Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #571 of 775
  That's a possibility. Are you sure it's not your X3.

Tried em with my stereo also, so its not the source
  Damn, that's rough. The cables really shouldn't get in the way through tilt and swivel, unless they're placed really weirdly in yours. They're easy to open though, if you feel like checking.

I'll crack em open and have a looksee. Maybe it's just a bad solder joint on the board 7keys pointed out. Might even go savage with some blutack

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #572 of 775
Sadly, the exploratory surgery didn't go well. The wires looked intact, solder joints were ok - touched em up just to be sure. No improvement. Maybe a blown driver? - still not sure how that could happen when your not using them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #573 of 775
  Sadly, the exploratory surgery didn't go well. The wires looked intact, solder joints were ok - touched em up just to be sure. No improvement. Maybe a blown driver? - still not sure how that could happen when your not using them.

I have a hard time believing it's the driver also. If all else fails you could try rewiring them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #574 of 775
  I have a hard time believing it's the driver also. If all else fails you could try rewiring them.

Got my old Grado cable lying round. Might not be enough left to do a complete rewire (been using it to make attenuator adapters), but at least I could redo the PCB to left driver part. Don't suppose it could be the jack could it? Seems with the locking collar on the earcup that should protect it for any undue stress

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #575 of 775

Got my old Grado cable lying round. Might not be enough left to do a complete rewire (been using it to make attenuator adapters), but at least I could redo the PCB to left driver part. Don't suppose it could be the jack could it? Seems with the locking collar on the earcup that should protect it for any undue stress

You could use that grado cable to test the driver, you wouldn't actually have to take the driver out of it's cup.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #576 of 775

Might not have anything to do with that, but the extension cable I got was pretty much crap. Really low volumes etc. The person I bought it from had opened the box though (got a good price though). Cables might be a weak spot?

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #577 of 775
  You could use that grado cable to test the driver, you wouldn't actually have to take the driver out of it's cup.

Actually, I jumped the gun when I saw the cable would be long enough. Wanted to keep the single sided connection (plus the old Grado cable was fubar above the splitter). Gutted the HP150 only to find a braided pair of conductors from the G-cable is quite a bit bigger than the stock wire. Going to take some wrestling to get the conductors snaked through the cups and headband - possibly some drill work.

Should have thought this through first
frown.gif

Might not have anything to do with that, but the extension cable I got was pretty much crap. Really low volumes etc. The person I bought it from had opened the box though (got a good price though). Cables might be a weak spot?

My cables are fine. Never used the extension, and tested the regular cable with my Fidelios and it worked fine. The only real problem I've had so far with the cable is the ridiculous memory those things have. Never been able to straighten or soften the thing

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #579 of 775
  Are you going to keep it single sided?

Sorry I missed that.

That was the plan. Might cut the locking collar off so I can use a different cable though. Normally I don't care much for single sided cables, but for some reason this one doesn't bother me too much. The biggest sticking point (literally and figuratively) is those bloody swivels. I can't figure out how to get them completely disassembled. Popped the cap off but not sure how the click mechanism is held in place. Since the 2 conductors of the Grado cable are close to twice the size of the stock wires, I'm having one heck of a time fishing them through. Might need to drill the holes out a size or two.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #580 of 775

Are you going to keep it single sided?

Sorry I missed that.

That was the plan. Might cut the locking collar off so I can use a different cable though. Normally I don't care much for single sided cables, but for some reason this one doesn't bother me too much. The biggest sticking point (literally and figuratively) is those bloody swivels. I can't figure out how to get them completely disassembled. Popped the cap off but not sure how the click mechanism is held in place. Since the 2 conductors of the Grado cable are close to twice the size of the stock wires, I'm having one heck of a time fishing them through. Might need to drill the holes out a size or two.

Why do you want to disassemble the swivels, keep the original wire between cups.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #583 of 775
  I think it will be hard to run a cable across that headband. If you need a double sided cable I have a short one I could give you.

I'll get the wire fed through or they'll die trying
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer. Firstly, I probably should check the driver and make sure it still is working correctly before I get too p-o'ed trying to fish the wire through. I got the earcup removed from the head band and removed from the bracket. Getting the wires from the earcup to the swivel wasn't too hard - the glue they use is kind of soft and rubbery so it was easy to remove. I should be able to use the original wire as a fishtape to get through the headband (haven't looked into disassembling the headband yet, but might be possible). Hopefully just some patience (and maybe a little dishsoap lube) will get things sorted

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #584 of 775

I think it will be hard to run a cable across that headband. If you need a double sided cable I have a short one I could give you.

I'll get the wire fed through or they'll die trying
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer. Firstly, I probably should check the driver and make sure it still is working correctly before I get too p-o'ed trying to fish the wire through. I got the earcup removed from the head band and removed from the bracket. Getting the wires from the earcup to the swivel wasn't too hard - the glue they use is kind of soft and rubbery so it was easy to remove. I should be able to use the original wire as a fishtape to get through the headband (haven't looked into disassembling the headband yet, but might be possible). Hopefully just some patience (and maybe a little dishsoap lube) will get things sorted

Good luck!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back