Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #6,587 of 9,173
Ok everyone, I have made a whole new thread for discussing modifications and upgrades users can do to their Z7 or are interested in learning about. @Whitigir feel free to add your upgrades there to start the thread off on the right foot. I will be directing everyone there from this thread if modification or upgrade questions arise. 

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794373/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #6,588 of 9,173
  I know what you mean.  I have that same combo and to me the bass sounds just right.  As far as the rest of the sound signature, I would imagine you'd have to spend substantially more to achieve those last bits of sound quality.  The synergy is just right.  YMMV of course because everyone has their own preferences.  I for one am VERY HAPPY especially at this price point.  However having said that, if I came into some money I may upgrade, but not the MDR7.  I love everything about that headphone

The Z7/LC combo has shown me the weakness of my DAC........
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #6,590 of 9,173

Oh my...

I have an HE-4 as well and one thing I wish my Z7 could do was to be able to have the sub-bass performance of my HE-4.

I am totally down for some modding at this point. It'll be fun too!

Well the MDR Z7 is never quite as fast as the HE 4, but it's very close. It's a tad more... solid, it's a touch more forward 

either way, for a closed back Dynamic it's darned impressive! 

Please move to the thread linked below for mods from me. Enjoy and many cheer to Z7 capabilities

well that's cool that you guys have a mod thread! An I guess I'll be moving over there xD 

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #6,591 of 9,173
Well the MDR Z7 is never quite as fast as the HE 4, but it's very close. It's a tad more... solid, it's a touch more forward 

either way, for a closed back Dynamic it's darned impressive! 

well that's cool that you guys have a mod thread! 

Yeah, isn't He4 Planar magnetic ? And being opened as well ? PM is faster than dynamic for sure, but it won't have that impacts and dynamic details, soundstage on an opened back is real vs closed one :D

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #6,592 of 9,173
Yeah, isn't He4 Planar magnetic ? And being opened as well ? PM is faster than dynamic for sure, but it won't have that impacts and dynamic details, soundstage on an opened back is real vs closed one
biggrin.gif

Well in terms of details, the HE 4 does really well from the Central mids forward. The only time the MDR Z7 has more detail is in the low mids, in terms of bass the MDR Z7 is a touch more forward so yea it does have a smidge more impact, but it's got a little more deacy as well

The HE 4's sub bass has more attack overall, but being an open back doesn't get that extra bit of umph from that little bit of Decay the MDR Z7 has, so they both compliment each other well. I'll admit for Movies the MDR Z7 is a treat! It tends to give me a little more time with EXPLOSIONS, where as the HE 4 is... well faster, an thats not always better

For music, how ever the HE 4 tends to edge out over the MDR Z7, every now an again I'll find an EDM track where the darker MDR Z7 really shines

I prefer Brighter headphones to Darker ones, an that said I'm still really impressed with what your mods have brought to the MDR Z7, in terms of bass it gives the HE 4 some good competition 

a quick viewing of a few scenes, from Pacific Rim an I'll admit the MDR Z7 adds a nice touch of UMPH to the foot steps! With the HE 4 it's more like a MPH, I miss out on that extra bit of thudding 

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #6,593 of 9,173
a quick viewing of a few scenes, from Pacific Rim an I'll admit the MDR Z7 adds a nice touch of UMPH to the foot steps! With the HE 4 it's more like a MPH, I miss out on that extra bit of thudding 

In terms of detail, so bass quality as opposed to quality, how do you feel the HE-4 stacks against the modded Z7?

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #6,595 of 9,173
  In terms of detail, so bass quality as opposed to quality, how do you feel the HE-4 stacks against the modded Z7?

eh find me on this thread 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794373/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread#post_12243158

I dont want to detract from the stock one xD 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #6,596 of 9,173
  Well you have piqued my curiosity.  Which DAC and what weakness or is that in another thread somewhere

I need a true desktop DAC.  I'm using the portable CLAS-db.  It's good for what it is, but something like a Gumby or DAC-19 would really be the bees knees.  Time to sell some stuff....

...and maybe an organ or two.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #6,597 of 9,173

I need a true desktop DAC.  I'm using the portable CLAS-db.  It's good for what it is, but something like a Gumby or DAC-19 would really be the bees knees.  Time to sell some stuff....

...and maybe an organ or two.

Oh.  Well, I've not heard the Gumby, but you can't go wrong with the DAC19.  I hope you won't need to sell two organs.  You can live without one, but two makes it really difficult

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #6,598 of 9,173
  Oh.  Well, I've not heard the Gumby, but you can't go wrong with the DAC19.  I hope you won't need to sell two organs.  You can live without one, but two makes it really difficult

hhhhhh nicely put

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #6,599 of 9,173
Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard (the controversial) AudioQuest NightHawk?

If you consider buying a semi-open headphone and look for something on the warm side, that has good bass, liquid smooth mids and good highs then it might be of interrest to you :)  

In fact, I confess as far as I am concerned I jumped ship and sold my Z7 after auditioning those, I couldn't justify keeping both and I don't absolutely need a closed back. 

I feel like they share many qualities with the Z7, although the soundstage is more intimate (curious, for a semi-open vs closed back but that's how I hear it) some areas are better like dynamics.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #6,600 of 9,173
  Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard (the controversial) AudioQuest NightHawk?

If you consider buying a semi-open headphone and look for something on the warm side, that has good bass, liquid smooth mids and good highs then it might be of interrest to you :)  

In fact, I confess as far as I am concerned I jumped ship and sold my Z7 after auditioning those, I couldn't justify keeping both and I don't absolutely need a closed back. 

I feel like they share many qualities with the Z7, although the soundstage is more intimate (curious, for a semi-open vs closed back but that's how I hear it) some areas are better like dynamics.

I've not heard the Night Hawks, but I've heard of them having Build Quality with things like the Hinges an other key compents :/ 

sound wise I've seen the charts an they seem to measure really well! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back