The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 1, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #6,496 of 9,131
i think it was a fix for certain treble burst/distortion with DSD on 1.18 but consequently removed the airiness.

I see... I will try to see if I can get a hold of 1.17. Curious to give it a try.

Thx folks. Yes it seems on pg 355 here that someone mentioned 1.16 is like a bass-light version of the more preferred 1.15. However (aside from bugs), has the signature of 1.17 & 1.18 changed back to similar to 1.15 or does the signature trend continue from 1.16 to 1.17 & 1.18?

At the moment I'm trying to convince myself to like 1.18, which I'm pretty sure is better than 1.16 but I got to admit I'm missing 1.15 from time to time. Unless our ears are deceiving us, SQ seems to change in every version after 1.11.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #6,498 of 9,131
How can we obtain the firmwares from the past. Also can we go back in firmware

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6,499 of 9,131
  Hi chaps. I've just got my AK240 RMA back. It's on fw 1.16. I read a few weeks (months?) back that one of the fw versions didn't seem to sound too popular with sound. Which version was that? Is that all resolved in fw 1.18 (the current latest)? i.e. recommendations to upgrade to 1.18 or hang on to 1.16?

Now you could compare it with the Lotoo for us Anakchan?<3

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #6,500 of 9,131
  Now you could compare it with the Lotoo for us Anakchan?<3

I wanna do that comparison too but unfortunately my 3 week loaner on the Lotoo Paw Gold has expired and I've since returned the Paw Gold. I think it'll be difficult to get another loaner from the distributor in Japan at least. May have to see if I can reach out straight to the makers instead.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #6,501 of 9,131
  Hi chaps. I've just got my AK240 RMA back. It's on fw 1.16. I read a few weeks (months?) back that one of the fw versions didn't seem to sound too popular with sound. Which version was that? Is that all resolved in fw 1.18 (the current latest)? i.e. recommendations to upgrade to 1.18 or hang on to 1.16?

I stay with 1.15 and not bother to update any more as I have very stable performance.  My AK only hung up on me once or twice since May last year.  No volume glitches as well.  

However, once you've already on 1.16 and I suggest only to update it should you be very dis-satisfied with the your current version.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #6,502 of 9,131
Can you share the 1.17 If you can get hold of it? Thanks!

If I do get a hold of 1.17, I will voice up here. :)

How can we obtain the firmwares from the past. Also can we go back in firmware

Yes we can, in fact a good number of us here did from 1.16 -> 1.15. As for how... ask iRiver for the firmware. Do not attempt to extract the firmware yourself because that's what I did and I ended up bricking the player, though I'm still puzzled why it turned out that way as theoretically it should have worked.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #6,503 of 9,131
  I stay with 1.15 and not bother to update any more as I have very stable performance.  My AK only hung up on me once or twice since May last year.  No volume glitches as well.  

However, once you've already on 1.16 and I suggest only to update it should you be very dis-satisfied with the your current version.

One thing is though that if you're into using the 240's streaming services like Quboz, since AstellnKern is supposed to get Tidal, once they do add tidal to the 240, you would have to download the new firmware to use it (or at least I'm guessing).

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #6,504 of 9,131
One thing is though that if you're into using the 240's streaming services like Quboz, since AstellnKern is supposed to get Tidal, once they do add tidal to the 240, you would have to download the new firmware to use it (or at least I'm guessing).

Would love to have these services! (Too bad I'm now in Hong Kong)...

Re 1.18 I don't feel a lot difference to the 1.15 what I had for Avery long time. I briefly had the 1.16 and can't really remember if it was bass light as I was using the tg334 and 1965 v8 a lot during the time it was on 1.16.... But I don't find myself "missing" much in 1.18 now. I had probably equal portions of Redbook, HD, and dsf on it.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #6,505 of 9,131
Would love to have these services! (Too bad I'm now in Hong Kong)...

Re 1.18 I don't feel a lot difference to the 1.15 what I had for Avery long time. I briefly had the 1.16 and can't really remember if it was bass light as I was using the tg334 and 1965 v8 a lot during the time it was on 1.16.... But I don't find myself "missing" much in 1.18 now. I had probably equal portions of Redbook, HD, and dsf on it.

I'm not sure for Hong Kong but, I talked to some A&K folks and they said if you change the language settings, you can use the streaming services without being restricted by where you're living.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #6,506 of 9,131

Thanks for reminding.

As my usage of 240 is different and I won't making use of Quboz and thus not bother. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,507 of 9,131
You should let him look at it. Mine is it so bad... Just jumps 3 to 5 steps at most.

Very stupid question because it happened to me: are you sure you are not touching the screen while turning the wheel? It can cause a jump as you can adjust the volume very quickly from the screen...

Yes I've had this issue with both of mine ....but I've said enough about all the issues don't want to make it sound like I was bashing I was just stating facts after owning 2 AK 240s and it always being issues the volume was a big deal and I no longer own a 240 as I've sold my last one ......I'm looking into possibly getting a ZX2 once they come out I actually like the design better "from what I've seen" :smirk: but don't know about the sound....heard it's pretty good....had been waiting on the Hugo black to arrive but it seems to be taking forever from the dealer...so may put it off for a couple of months...as the LV boutique has a little back pack I've been looking at for a long time and it may be time to scratch that itch :smiling_imp: .....

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,508 of 9,131
Yes we can, in fact a good number of us here did from 1.16 -> 1.15. As for how... ask iRiver for the firmware. Do not attempt to extract the firmware yourself because that's what I did and I ended up bricking the player, though I'm still puzzled why it turned out that way as theoretically it should have worked.

After bricking my AK240 once again, looks like I can conclude that 1.16 and below are downgradable, while 1.17 and 1.18 (safe to say "and beyond"?) are not downgradable, so do not update your firmware if you are running 1.15 or 1.16 unless you are absolutely sure that you don't mind passing up those versions to try out new ones.

This is not official as I haven't received a reply from iRiver yet, will be surprised if they actually send me 1.17 for downgrading.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #6,510 of 9,131
Interesting that they don't post the FW on their site like with the older players.
Maybe for the reason my-2000 experience. If more owners tried what he did but worse, they Hong know how to recover, that's extra support they have to provide. By limiting upgrade method to only OTA, you have better manageability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back