Sugden Headmaster vs. Headroom MOH review
May 6, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 101
kwkarth, I am doing straight runs from source to the headamps. And normally I probably wouldn't have noticed the reverb-y sound except that I've already heard the other types of crossfeeds out there, and the phenomenon is just a bit too obvious for me then to not notice it. It didn't strike me as too out of place either since Headroom said they had updated their crossfeed to I believe version 3.0, and as far as crossfeed goes it works. I fully expected the crossfeed to differ in style from their previous one, but I must say this is a rather unnatural way to go about it, if I am hearing things right.

As for the jacks, they seem to be designed to accept some other type of plug as well, XLR I believe. Maybe they lock fully with those types of plugs?
confused.gif

May 6, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #17 of 101
Thanks for the info Vert.

Yeah, the new Neutrik's on the new HR amps will accept an A3M plug which locks in place. I have both the old and the new jacks on hand and I feel that the new ones are not inferior in any way with regard to the quality of the electrical connection they make with a stereo phone plug. If anything, there may actually be better contact with the new jacks even though they don't lock on phone plugs.

May 6, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #18 of 101
Hmm, I must have missed something about how you are doing with the big T... sounds like you got better--else why would you be doing heavy review listening now?
confused.gif

The Sugden sounds more and more tempting...
evil_smiley.gif
and still cheaper than the MOH, no? What's the best price you can get for these amps?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 6, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
As for the jacks, they seem to be designed to accept some other type of plug as well, XLR I believe. Maybe they lock fully with those types of plugs?
confused.gif

Vert, if my memory from being a sound guy (years ago, mind you) serve me correctly, the "locking" mechanism is only applicable for XLR connections (which are designed to lock). Using a regular plug you'll simply get the standard resistance.

May 6, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 101
If I read Kwarth's response correctly, there are two types of locking Neutrick jacks. The ones on my MID do indeed lock standard phono plugs (which I prefer).

May 6, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #21 of 101
Joe, I still got the big T. I'm just living with it.
frown.gif

Sugdens rarely come up used, but when they do they go between $5-650. New ones go for $800-900, and by now I think they're all remote controlled versions.

May 6, 2002 at 8:38 AM Post #22 of 101
I just got done ordering a MOH ref the other day. While I have seen wonderful reviews of the Sugden Headmaster here at Head-Fi, I had to take into account some pratical conciderations. Headroom gives fast delivery and a very generous 30 day trial period. I loved the sound of my old MOH with my HD 600s so I know I will not be disappointed with the new MOH . If anything should go wrong with my MOH, or I would like some future up-grade, Headroom service is but a toll free call away. You wrote a good review Vertigo, but anyone who was thinking of getting a new MOH shouldn't be discourged by it. Give Headroom a call and I doubt you will be returning that MOH unit back.

May 6, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 101
I really think both amps are absolutely fine amps, and others may very well dig the Headroom sound. I know Headroom extensively used the HD600s as a reference point during the design stage, so it may be voiced better towards it. So indeed, my review is only one consumer's viewpoint. Don't let it stop you from trying it out yourself!

May 6, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 101
kenneth

Look, I dig Headroom. I think Todd and Tyll are pretty cool people with some great information who really connect with their customers and I'm glad Headroom is a sponsor at HeadFi and I'm appreciative of their programs and incentives and such. I hope what I say doesn't take away from that.

You haven't heard the new MOH. You haven't heard the Sugden. You're in absolutely no position at all to recommend people go with one over the other. It's great that Headroom has succeeded in building a good reputation of customer service but it's ****ing tragic when people buy a companies' products blindly and then actually go out of their way to somehow contradict what someone who has actually bothered to post an informative comparative review has to say about them.

And as to the company of Sugden. I have not dealt with Sugden and I don't know how their customer service is. It might be awful. But it might be just as good or better than Headroom's. To assume otherwise about a company simply because you're unfamiliar with them is not reasonable.

I love Headroom, but I wish we could compare products as products, not as symbols of corporate loyalties.

May 6, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #26 of 101
Natural decay huh? : plans to snatch kellys RKV and Verts Headmaster :
evil_smiley.gif

From looking at the pictures, the Sugden I think is definately the sexiest solid state amp that I've seen, however the Max does look quite beastly.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2002 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 101
Vert,

So you have stopped the crazy sell-off?

I read about your listening habits in your R10 for sale thread, and I have a hard time believing that your tinnitus can have anything to do with them. It would be such a shame to give up Head-Fi and then find out that your T was really caused by ear infections, alignment of the stars or whatever
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 6, 2002 at 11:56 AM Post #28 of 101
Nice review, interesting to hear others impressions of gear, filtered through thier preferences and thier systems.

I own the MOHR and Corda, and as far as crossfeed I think the MOHR is far superior. I think the Corda actually sounds better with no crossfeed. If the MOHR had no crossfeed I would not have purchased the unit since the Corda is very close/equal in performance when no crossfeed is used on MOHR, and therefore the price difference couldn't be justified.

The MOHR with crossfeed is completely animal, 3D illusion is greatly enhanced, along with full rich sound. Overall I agree the MOHR is a warm sounding unit and does usually need the brightness filter for maximum performance.

I got the loop out version, but agree the rear mounted input switch is pretty useless. I do think the other controls are very useful to tailor sound especially if you have several headphones.
This is the only amp I've owned that can be made to sound great with Senn 600 & Sony 3000 with flip of a switch.

(Please note I have the MOHR and Vertigo was using the MOH)

May 6, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #29 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
kwkarth, I am doing straight runs from source to the headamps. And normally I probably wouldn't have noticed the reverb-y sound except that I've already heard the other types of crossfeeds out there, and the phenomenon is just a bit too obvious for me then to not notice it. It didn't strike me as too out of place either since Headroom said they had updated their crossfeed to I believe version 3.0, and as far as crossfeed goes it works. I fully expected the crossfeed to differ in style from their previous one, but I must say this is a rather unnatural way to go about it, if I am hearing things right.

Reverb-y compared to other crossfeed types is one thing -- but then it should be even more reverb-y relative to crossfeed-off. Again, no matter the headphones, I haven't heard any sense of reverb.

I guess it could be your headphones (the R10s) -- try it with your others. My wife just bought me AKG K-240Studio headphones as one of my early anniversary presents, and though the crossfeed isn't reverb-y with them, I find these headphones completely unlistenable with crossfeed -- though they do sound very nice sans crossfeed (I'm still not sure if I'm keeping them). I do, however, find the crossfeed works astonishingly well with HD-600s.

May 6, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
I do, however, find the crossfeed works astonishingly well with HD-600s.

I was not very happy with my HD600 headphones until I got the MOH and applied the processor feature. We are a much happier couple today.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back