Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #541 of 775
Do you have a link for the pads you're using?

Got mine from this seller: https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Replacement-Angled-Memory-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI - price has gone up since I bought mine

Seems to me the ss is moved more forward than the stock pads, but I'm not too good at doing audio comparisions.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #542 of 775
Jul 2, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #543 of 775
Is there much of a difference in SQ?

May increase soundstage by a hair, but for me it's mostly about comfort..

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #544 of 775

Agreed. I also have a standard pair of hm5 pleathers, but the extra thickness of the angled pads ensures that nothing is pressing against my ears. I did think the hm5 pads may have tightened up the bass a bit too, but I haven't been bothered to switch back to stock and try to compare.
The velour pads didn't cut it though, made the 150s sound rather hollow.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #545 of 775

Agreed. I also have a standard pair of hm5 pleathers, but the extra thickness of the angled pads ensures that nothing is pressing against my ears. I did think the hm5 pads may have tightened up the bass a bit too, but I haven't been bothered to switch back to stock and try to compare.
The velour pads didn't cut it though, made the 150s sound rather hollow.

Thanks guys, I just ordered a pair.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #547 of 775
How the heck do you get these pads on? The membrane that holds it on to the cup seems to be way to big.

I also did a recable job.

It takes a whole lot of stretching. It was suggested that using a tire lever could help (that was for the X2, but should apply here). Basically the process is like changing a tire… hook one side on the earcup (helps to completely cover the earcup and worry about fitting it into the groove afterwards) and slowly work your way around. If your patient it will stretch without ripping .

Your new cable hardwired? Don't see any connectors

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #548 of 775
How the heck do you get these pads on? The membrane that holds it on to the cup seems to be way to big.

I also did a recable job.

It takes a whole lot of stretching. It was suggested that using a tire lever could help (that was for the X2, but should apply here). Basically the process is like changing a tire… hook one side on the earcup (helps to completely cover the earcup and worry about fitting it into the groove afterwards) and slowly work your way around. If your patient it will stretch without ripping .

Your new cable hardwired? Don't see any connectors

I'll give it another shot......thanks!

Yes it's hardwired, connectors get in the way of my mod.

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #549 of 775
...Yes it's hardwired, connectors get in the way of my mod.

Did you make the cable's connection balanced or unbalanced?

I've found the use of new connectors or hardwired cables do get in the way of folding/packing the headphones a little bit. This is how mines looks when trying to fold the cups backwards:

Best Regards,
Lyova Margaryan of Tru-Fi Speakers

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #550 of 775
...Yes it's hardwired, connectors get in the way of my mod.

Did you make the cable's connection balanced or unbalanced?

I've found the use of new connectors or hardwired cables do get in the way of folding/packing the headphones a little bit. This is how mines looks when trying to fold the cups backwards:

Best Regards,

It's unbalanced. I happened to have a couple of cables from a trade I made last year, o when I found I had to take the the old cable fittings out to fit my mod in the cup, they came in handy. You're right though they don't fold up like they used to.

Nice job on your cables.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #551 of 775
It's unbalanced. I happened to have a couple of cables from a trade I made last year, o when I found I had to take the the old cable fittings out to fit my mod in the cup, they came in handy. You're right though they don't fold up like they used to.

Nice job on your cables.

The dj earcup swiveling feature also is more annoying to use with the double sided cable I have noticed, not that I'd generally be using it anyway as it takes more work trying to swivel a single earcup than it does pulling it off of your ear. What do you think?

Best Regards,

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #552 of 775

Nice job on your cables.

The dj earcup swiveling feature also is more annoying to use with the double sided cable I have noticed, not that I'd generally be using it anyway as it takes more work trying to swivel a single earcup than it does pulling it off of your ear. What do you think?

Best Regards,

I'm trying not to swivel at all as it seems that's the weak spot on these cans.

I have to say I don't like what the Brainwavz pads do to the sound of my HP150. In my opinion the ear needs to be closer to the driver than what these pads allow.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #553 of 775

I have to say I don't like what the Brainwavz pads do to the sound of my HP150. In my opinion the ear needs to be closer to the driver than what these pads allow.

D'oh!  All that work for nothing
wink.gif

What was it you didn't like?

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #554 of 775

D'oh!  All that work for nothing:wink:
What was it you didn't like?

I listened to them for a few days but didn't like what I was hearing. One thing was there wasn't a lot of space between instruments also the the sound wasn't dynamic, rather lackluster presentation. I didn't want to take the pads off because it took me so long to put them on but when I did this morning it was back to the sound I enjoyed.

If you press the pads closser to your ears you can you'll hear the difference.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #555 of 775

I listened to them for a few days but didn't like what I was hearing. One thing was there wasn't a lot of space between instruments also the the sound wasn't dynamic, rather lackluster presentation. I didn't want to take the pads off because it took me so long to put them on but when I did this morning it was back to the sound I enjoyed.

If you press the pads closser to your ears you can you'll hear the difference.

Really? That's unfortunate, I was thinking about giving the Brainwavz pads a try over my Dekoni ones. But, between what you said about them being a hard fit and too big, then I guess I just might not. I wonder if that also might mean that I could rule out the Audeze LCD pads (being the size they are)?

Best Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back