The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,701 of 9,131
  Hi bmichels,

It looks like few people here favor  AK240 + HUGO  
wink.gif

I probably won't disagree

(1) isn't a waste to bypass the "very good DAC/AMP" of the AK240,

A big yes with caveat. First of all AK240 has a very good set of built-in DAC and Amp. Strictly speaking, no one needs to add an external amp or DAC. Blame me for auditioning the Hugo when I was perfectly happy with the standalone AK240, In combination, each musical instrument becomes more distinct and a resultant better soundstage (yes, even with crossfeed off). With crossfeed on, it surprisingly didn't degrade the overall balance, at least to my ears.

(2) with this configuration we loose the option to have Balanced headphone out

Very true, and there is a possibility that a balanced wired headset alone would have given the same improvements. Unfortunately I have yet to find out. (I have pre-ordered balanced cables for my 2 coming ciems from the always reliable Jaben but they have yet to deliver).

(3) with this configuration we loose the option to play native DSD (which I understood is "stellar" with the AK240) !

DSD tracks sound fantastic in AK240 and losing the ability to hear DSD tracks through Hugo is painful!

So, are all those trade off (NO DSD, NO Balanced out)+ Added cost + added bulk...  worth'it

The biggest problem with Hugo is the size (not the weight) but this is somewhat compensated by the easy grip in one hand together with AK240, I personally think it's worth it because I can enjoy the sound quality I like better right now. I can't answer this question for any other person. All I can suggest is let the buyer beware! Know all the limitations, go for an audition and see if you think if it's worth it (or better, don't audition and save all the troubles :))

Is  AK240+HUGO  really  much better than  AK240 alone ?

Better, to me personally, yes! Much better? hard to say, perhaps I would say sufficiently better? At this thread, aren't we all just looking for that incremental improvements?

Doesn't  HUGO + TOL Portable Balanced amp make more sense ?

I don't know, I haven't audition and don't try to put that idea in my mind :)

thanks for taking the time to answer so clearly to me.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,704 of 9,131
Hi bmichels,

It looks like few people here favor  AK240 + HUGO  :wink: .
I probably won't disagree

(1) isn't a waste to bypass the "very good DAC/AMP" of the AK240,

A big yes with caveat. First of all AK240 has a very good set of built-in DAC and Amp. Strictly speaking, no one needs to add an external amp or DAC. Blame me for auditioning the Hugo when I was perfectly happy with the standalone AK240, In combination, each musical instrument becomes more distinct and a resultant better soundstage (yes, even with crossfeed off). With crossfeed on, it surprisingly didn't degrade the overall balance, at least to my ears.

(2) with this configuration we loose the option to have Balanced headphone out

Very true, and there is a possibility that a balanced wired headset alone would have given the same improvements. Unfortunately I have yet to find out. (I have pre-ordered balanced cables for my 2 coming ciems from the always reliable Jaben but they have yet to deliver).

(3) with this configuration we loose the option to play native DSD (which I understood is "stellar" with the AK240) !

DSD tracks sound fantastic in AK240 and losing the ability to hear DSD tracks through Hugo is painful!

So, are all those trade off (NO DSD, NO Balanced out)+ Added cost + added bulk...  worth'it

The biggest problem with Hugo is the size (not the weight) but this is somewhat compensated by the easy grip in one hand together with AK240, I personally think it's worth it because I can enjoy the sound quality I like better right now. I can't answer this question for any other person. All I can suggest is let the buyer beware! Know all the limitations, go for an audition and see if you think if it's worth it (or better, don't audition and save all the troubles :))

[COLOR=B22222] Is  AK240+HUGO  really  much better than  AK240 alone ?[/COLOR]

Better, to me personally, yes! Much better? hard to say, perhaps I would say sufficiently better? At this thread, aren't we all just looking for that incremental improvements?

I don't know, I haven't audition and don't try to put that idea in my mind :)

I am agree With Your impression :beerchug:

Hugo does not pure line out , Hugo has Only headphone out
If Hugo has balance Line out , that would Be perfect pair With others balance amp like
For single ended headphone out , pair With external amp give not so much benefite

IMO

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,706 of 9,131

I was wondering - how can it be an analogue pot if it goes round and round and round? Is there some technology I am not aware of?

This would be my question as well. Additionally, the feel of the volume control is not at all like a quality analog potentiometer. I'm not disputing what ALO has reported, however, I'm skeptical.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,709 of 9,131
Great, my AK-240 is locking up, freezing, not wanting to play DSD. And when I try to play certain DSD files it plays at 4x speed, with no sound. Anybody got any advice?

I know that this doesn't help with resolving your issue, but I've been playing 3 DSD albums that I've recently downloaded from Acoustic Sounds: Herbie Hancock Headhunters, Luther Vandross Never Too Much and Michael Jackson Thriller.  All all are playing without issue.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,710 of 9,131

Red, Blue & Black colored leather case will be available soon!
More colors to choose from! 
biggrin.gif
 PIC FROM: A&K FB PAGE

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,715 of 9,131
Compatibility is a wonderful and complex thing.
After one month now with my AK240 and lots of listening I have found what works best for me.
Shure 846 with Double Helix cables as opposed to Sennheiser IE 800,HD800 ,Final Audio Design FI BA SS and even my Grado PS1000.

And the surprising one, for me, the Tube Amp BL-2. As opposed to no amp, JDS C5,Just Audio, Epiphany O2,iBasso and others.

You know when you listen to an album and you think wow I don't see how this can sound any better. You close your eyes and get lost in the music even though you have heard the album many times before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back