

May 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,601 of 2,420
Regarding the post above ^^^  We don't want hard feelings in here, but I think @zazex that if you feel there was a misunderstanding of something you said, then it's your job to put that right or accept the criticism of those people that have misunderstood you.  Is that not common sense?  I can't see your response above getting any applause.

May 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,605 of 2,420
I'm expecting my AKG K612 to arrive. I know it's not an easy 150 Ohm headphone to drive. Does anybody know if my C5 can have enough juice to handle it properly?

Should be fine. I had the K612 and paired it with the fiio e12 quite often :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back