Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 9, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #6,571 of 9,173
I reviewed the Edition X last week and It slays my Z7 in everyway possible. Better bass, mids, treble, sound stage, 3D imaging. You name it it is better. BUT it is worth $1800 ($2400CAD) as compared to the $700CAD I paid for the Z7. It is also fully open back so not good except for quiet environments and so massive it makes the Z7 look like a portable LOL.

But if I win the lottery (or possibly save up for a year and sacrifice things to help justify such an expense) I will probably but one LOL.

I agree, right out of my Phone the HE X was a FREAKING mazing, out of the MDR Z7... I wasn't really impressed... or disappointed 

Still I've got a Modded MDR Z7 an it's really pretty nice, the bass is pretty unique an while it's very well closed in it does a great job layering within it self 

I suppose it's a dark intimate headphone 

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #6,573 of 9,173
2.5mm (HiFi Man) versus 3.5mm (Sony). Now I'm not sure if they will still fit, but I can test it and let you know as I had some custom adapters for my Z7 made as well as some for my 400i, which that cable is made for.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #6,574 of 9,173
Not surprisingly my 3.5mm Z7 sized adapter won't fit in the 2.5mm HE 400i cup so I would have to assume the reverse is true and the HiFi Man won't fit the Z7 cup.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6,575 of 9,173
Jan 11, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #6,576 of 9,173
  I absolutely LOVE my Z7!  Currently I'm running it balanced from my LC with silver Litz cables.  When I get the chance, I'm buying another pair as a back up.  Unless of course, Sony comes out with another flagship model very soon....like later this year

I've got to say the Z7 and the Liquid Carbon are a great pair.  I can't see anyone complaining about the bass with this setup...

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #6,577 of 9,173
Jan 11, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #6,579 of 9,173
To me Z7 has more bass than th900

Your a passionate person about your gear, lots of respect for sure. I can't agree, I think the Z7 loads up on the mid bass, but rolls off too much in sub bass, which of course I've said too often. The TH 900 has more articulate bass with some pretty awesome clarity. I think that clarity may at times, at least compared to a mid bass focused headphone, may make it sound like it has less bass. I felt the Fostex had better deep extension, and more impact. As you know, I'm still a big fan of the Z7, but I can't say I would ever say it bested the Fostex at anything. Subjective opinion of course.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #6,580 of 9,173
Your a passionate person about your gear, lots of respect for sure. I can't agree, I think the Z7 loads up on the mid bass, but rolls off too much in sub bass, which of course I've said too often. The TH 900 has more articulate bass with some pretty awesome clarity. I think that clarity may at times, at least compared to a mid bass focused headphone, may make it sound like it has less bass. I felt the Fostex had better deep extension, and more impact. As you know, I'm still a big fan of the Z7, but I can't say I would ever say it bested the Fostex at anything. Subjective opinion of course.

I agreed on all point if you compare stock for stock Z7-th900 there is no competition....lol th900 wins straight out. My Z7 is modded, and it has very good bass. Stock z7 is either love or hate, I am just a DIY folk, so I love tinkering my stuff to get what I want. Z7 has a lot of " potentials " to be good. Due to this stock Z7 love/hate relation, the Z7 now can be had for so cheap, I don't see why it is not at the value that it is.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #6,581 of 9,173
To me Z7 has more bass than th900

I agreed on all point if you compare stock for stock Z7-th900 there is no competition....lol th900 wins straight out. My Z7 is modded, and it has very good bass. Stock z7 is either love or hate, I am just a DIY folk, so I love tinkering my stuff to get what I want. Z7 has a lot of " potentials " to be good. Due to this stock Z7 love/hate relation, the Z7 now can be had for so cheap, I don't see why it is not at the value that it is.

ehm I'll voach for Whitigirs Z7 [I'm demo'ing it atm]

An compared to my LA D5k while his Z7 has less overall Sub Bass it has Slighty better extension q.q. His Z7 has the bass extension an response of the my HE 4 with just a touch of Closed Back Slam, it's REALLY impressive to see a Closed Back dynamic giving me such a dry heavy Sub Bass 

Though the HE 4 is still faster, but the two have such a different presentation it's hardly fair to say one is better than the other 

But there is NO sub Bass Roll off on this modded Z7 I've got 

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #6,582 of 9,173

I've got to say the Z7 and the Liquid Carbon are a great pair.  I can't see anyone complaining about the bass with this setup...

I know what you mean.  I have that same combo and to me the bass sounds just right.  As far as the rest of the sound signature, I would imagine you'd have to spend substantially more to achieve those last bits of sound quality.  The synergy is just right.  YMMV of course because everyone has their own preferences.  I for one am VERY HAPPY especially at this price point.  However having said that, if I came into some money I may upgrade, but not the MDR7.  I love everything about that headphone

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #6,584 of 9,173

ehm I'll voach for Whitigirs Z7 [I'm demo'ing it atm]

An compared to my LA D5k while his Z7 has less overall Sub Bass it has Slighty better extension q.q. His Z7 has the bass extension an response of the my HE 4 with just a touch of Closed Back Slam, it's REALLY impressive to see a Closed Back dynamic giving me such a dry heavy Sub Bass 

Though the HE 4 is still faster, but the two have such a different presentation it's hardly fair to say one is better than the other 

But there is NO sub Bass Roll off on this modded Z7 I've got 

Oh my...

I have an HE-4 as well and one thing I wish my Z7 could do was to be able to have the sub-bass performance of my HE-4.

I am totally down for some modding at this point. It'll be fun too!

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #6,585 of 9,173
  Favorite dac/amp with this?

I am currently using the 10th Anniversary Audio-gd DAC19 (w/Amanero USB) and Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon.  This is my end-game system unless I came into a lot of money, then I'd just upgrade to a full-on balanced system from the same manufacturers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back