Technics EAH-T700 - An Impressive High-End 2-Way Headphone
Feb 3, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #62 of 153
another one HERE for a little less: 89,500円 (around 685 euros or  760 dollars)

I'm starting to consider buying this at the end of the month when I travel to japan. 685 euros doesn't sound so bad... I wonder how it would compare to dx1000

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #63 of 153
Thank you Grizz for the video.  Looks like a very well built unit.  Hope these are found in the PNW soon..............so we can audition them. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #65 of 153
So I guess this thing is semi open and uses the same cable as the Z7, So there will be leakage a la Z7. It is reported to need boosting in the bass but that the bass is tight. Also that it is spacious sounding. I have tried very hard to find more information but am not paying the 6 dollars for a german issue of the review that I am uncertain will translate right. 

Here is a pic from the japanese website of the semi open ports at the top of the cups. And of the cable connection.

Also at 470g this thing is quite heavy. That is heavier than the Dharma which has a little bit of weight to it itself.  I was going to jump on these but prob should save for the HD800S. 

equipment
  Adjustable headband, 3.5- / 6.3-mm adapter
Shape

Closed

Ironing form
  headband

frequency range
  30 Hz - 100 kHz

Suitable for
  Hi-Fi

weight
  470 g

rated impedance
  26 Ohm

SPL
  104 dB

Type
  Shell headphones, over-ear headphones

So that reads that this headphone is very heavy, VERY sensitive and can get loud quick from an iPhone. But suggests that sub bass will be lacking because its range doesn't extend below 30 hz. Practically all dynamic drivers start rolling a little and curve downward in the bass so I wouldn't really expect good sub bass extension. Who is to say though that the all important 50Hz doesnt sound great. I hope so...

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #66 of 153
I am a total Technics Fanboy. Before the 85 to 2000 period, they made ultra fine stuff. I have their totl birth year setup in my living room right now. Complete "pro" series with the rack handles, sl b3 and sl 1410 the reel to reel RS 1506 with SB-6000 speakers. Another complete mini setup with an integrated and a beautiful tuner (obsolete gear ftw) with the bookshelf aluminum sb f3s in the guest room.

I am hugely exited about their reentry into market, will buy their new integrated, bookshelf speakers and meda player. (can't afford the 50k big setup, which is a big fantasy of mine to have though...)

This headfone.. Looks reaaly amazing, says Technics on it. Instant want. Super tweeter..? Hmm ok... wait, crosses over where? The f65k??? Jeez Technics, maybe I'll buy it and rip your audiophile wannabe highres idiotic crap heart out and install some t5p drivers instead.

What are they thinking, headphones for dogs?

But Pro Light and Sound is around the corner and I'll be in Frankfurt for it so we shall listen and see. Hope there is a Technics booth...

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #69 of 153
  So I guess this thing is semi open and uses the same cable as the Z7, So there will be leakage a la Z7. It is reported to need boosting in the bass but that the bass is tight. Also that it is spacious sounding. I have tried very hard to find more information but am not paying the 6 dollars for a german issue of the review that I am uncertain will translate right. 

Here is a pic from the japanese website of the semi open ports at the top of the cups. And of the cable connection.

Also at 470g this thing is quite heavy. That is heavier than the Dharma which has a little bit of weight to it itself.  I was going to jump on these but prob should save for the HD800S. 

equipment
  Adjustable headband, 3.5- / 6.3-mm adapter
Shape

Closed

Ironing form
  headband

frequency range
  30 Hz - 100 kHz

Suitable for
  Hi-Fi

weight
  470 g

rated impedance
  26 Ohm

SPL
  104 dB

Type
  Shell headphones, over-ear headphones

So that reads that this headphone is very heavy, VERY sensitive and can get loud quick from an iPhone. But suggests that sub bass will be lacking because its range doesn't extend below 30 hz. Practically all dynamic drivers start rolling a little and curve downward in the bass so I wouldn't really expect good sub bass extension. Who is to say though that the all important 50Hz doesnt sound great. I hope so...

