The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 22, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #5,641 of 9,131
  it depends on the recording and also the headphones I'm using.

Got it.For example:I don't jump level 60 over with my IE800.Sometimes over 60.

But,I don't know maybe RWAK has more power.I didn't try stock 240.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #5,644 of 9,131
I dont typically go over 45 with my ie800 using the ak240. Generally below 40 on avg. this is stock ak240 btw

Ohh.Impressive.I can't listen at the level which you said.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,646 of 9,131
Depending on the iem, I am between 30 and 40 on my RWAK240. 40 is very loud to me.

Which iem do you use with it ? And which output ?

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,647 of 9,131

I checked out the Astell & Kern AK240 at the recent Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver and the read the review in the audiophile magazine. I think I was sold when heard them ...
I purchased the thru Amazon and have been testing them for about a week.
The positives:
Easy to use intuitive interface

Lots of storage 256 GB + 128 GB mini SD card

Easy to read display

Well made easy to handle

WiFi & Bluetooth capable(check below)

Not so great:
The WiFi would not work for the first few days. I sent an E-mail to the president of the company in California one of the only two options for support .... NO RESPONSE!
Out of the blue the wifi started working and gave me access to all my music on my NAS (thru their computer software) wifi reception is sketchy with many drop out even when close to the wireless router.

When connected to Bluetooth headphones the sound drops out very consistently. I discovered in the manual that the Bluetooth range is only 8 inches....yeah it actually says that... The distance from my shirt pocket to the headphones is already out of range so this makes the Bluetooth feature basically useless.

When I listened to the AK240 at the show they were wired to headphones (I can't recall which ones) costing over $2,000 and the recording was a 24 bit Hi Res recording of the Beatles "Abby Road" ....All my music is digitized in 16 bit CD Quality (FLAC).

The unit has a 10 channel equalizer but NO preset settings. Some may prefer the precise manual adjustments I find it somewhat tedious and would prefer both options.
Conclusions:
The sound quality with my $200 headphones wired and wireless was average or below (I did play with the EQ but found it time consuming and still did not get $2500 results).
I purchased this AK240 mostly for the two wireless features, ease of use and of course sound quality. The AK240 fails in its wireless capability miserably. With a $2500 price tag it shouldn't fail in any respects.

If all your recordings are 24 bit Hi Res, you have wired headphones in the $2K plus range and have $2500 expendable income this might just be the player for you.
For me I will be returning this unit....
Maybe someone can recommend a good sounding unit with WiFi & Bluetooth capability...

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #5,649 of 9,131
  Im using the AKR03 (Roxanne) on balanced and for me I usually keep the volume around 36-40, although for some songs I can take it up to 45-50.

Maybe Roxanne doesn't need much power and balanced output has more power.I use unbalanced with IE800.

Does anybosy know how can I use my IE800 with balanced output ? 

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5,652 of 9,131
  Wow!  Some loud volumes going on here!  I usually run between 20-30 with my IE800's.  Listening now to "Morph the Cat" by Donald Fagen at 30 - more than enough volume, really too much.  I find with my SE846 I'm even lower volume - usually in the upper teens.

Wow.  You guys have really delicate ears.  I typically listen between 50 and 55 with my stock ie800 and stock AK240.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,653 of 9,131

Conclusions:
The sound quality with my $200 headphones wired and wireless was average or below (I did play with the EQ but found it time consuming and still did not get $2500 results).
I purchased this AK240 mostly for the two wireless features, ease of use and of course sound quality. The AK240 fails in its wireless capability miserably. With a $2500 price tag it shouldn't fail in any respects.

Can't argue with your comments about the wifi. However i think you are doing the unit a disservice by expecting great sound quality out of $200 ear phones. There is no doubt your sets are the culprit regarding the SQ and not the AK. Let it feed something with the required resolution and tonal characteristics and it produces really good SQ. You don't need to spend 2k either.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #5,654 of 9,131

Wow.  You guys have really delicate ears.  I typically listen between 50 and 55 with my stock ie800 and stock AK240.

My listening volume is mostly around 28-34 with my DITAs. Some recordings are a lot lower and some need to be a bit higher.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #5,655 of 9,131

Can't argue with your comments about the wifi. However i think you are doing the unit a disservice by expecting great sound quality out of $200 ear phones. There is no doubt your sets are the culprit regarding the SQ and not the AK. Let it feed something with the required resolution and tonal characteristics and it produces really good SQ. You don't need to spend 2k either.

totally agreed.

Bluetooth's data is not enough for high quality sound in the first place.  

You also don't expect Ferrari can deliver with a set of Corolla tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back