Soundmagic PL-50 Review
Jul 10, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #46 of 224
Mark2410,

Sorry - it turns out I have at least one more question. After reading about the PL50 - I decided to research budget Balanced Armatures. I've only ever owned dynamic drivers.

I just noticed that the Klipsch Custom 2's are available online for between $70 and $80 - and reviews vary from good to great. They're dual armatures and for only $20 more are probably due my consideration. I noticed you've heard or owned them before - can you compare them to the PL50? You made two comparisons relative to the mids and highs - but am I correct in saying that you preferred these overall?

Thanks for all the detail you've provided.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #47 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed that the Klipsch Custom 2's are available online for between $70 and $80 - and reviews vary from good to great. They're dual armatures and for only $20 more are probably due my consideration. I noticed you've heard or owned them before - can you compare them to the PL50? You made two comparisons relative to the mids and highs - but am I correct in saying that you preferred these overall?

Already considering spending $20 more, eh? Welcome to head-fi
wink.gif
. Maybe you'd want to throw in $20 more and get the RE0 for $99? It's at least a class above the Custom 2's IMO. Speaking of dual drivers, ADDIEMs house a pair of balanced armatures in each earpiece as well, and cost only $30. Just an FYI.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #48 of 224
IIRC, Custom 2 is one-way dual BA while Custom 3 is 2-ways dual BA, as is ADDIEM.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #49 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark2410,

Sorry - it turns out I have at least one more question. After reading about the PL50 - I decided to research budget Balanced Armatures. I've only ever owned dynamic drivers.

Thanks for all the detail you've provided.

i still own them both. on the whole i liked the PL-50 more, a more fun sound for me. really it would be more a matter of taste between the two, but i did feel the pl-50's were cleaner and more transparent with far better highs. the custom 2 were much warmer and more bassy.

i do feel the pl-50 are the better of the two but close enough so that the sound signature is more important in deciding between them.

custom 2 isolates far better if thats important to you, otherwise id take the pl50.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #51 of 224
The 2nd batch is said to be released in this week or next., but you still have to consider the shipping time from SoundMAGIC to their dealer.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #53 of 224
I contacted MP4nation and got this reply:

"We will have it in stock by mid august, we are awaiting for SoundMagic to finish their next production run of the earphones."

Hopefully they are pessimistic!

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #54 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I contacted MP4nation and got this reply:

"We will have it in stock by mid august, we are awaiting for SoundMagic to finish their next production run of the earphones."

Hopefully they are pessimistic!

That's quicker than I estimated for mp4nation. Good news there, thanks.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #56 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Focalprice says "Yes, the PL 50 will show on line on July 23th or about." )

Thats soon! Anyone ordered from Focal price before? They strike me as a sort of dealX type company... any reports of fakes etc?

Oh, just for the sake of it, this guy didn't think too much of them... doesn't really sound like he knows what he's on about mind you
wink.gif
http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/...-a-139779.html

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #58 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats soon! Anyone ordered from Focal price before? They strike me as a sort of dealX type company... any reports of fakes etc?

Oh, just for the sake of it, this guy didn't think too much of them... doesn't really sound like he knows what he's on about mind you
wink.gif
Soundmagic PL-50! - TechEnclave

Focalprice is indeed similar to DX. They do sell fakes (some audio-technicas, sennheisers, etc) but there are no fakes of Soundmagic Products. At least there weren't until now because Soundmagic phones arent expensive enough for fakes to be lucrative. Some people have had bad experiences with them, but that is true of most sites (I, for one, am quite unhappy with my last mp4nation transaction, but that doesn't mean they arent legit).

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #60 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif
Soundmagic PL-50! - TechEnclave

focal are fine. My pl30s are great and I even got the earhooks with them and use them. FREE shipping too, cheers
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back