The Astell & Kern AK120
May 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #481 of 7,071
Cong

I wasn't expecting this at all. But ak120 can drive LCD 3 better than dx100 (high gain)! I know this is like a joke. At least it can still maintain its sound signature :wink:

Congrats! Yes the build quality and finishing is really impressive... can't wait to hear your impressions and comparison with dx100.

May 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #483 of 7,071
Quote:
Time for someone to make an impression thread for Ak120.

This is fine isn't it? we just need to update the page:wink: like dx100 thread.

May 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #485 of 7,071
Quote:
This is fine isn't it? we just need to update the page:wink: like dx100 thread.

Well the first 20 pages is really people talking about its price and nothing else, I am hoping that the impression thread is about the sound and performance with price as a friendly reminder mentioned once or twice, not to be the center of the debate. 

May 21, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #486 of 7,071
I am glad to hear this.

I need to point out one thing that the iriver customer service have been very polite and helpful with my endless harsh and at times marginally rude feedbacks. I know one thing that no matter what I am certain that if I ever develop any issues with their products I know I will be getting one of the best after market support there might be. 

I guess this is a relief for us considering the last thing one needs for purchases of products of this price point.

Never tried the CS as HF is my go-to place for any info and it never failed me lol...

I had the album art over 500x500pix not showing up issue with my Ak100 and a quick Google bring me to the AK100 HF thread and helped me worked around it in no time.

Now being an early adopter for the AK120 I hope I can provide something useful back to the community.

May 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #487 of 7,071
tupac0306

Congratulations....looking mighty sweet with the LCD3
size]

May 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #488 of 7,071
Quote:
tupac0306

Congratulations....looking mighty sweet with the LCD3
size]

Be ready for some really positive impressions 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #489 of 7,071

Ok I think it's probably a bit early to make a lot of serious impressions. But here it goes, after 7 hours of listening. This is basically a translation of what I just posted on erji.net. Excuse my crappy english. I realize that I tend to get too excited about the new toy I got, so I will try my best to clam myself and be as objective as possible!
tongue_smile.gif
 I will give my impressions based on pairing it with SE5 which is to date the more natural, neutral CIEM I have heard. And I also use it for most of the time with dx100 and 901. SE5 has 130 impedance, so I guess it should offer a realistic presentation. The reference point will be Anedio D2 DAC, since I don't have DX100 and 901 anymore (although I want to get a dx100 back).

The design of AK120 is truly impressive! Looks gorgeous (from this only, I agree it's like a luxury as people said
tongue.gif
) and it's so portable! Iriver put in a lot of effort in designing. Everything looks great! The package, leather case, back and screen covers and so on. If you have the ak100, you already know how fast the UI is. It's very easy to follow. The volume and song switching buttons are very convenient. And more importantly, it has gapless play!

So how does it sound? Of out the box, it didn't sound as bad as spkrs01 described, but it's pretty dull and meaty. The presentation is more focused on the mid/low part of the spectrum like 801 type of thing. Treble is smooth but not forward enough to my ears. Coherence, dynamics and power are great though. After 4 to 5 hours of burning it of DAP and my brain, the sound improved by a large margin! The bass become more controlled and refined with great depth and slam. The part improved the most is the treble, it became clearer and cleaner, leading to a more spacious presentation with super width, height and depth. I am very impressed by ak120's treble, because it has very high density and very exquisite.  It's easy to hear every single detail without worrying about it going edgy. Really integrated well with the rest of the spectrum.

Overall I am very happy so far, I was thinking about buying another dx100 in case I didn't like the ak120.  Looks like I can settle with ak120 for a while now. Also I was completely blown away when I pair it with a portaphile 627 amp. The sounded so good that I thought it could even compete with Anedio D2 dac.

So what's the sound signature of AK120?  IMO, all dx100, 901 and ak120 are very neutral DAPs. If I have to compare, I would say dx100 is "hi-fi", 901 is "mid-fi", ak120 sits right between them leaning to 901 side. So this thing is more of a potential challenge for 901 than dx100 IMO. Very natural, smooth presentation, great low/mid/high coherence, clean and clear treble. Details are nicely presented. I have never heard of stock ak100, but I heard from my friend I trust, ak100 has somewhat bright presentation. If two chips of 9018 makes 901 sounds more musical (than dx100), the same thing definitely happened here. AK120 is indeed a very musical DAP! And haven't experience any bug on the AK120 at all. Finally a usable UI! But I DO hope ak120's soundstage and treble can open up more since it's still slightly lush side like 901
Well done Iriver!

Will update later if the sound changes more.

May 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #493 of 7,071
Quote:
Hum I was about to consider bying it on Sound Fidelity, but now that I saw the nice price, 1140 pounds, which is 1730 USD...I would rather buy a spare kidney.

But you already have a spare kidney.....

May 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #494 of 7,071
Quote:
Got mine today from Sound Fidelity.
Great next day service and they appear to be first in the UK to get the unit.
So far all is good.
What to do with my AK100?

I got it from there too:wink: They do have great service~ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back