Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Feb 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #452 of 775
Ya Broseph, the HP150 runs circles around the M50. It's not even a contest. From the stuff I've heard, the HP150 is probably the best closed back headphone under $200.

I liked the M50, but yeah, I couldn't agree with you more, it's not even a contest. Then again, I personally gave an edge (albeit slight) to the Pro80 over the M50 in the first place, but the HP150 are on a completely different level. Just amazing. :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #456 of 775
Anyone who has these that can recommend me a good, cheap-ish headphone amp for these? Doesn't have to be portable, I'm planning for home use.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #457 of 775
  Anyone who has these that can recommend me a good, cheap-ish headphone amp for these? Doesn't have to be portable, I'm planning for home use.

I run my HP150 with the Fiio E12. These two together have a great sound. I think you would be impressed. Just make sure to run with the bass boost off, and you will have a great experience.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #458 of 775
In addition to the Fiio I used this tube amp AND OMG, these were good before but with this amp it was ridiculous how wonderful they sounded:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IMQOLRMUZB9C&coliid=I15ZT00Z7AEQGN&psc=1

tis the bravo v2 tube amp (typically find for $70 or less)...HIGHLY recommended

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #459 of 775
OK all you HP 150 owners, this is super-big stuff! I have taken a chance on sending my pair out to a local modding hobbyist and I can tell you that the results are extraordinary enough that I would consider this one of the most groundbreaking mods in recent history - almost unrecognizeably better than the unmodded version. This is a balanced and unbalanced mod and has also been auditioned by Stillhart and the staff of SoundMAGIC themselves at Can Jam last week. I created a new thread for it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803137

We hope to see you all there!

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #460 of 775
  In addition to the Fiio I used this tube amp AND OMG, these were good before but with this amp it was ridiculous how wonderful they sounded:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IMQOLRMUZB9C&coliid=I15ZT00Z7AEQGN&psc=1

tis the bravo v2 tube amp (typically find for $70 or less)...HIGHLY recommended

Agreed. I have the Little Bear version of this amp and it sounds nice (esp. with some mods and a "proper" tube
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #461 of 775

Agreed. I have the Little Bear version of this amp and it sounds nice (esp. with some mods and a "proper" tube
biggrin.gif
)

What mods did you do to your HP150?

Also, I read your signature. I found it funny even though I'm not quite sure what it means XD

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #462 of 775
  What mods did you do to your HP150?

Also, I read your signature. I found it funny even though I'm not quite sure what it means XD

Actually, the mods were done to the amp - replaced some caps, mosfets. I do have angled hm5 pads on the 150s tho

My sig… that's due to the fact of many broken things because of gravity, and a shout out to Iron Mike
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #463 of 775

Actually, the mods were done to the amp - replaced some caps, mosfets. I do have angled hm5 pads on the 150s tho

My sig… that's due to the fact of many broken things because of gravity, and a shout out to Iron Mike
wink.gif

I know zip about amp mods. How good is the amp without mods, and how much money/effort is necessary to make it shine? I'm really curious about getting some sort of a tube amp, but I don't feel like spending a gazillion dollars before at least dipping my feet in the water. I'm not completely technically inept, but I've never tried modding an amp specifically :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back