The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,717 of 9,131
Compatibility is a wonderful and complex thing.
After one month now with my AK240 and lots of listening I have found what works best for me.
Shure 846 with Double Helix cables as opposed to Sennheiser IE 800,HD800 ,Final Audio Design FI BA SS and even my Grado PS1000.

And the surprising one, for me, the Tube Amp BL-2. As opposed to no amp, JDS C5,Just Audio, Epiphany O2,iBasso and others.

You know when you listen to an album and you think wow I don't see how this can sound any better. You close your eyes and get lost in the music even though you have heard the album many times before.

this is my best setup for ak240 so far, pair with a hybrid tube amp and a mod alessandro ms-1i,  play them with 24 bit and dsd files. the echoes of live recording vocal and instruments placement are so amazing. I listen to "you shook me" from audiogon present the wake up your ears sample (chesky) it just blew me away..

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2,718 of 9,131
After one month now with my AK240 and lots of listening I have found what works best for me.
Shure 846 with Double Helix cables as opposed to Sennheiser IE 800,HD800 ,Final Audio Design FI BA SS and even my Grado PS1000.

And the surprising one, for me, the Tube Amp BL-2. As opposed to no amp, JDS C5,Just Audio, Epiphany O2,iBasso and others.

You know when you listen to an album and you think wow I don't see how this can sound any better. You close your eyes and get lost in the music even though you have heard the album many times before.

Audio nirvana is a rare find.  Congratulations!!

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,720 of 9,131
Great, my AK-240 is locking up, freezing, not wanting to play DSD. And when I try to play certain DSD files it plays at 4x speed, with no sound. Anybody got any advice?

I supposedly you are playing multichannel DSD files which are like 500MB+ per file. Sadly even portable players with Native DSD playback are not compatible for such files.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,721 of 9,131
I supposedly you are playing multichannel DSD files which are like 500MB+ per file. Sadly even portable players with Native DSD playback are not compatible for such files.

5 channel DFF, file is the one that wouldn't play. Granted, I do have a lot to learn about DSD. Korg wouldn't play it either. Great little program, just used it for the first time the other day.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,722 of 9,131
I have a question. Does the AK240 charge via the USB while using it as DAC duty only?

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,724 of 9,131
Speaking of charging while playing - I get static in playback while charging the AK240 via my usual method using my phone charger.  I'm sure it's due to the charger but I'm curious if anyone else experiences this as well.  It would be nice to charge while playing it at my work desk.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,725 of 9,131

Double helix cable with TRRS plug I suppose? You mentioned IE800 there so I wonder if it's a balanced-to-unbalanced comparison or unbalanced-to-unbalanced comparison, unless you have a balanced IE800.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,726 of 9,131
Hugo does not pure line out , Hugo has Only headphone out

Just FYI, effectively, there is no effective difference between a "line out" and a headphone out when using either with another amp, if the voltage output is the same. 
smile.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #2,728 of 9,131
5 channel DFF, file is the one that wouldn't play. Granted, I do have a lot to learn about DSD. Korg wouldn't play it either. Great little program, just used it for the first time the other day.

I tried playing 5channel dsf file the other day and it shows an error message saying file not supported......

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,730 of 9,131
Just FYI, effectively, there is no effective difference between a "line out" and a headphone out when using either with another amp, if the voltage output is the same. :smile:  

Thank you Amos
You are right and I think AK headphone out and line out have the same voltage output , my friend told me
That's why if we use AK with other amps , the result is no distortion.
If headphone out and pair with other amp for sure got Distortion, because of double amping .
IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back