The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,486 of 7,071
Quote:
I'm trying to spell it out in a factual way AmberOzL I never saw you post as provoking...
beerchug.gif

Cheers mate. One day when I buy something with that method and get through customs safely, I will order you a real Belgian beer 
beerchug.gif
, you know the Belgian beers are the best ones 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,487 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
Trough a friend is the best thing to do..I wanted to be hassle free and get it from here.How does it match with the Momentum?
I need the best closed headphones at maximum £250.

I am doing my master in an international program, we have students everywhere around the world EXCEPT USA. Geez, I could so make him/her buy one for me and I would reimbourse. It seems I am a little bit unlucky on these things. So far, no one is going there for travel so I can't use that option but you are right, it would be the best and rather safier way.

Also, can I make a suggestion for closed cans? Try out German Maestro GMP 8.35D. Only 160 euros but I can def. say it can match around 300 euros cans like HD600 (Yes I know they are open back, so figure out the talents of GMP 8.35D). For further information, there is a thread by Acix, with a very nice review and discussions. I also contributed a little bit. A little warning, they are rather flat, revealing, detail masters (ok not like HD800 but you got what I mean) so if you like 'fun' sound signatures, they might not be for you. They are not the flattest thing ever made but more on analytical side of the spectrum with a nice musicality and legendary bass talents. Oh also, I should add because there is literally no headphone can match with it in this subject, they are literally indestructable.

Thanks for that, but what does make thease better then Momentum? I heard the Momentum have the biggest soundstage for a closed can.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,488 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks for that, but what does make thease better then Momentum? I heard the Momentum have the biggest soundstage for a closed can.

Unfortunately I demoed Momentums at store for 10 mins or something. It was not my gear, not my songs I really don't feel like comparing them since it won't be fair to Momentums. However I must mention, they sounded darn good and I was impressed when I took them out of my head. I am sorry I can't help you further on that comparison, maybe someone else can.

As far as soundstage, GMP 8.35D has a fairly large soundstage, to me very 3D but I think it has slightly more width than deep but generally very large esp. for a closed can. What I really like on them is their clarity, detail level and transparency. They are seriously excellent for both mixing, mastering and recording purposes. Also my experience with German Maestro customer service was excellent and I read many posts confirming that so I am not alone. I would say without spending 300 euros these can might help you very happy but try to demo or read about them. However if you gonna spend over 1k for a DAP, you might also get something more high end too. GMP 8.35D has a price of entry level gear but quality of a mid level I would say. Their impedance is also matching with AK120 so FR will not change.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,489 of 7,071
Talking about Momentum... I have one for sale :D. So for curious people wanting to try the pairing, you are most welcome to buy mine :wink:.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,491 of 7,071
Momentum's definitely pair well with the AK120, only issue is that the ear pads are too small, well for me at least and some others, so as good as they sound, I can't use them for any period of time beyond 15 mins without sore ears. So I'd suggest you demo first and check for fit first. It's why I bought the Denon's, far more comfy.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,492 of 7,071
I think sony mdr-1r has very good synegy with the AK120, plus it is crazy comfortable and selling for less than US$200 brand new... Strongly recommend it over the Momentum.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,494 of 7,071
Quote:
I think sony mdr-1r has very good synegy with the AK120, plus it is crazy comfortable and selling for less than US$200 brand new... Strongly recommend it over the Momentum.

What I noticed is that the Sony MDR-1R has a better fregvency response then the Momentums.
Can anybody else confirm that Sony delivery a better sound and a better soundstage?
Is important for me to know what to buy for my AK120.
Cheers...

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,495 of 7,071
Quote:
What I noticed is that the Sony MDR-1R has a better fregvency response then the Momentums.
Can anybody else confirm that Sony delivery a better sound and a better soundstage?
Cheers...

I would say soundwise and soundstage are pretty comparable.  They are both of the more polite and non-fatiguing camp.  The huge difference came in comfort - the 1R is unrivaled in this aspect.  I'd pick the 1R over momentum even if they're of the same price just for the comfort factor alone.  You can check out the 1R thread for more comparison.

Both sounded very good with the AK120.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,496 of 7,071
Quote:
What is the diffrance between GMT 8.35 D monitor and GMT 8.35 D monitor mobile?
Do they come with replaceable cables? I prefer the jack to be 3.5 mm not 6.3 and use adaptor.
Thanks for info.

Normal model has 1.5 meter coiled cable (a part of the cable is coiled), mobile model has 1.2 meter straight cable. The cable quality is same and very good. It is rather thick and hard I doubt something will ever happen to it. My first units cable was defected, GM changed it for me and also I wanted to buy an oval ear pads from them, due to defected cable problem, they didn't charge for the ear pads also they paid for the cargo too. What can I say, great customer service.

Cable is not replecable but if you send a cable to GM they can build it in for you instead of stock one. The default jack is 90 degreed right angled 3.5mm and it comes with 6.3 mm adapter in case you need. Also GM have an option to change the jack to straight instead of angled if you want. All these options are also for free.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,497 of 7,071
Quote:
Cheers...

Soundwise, Momentums are superior in my opinion. Comfortwise Sony beats Senn's easily. Momentum earpads are so small, the design is meant to be over ear but it is actually not. It is more like hybrid between on ear and over ear. So it will sit on your ears unless you have very small ears. Comfort was probably the only thing I didn't like in Momentums. Oh also, build quality wise, Senn's beats Sony MDR1 easily. They are not even comparable. Momentum's are extremely well build but as I said, the comfort is deal breaker for most of us.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,498 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
What is the diffrance between GMT 8.35 D monitor and GMT 8.35 D monitor mobile?
Do they come with replaceable cables? I prefer the jack to be 3.5 mm not 6.3 and use adaptor.
Thanks for info.

Normal model has 1.5 meter coiled cable (a part of the cable is coiled), mobile model has 1.2 meter straight cable. The cable quality is same and very good. It is rather thick and hard I doubt something will ever happen to it. My first units cable was defected, GM changed it for me and also I wanted to buy an oval ear pads from them, due to defected cable problem, they didn't charge for the ear pads also they paid for the cargo too. What can I say, great customer service.

Cable is not replecable but if you send a cable to GM they can build it in for you instead of stock one. The default jack is 90 degreed right angled 3.5mm and it comes with 6.3 mm adapter in case you need. Also GM have an option to change the jack to straight instead of angled if you want. All these options are also for free.

Thank you very helpful.Now I need to find out wich is better, This , the sony or momentum.
Once again many thanks for the info.I sent them an email.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,500 of 7,071
In case you guys come to Belgium, I can let you demo my headphones. I am darn happy with them and currently using for on to go. Easy to drive, build like Panzer, clarity masters considering their price range.

It is kinda HD600 but for portable edition 
happy_face1.gif
 I know it sounds weirdo but it is really on that level.

About comparing with MDR1, Momentum and GMP 8.35D. Unfortunately I would skip Momentum due to comfort. Doesn't matter how good is the sound, if I can't keep them on my head more than 30 mins, it is useless. GMP with oval pads, I can literally wear them all day long. Default pads are slightly less comfortable but nothing big deal. The pads also change the sound. Stock pads have slightly more bass impact. On the other hands with oval pads the bass is a little bit lighter although the quality is still there. Oval pads make them even more transparent and clear sounding. 1 con for oval pads I have to mention cuz it is important for on to go, it is a little bit less isolating then stock pads. Also with stock pads, GMPs are one of the best isolating over ear headphones ever I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back