I`ve demo`d these a few times now, here in Tokyo and I can assure you the bass goes lower than 30 Hz !  Everything else you are assuming is correct, basically.  The low impedance and high efficiency mean it will indeed go loud quickly : I am using the same volumes with the Technics as I do with my UM Maverick IEMs (30 ohm), out of my AK120ii player.  

Isolation I would estimate to be fair - better than Fostex closed cans, not as good beyerT5p or my B&O H6, probably similar to Z7, SH1540.  I would like to do a direct A-B against some of these to compare isolation/leakage. 

The Technics are heavy, but they are extremely metal : everything is metal and engineered-seeming, and the cups not only rotate to lay flat, they also slide forward and aft on short rails.  They are extremely polished.  I`d say the build is better than the Sony Z7, with none of the DIY-ness of Audeze or Hifiman, and none of the plasticness of ATH or Senn.   The weight is mitigated by the incredibly soft and sealing memory foam ear cups and by the very deeply padded headband.  The whole contraption is like putting airbags on your head.

On the other hand,  I wonder about long term comfort because of the weight, and I also worry about the headphones getting hot in the summer.  

I also worry about long-term integrity of the headband/yoke structure : it`s quite a complicated affair.   They are made in Japan, so one can be optimistic.  There is a T700 out on display at E-earphone in Tokyo, which is always a good way to stress-test gear because the place is packed all the time and everything is getting demo`d, mauled, fumbled with and dropped, all day long.  

The HD800S is a radically different headphone, totally wide open, and twice the price, here in Japan.  My friend here whose opinion I respect claims the T700 is better than the Ether C (2.5x the price of the Technics), which I haven`t heard yet but am following closely.  I find that quite the statement, and I intend to do a deeper A-B session soon with the T700 vs the AKT5p, beyer 1770, my H6 and the Ether C. . . .  

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #70 of 153

[/QUOTE]

I`ve demo`d these a few times now, here in Tokyo and I can assure you the bass goes lower than 30 Hz !  Everything else you are assuming is correct, basically.  The low impedance and high efficiency mean it will indeed go loud quickly : I am using the same volumes with the Technics as I do with my UM Maverick IEMs (30 ohm), out of my AK120ii player.  

Isolation I would estimate to be fair - better than Fostex closed cans, not as good beyerT5p or my B&O H6, probably similar to Z7, SH1540.  I would like to do a direct A-B against some of these to compare isolation/leakage. 

The Technics are heavy, but they are extremely metal : everything is metal and engineered-seeming, and the cups not only rotate to lay flat, they also slide forward and aft on short rails.  They are extremely polished.  I`d say the build is better than the Sony Z7, with none of the DIY-ness of Audeze or Hifiman, and none of the plasticness of ATH or Senn.   The weight is mitigated by the incredibly soft and sealing memory foam ear cups and by the very deeply padded headband.  The whole contraption is like putting airbags on your head.

On the other hand,  I wonder about long term comfort because of the weight, and I also worry about the headphones getting hot in the summer.  

I also worry about long-term integrity of the headband/yoke structure : it`s quite a complicated affair.   They are made in Japan, so one can be optimistic.  There is a T700 out on display at E-earphone in Tokyo, which is always a good way to stress-test gear because the place is packed all the time and everything is getting demo`d, mauled, fumbled with and dropped, all day long.  

The HD800S is a radically different headphone, totally wide open, and twice the price, here in Japan.  My friend here whose opinion I respect claims the T700 is better than the Ether C (2.5x the price of the Technics), which I haven`t heard yet but am following closely.  I find that quite the statement, and I intend to do a deeper A-B session soon with the T700 vs the AKT5p, beyer 1770, my H6 and the Ether C. . . .  
[/quote]
That's good news. Already got the hd800s. Not wanting a comparison. I do want to hear these though. I only check out because I read 30hz. But the previos poster said 3hz and I just found it. He was right.

