Soundmagic PL-50 Review
Jul 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 224
This may seem like a stupid question, but with the earhooks - do you think these would be adequate for running?

I want to upgrade my running headphones - and was considering the Philips SHS8000 - which were recommended on this forum. I currently use Sennheiser Twist to Fit earbuds which stay in well, but don't sound very good. IEM's I've tried sound better, but don't stay in.

I realize these may be overkill, but I was thinking about spending $30 on the Philips. If the Soundmagic stay in just as well, the audio quality alone would be a good reason to spend the extra $20 to $25.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those and the RE-2 seem to be the closest competition and I'd also like to hear about a comparison between either of those and the PL-50 - not sure anyone has both (unless someone posted and the brain cells holding that memory were destroyed over the holiday).

Check out the link in my signature, Multiple IEM shootout v.2.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the link in my signature, Multiple IEM shootout v.2.

Oh yeah - I've been pointed to that befroe.
redface.gif

would you be able to compare the PL50 to the RE-2?

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 224
Quote:

would you be able to compare the PL50 to the RE-2?

I am not sure what else you want beside what I already said in those comparison. Here is just a side by side comparison taken directly from the RE2 and PL-50 rating, which you can make out by yourself. You can read the detail in both the link above.

Build Quality: PL-50 > RE2
Accessories: PL-50 > RE2
Isolation: RE2 > PL-50
Microphonics: PL-50 > RE2
Comfort: PL-50 = RE2
Soundstage: RE2 > PL-50
Sound Quality: PL-50 = RE2 (Sound signature is different, but SQ is very close (0.5 / 5) to each other. Personally, I prefer PL-50 more)
Value: PL-50 = RE2 (again, also very close)

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure what else you want beside what I already said in those comparison. Here is just a side by side comparison taken directly from the RE2 and PL-50 rating, which you can make out by yourself. You can read the detail in both the link above.

Build Quality: PL-50 > RE2
Accessories: PL-50 > RE2
Isolation: RE2 > PL-50
Microphonics: PL-50 > RE2
Comfort: PL-50 = RE2
Soundstage: RE2 > PL-50
Sound Quality: PL-50 = RE2 (Sound signature is different, but SQ is very close (0.5 / 5) to each other. Personally, I prefer PL-50 more)
Value: PL-50 = RE2 (again, also very close)

Thanks for the summary. Surprised that the isolation for RE-2 is better since I think people have said that they are not very isolating (holes in the back), and the SoundMagic look more 'closed'. hmmm... decisions...

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #24 of 224
Quote:

Thanks for the summary. Surprised that the isolation for RE-2 is better since I think people have said that they are not very isolating (holes in the back), and the SoundMagic look more 'closed'. hmmm... decisions...

I presume that its the unconventional design of the PL50s. This makes them shallow-insertion IEMs by design. Therefore, their isolation is mediocre at best, just like the PL30, Nuforce Ne-8, and MEElectronics AI-M6.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 224
Read the two links and the associated in-depth reviews and you will know why PL-50 has lesser isolation in my review. These are just quick sum-up comparison and they are not meant to provide all the answer. You will mislead yourself if you are basing all your opinion solely on these comparison.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 224
First off thanks for the reviews mark and clieos, it makes me kind of jealous...
smily_headphones1.gif

In your review mark, you said that these might be good to sleep on. Do you really mean like sideways, ear against the pillow type? Have you tried? They don't look like the most comfortable pair of iems to sleep on.

As for my other question, where are you guys getting these from? I can't find it anywhere but eBay at a much higher price than $55. Thank god I took my sweet time picking out my iems, always been a Soundmagic fan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 224
The first batch has been sold out, mostly to HK based retailer and bulk order around S.E.A. and India. That is why most online stores haven't get their stock yet. The 2nd batch is said to be ready in next week or so, so you can expect more to pop up before the end of the month.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #28 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may seem like a stupid question, but with the earhooks - do you think these would be adequate for running?

I want to upgrade my running headphones - and was considering the Philips SHS8000 - which were recommended on this forum. I currently use Sennheiser Twist to Fit earbuds which stay in well, but don't sound very good. IEM's I've tried sound better, but don't stay in.

I realize these may be overkill, but I was thinking about spending $30 on the Philips. If the Soundmagic stay in just as well, the audio quality alone would be a good reason to spend the extra $20 to $25.

well im not a big runner (ie never) but i would expect so, i got quite a snug fit from the ear hooks and thier rubbery texture made them quite grippy

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review. where did you get them from? and whats the isolation like? you never mentioned it...

added a bit about the isolation, its fine, reasonably good nothing special as they are quite shallow but they are closed so it blocks out most. i got them as a review sample.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #29 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off thanks for the reviews mark and clieos, it makes me kind of jealous...
smily_headphones1.gif

In your review mark, you said that these might be good to sleep on. Do you really mean like sideways, ear against the pillow type? Have you tried? They don't look like the most comfortable pair of iems to sleep on.

the sleeping thing, yes i stuck my head side ways ont he couch and they were fine, i get what you mean about the shape but because they are so super thin i just coudlnt feel anything. cant promise it would be the same for you but their thinness is quite extreme. see the pic with them side on next to the SE530.

adding in a pic of the IE7 in my ears to show the size difference an you will see a little more what i mean, the PL-50 are tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back