The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,552 of 2,420

Don't get wrong, the C5 sounds good with the Q701's but the Vali has a lot more power and seems to handle the Q701 with more finesse and I am sure that this is because of the extra power available but, once again, this is just IMO. Your experience may be different.

Yes, generally, it seems to me, when it comes to amplification of 
gear that's hard to drive, there's no substitute for power from the mains.

Especially when listening at higher levels, or with more dynamic material.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,553 of 2,420
I don't know if I should get these or the E12a...
For now I'll use with my Superlux HD 681 Evo and the Takstar Pro 80, although I plan to upgrade to the HD600 and the DT990...

Don't know what to do, anyone here with these headphones? 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,554 of 2,420
  I don't know if I should get these or the E12a...
For now I'll use with my Superlux HD 681 Evo and the Takstar Pro 80, although I plan to upgrade to the HD600 and the DT990...
Don't know what to do, anyone here with these headphones? 
confused_face_2.gif

Why are you considering the E12a? Isn't it more geared towards iems?

Anyway, I don't think that the E12a would properly power the HD600's or DT990's, but I don't have either of them, so I can't say for sure. But if you are wanting to push those phones as well, I'd go with the E12 or the C5 (and out of those two, I'd probably go with the C5 because it really does rock). 

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,555 of 2,420
Is it normal to start falling in love with the C5? I might have a problem lol.

Extremely normal, but I'm in a bit if a dilemma. My main sweetheart (NFB-15) is getting the sense I've been cheating on her with a new fling (C5). I just need to keep my cool...

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,556 of 2,420
Extremely normal, but I'm in a bit if a dilemma. My main sweetheart (NFB-15) is getting the sense I've been cheating on her with a new fling (C5). I just need to keep my cool...

Do you find the C5 significantly less warm than NFB-15 ? Anything you find lacking on battery power vs mains amps ?

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,557 of 2,420

Yeah, my E12 is giving me some unhappy sideways looks as well lol

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,560 of 2,420
Just got my C5 back today with the new ADA4637-1BRZ OPAMPs inserted.....brief 30 minute listen on tracks I have brain burn in with..... more depth/width...3D, but it does not dilute impact.. better transparancy...it has nudged down that little bit of warm veneer the stock opamps have without going into sterile monitoring territory ( I got rid of my GO1000 due to that sterile/analytic presentation) . Bass texture improved(feel less need to switch on bass boost), no adverse affect to PRAT I can detect.

It has also stopped me opening my Fostex T20's to adjust the damping as when I paired the HRT microStreamer with the old opamps in C5 I found there was a bass/mid-bass bloominess that was there that my old entry-level Sabre u2 did not have...so maybe it was my cans custom tuning or maybe the slight warmth of DAC/Amp may create  a lower-end muddiness in stock config especially with warmer cans....perhaps.

I got the opamps shipped international with my new LCD-2 cables built by @cCasper TFG
which was luck as the money saved on extortionate shipping otherwise paid for the opamps install by my local electric repairs shop ($10).

So initial impressions are that it is a worthy upgrade and thanks to @AudioMan2013
for drilling down to that chip !

SWEET ! Some entry-level zen audio chain synergy thanks to community sharing...

Glad the opamps worked out for you! I would like Cayin to eliminate all caps in the signal path and implement a high speed dc servo to take it to the next level. Along with that, get rid of the opamps in general and go to a pure class A discrete amp with matched components. Since feedback is used in mostly all of these designs, how about feeding back the error signal only instead of the complete audio signal? Just some serious audio design methods that will improve the sound further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back