Official specs:
Headphone Type
Closed
Driver & Diaphragm
2" (50 mm) + Super Tweeter
Advanced MLF + Aluminum
Frequency Response
3 Hz – 100 kHz (Target)
Headphone Adjustment
Horizontal Slider / Swivel
Headband Slider / Housing Tilt
Cord
4' (1.2 m) 4N-OFC/9'10" (3.0 m) 4N-OFC
1 1/2" (3.5 mm) -> 2 1/2" (6.3 mm) adapter
Balance Connection Compatible
Features and Technology
Natural Sound-field with Angled-Driver [AD] System
100 kHz High Resolution Sound with Super Tweeter
High Linearity 50 mm Dynamic Driver
Floating Dynamic Driver & Anti-vibration Driver’s Frame for Unnecessary Resonance and Vibration Elimination
Anti-reverberation Structure with Speaker Plate and Ear Pads
3D Ergonomic Ear Pads

Kinda excited and willing to sell some gear for it.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #71 of 153

[/quote]
That's good news. Already got the hd800s. Not wanting a comparison. I do want to hear these though. I only check out because I read 30hz. But the previos poster said 3hz and I just found it. He was right.

Official specs:
Headphone Type
Closed
Driver & Diaphragm
2" (50 mm) + Super Tweeter
Advanced MLF + Aluminum
Frequency Response
3 Hz – 100 kHz (Target)
Headphone Adjustment
Horizontal Slider / Swivel
Headband Slider / Housing Tilt
Cord
4' (1.2 m) 4N-OFC/9'10" (3.0 m) 4N-OFC
1 1/2" (3.5 mm) -> 2 1/2" (6.3 mm) adapter
Balance Connection Compatible
Features and Technology
Natural Sound-field with Angled-Driver [AD] System
100 kHz High Resolution Sound with Super Tweeter
High Linearity 50 mm Dynamic Driver
Floating Dynamic Driver & Anti-vibration Driver’s Frame for Unnecessary Resonance and Vibration Elimination
Anti-reverberation Structure with Speaker Plate and Ear Pads
3D Ergonomic Ear Pads

Kinda excited and willing to sell some gear for it.[/quote]

I'd trade my HD800 for these in a heartbeat.........

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #72 of 153
So here is an excellent review. This is via google translate. Copied and pasted from here
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/technics-eah-t700-p31701/test.html&prev=search

TEST / Technics EAH-T700: a stereo headset that promises the moon

For worshipers shine

technics-eah-t700_daf9e1c39eaf2624_450x400.jpg

1. Note Digital 
    green-4_v2.png
  2. Be the first to review
    Rate

0​
 interested I want it!

Add to Favorites
 | 
8​

​

8​

benoit_60x60.jpg
Benoît CampionPublished March 3, 2016

Presented during the fair IFA 2015, the hi-fi headphone EAH-T700 is one of the incarnations of the rebirth of Technics. It is currently the only helmet that offers the brand, which ranks without modesty in the world's best touting its sound quality and its extraordinary frequency response that ranges from 3 Hz to 100 kHz, only this! This helmet clearly selling us the dream, but she will slap finally for us or for him?

CHARACTERISTICS
 ​

1. Headphones Type Closed
  2. Dynamic loudspeaker
  3. Cord length 3 m
  4. NC weight

Face to face

ERGONOMICS 
green-5_v2.png
 ​

Love it or not its looks both solid and said, we must admit that the T700 has enjoyed a real job manufacturing. And on this point, we are quite spoiled with quality materials and an arch aluminum and leather cushions with thick shape memory foams. 

T700 needs to be spoiled because some areas are sensitive to friction. For this, a large leather case comes with the headset.

The helmet arises very naturally on the head and offers a virtually irreproachable comfort. We owe it to the softness and flexibility of the pads, but also the small hoop adjustment system on the horizontal axis. The scalloped arch allows very large heads using headphones, but this is not the case for smaller. 

Indeed, particularly further earbuds may even affecting the jaw smaller jigs. Nothing special to report on the other hand to eyeglass wearers. 
The atria keep a little warm for long listening sessions, but we have seen worse with closed helmets. The high passive insulation provides good immersion. 

The headset connects via two mini-jack connectors underneath each ear. The connection is secured by a screw system. The two cables (respectively 1.2 and 3 m) are very thick and particularly strong. A 6.35 mm jack adapter is also in the game. 

We only regret that 1.2 m of cable and angled connector - two characteristics of nomads helmets - do not translate into the possibility of using the WASH-T700 on the go: without remote control or microphone cable does Technics going through with the idea, and that's a shame. 
t7001m.jpg

AUDIO 
green-4_v2.png
 ​

To take his sweet promises, each earpiece of Technics EAH-T700 features a 50 mm speaker and a super tweeter 14mm. The speakers are inclined and the chassis have been designed stiff aluminum to remove unwanted resonances and vibrations. 

The reality is unfortunately quite different, because the T700 offers "only" good sound performance. This headset offers a musical sound reproduction, but especially colorful and centered shine.
technicst700fq.jpg

Measuring the frequency response: As you can see exaggerates the hollow between 2 and 5 kHz​

The grave is both punchy, powerful and accurate. However, this area is a little unbalanced and roundness of certain instruments (bass, bass or male voices, to name a few examples) asserts too much on some mixes. We would also have liked bass with more body and depth, as they are quite discrete final. The minutes of the vote, brighter than present is a little disappointing. This is especially the case on female voice more nasal. Wheezing comes sometimes awaken our eardrums. This color also affects guitars and brass, for example, which seem too blunt and background. This boost in the treble around 9 kHz, reinforced by the hollow in the high mids / highs, also played on the cymbals. Is output in particular metal way. 

A major strength of this helmet lies primarily in its return to the soundstage and dynamics. The stereo is most excellent and can enjoy an extremely broad and very readable scene horizontally. In addition, the dynamic has a beautiful reproduction. The T700 is sensitive to small details and subtle effects, such as for reverberation, which is very pleasant to listen to. The depth reading is less obvious, however, especially when there are many sources that are expressed simultaneously. 
technicst700disto.jpg

Harmonic Distortion measurement rate percentage​

Finally, the other strength lies in its very high power. This Technics helmet needs only 81 mV to reach 94 dB; a high score that was given to us to see far. To give you an idea, the HE-400s Hifiman needs 352 mV to reach that level.So you can use the T700 no problem with the majority of sources.

STRENGTHS​

1. pretty accurate sound rendering.
  2. Extremely wide stereo / dynamic Belle.
  3. Big power.
  4. Assembly and quality materials.
  5. Very comfortable.
  6. High passive insulation.

WEAK POINTS​

1. Too much focus on the brightness.
  2. Bass lacking depth.
  3. Some sources are down sharply.
  4. A helmet that does not intend to small heads.
  5. 1.2 meter cable without remote control or microphone.

CONCLUSION 
green-4_v2.png

The Technics EAH-T700 does not reach the excellence that he promises. Although it is very well built, comfortable and powerful, but the audio is too centered on the brilliance. Moreover, it is far from true in other areas of the spectrum. Fortunately it offers excellent stereo and a well-respected dynamics, otherwise another star would surge.

I guess the bass is described kind of oddly that it is a bit much for male vocals and lacks body yet is powerful and accurate. The graph looks horrible for someone after neutrality though. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #73 of 153
So just to give an idea of how that site measures some other popular headphones, none of which are as oddly balanced as this one:

DENON AH-MM400

he400S

AKG N90Q (1499msrp)

Technics eah-1700 929 usd
 biggest  upper midrange suck out I have ever seen. Strong sibilance peak. Good bass extension. Voices must sound really off. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #75 of 153
We gotta get a audition tour going on this one..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back