Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #6,558 of 9,173
I absolutely LOVE my Z7!  Currently I'm running it balanced from my LC with silver Litz cables.  When I get the chance, I'm buying another pair as a back up.  Unless of course, Sony comes out with another flagship model very soon....like later this year

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #6,559 of 9,173
I absolutely LOVE my Z7!  Currently I'm running it balanced from my LC with silver Litz cables.  When I get the chance, I'm buying another pair as a back up.  Unless of course, Sony comes out with another flagship model very soon....like later this year

I doubt it ! But I am hoping and crossing my fingers though :D. Any 70mm biodynamic drivers will be just Ggggoooooddddd

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #6,562 of 9,173
  Is the Z7 really just an MDR 1A with better bass?

Never heard the MDR 1A to compare.  I would've picked up one myself but I heard there were some wind noise and possibly sound leakage due to the bass ports.  YMMV

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #6,563 of 9,173
let me start my response again I got confused which thread I was in LOL. I own the Z7 and bought the 1A briefly. I think the Z7 is not nearly as heavy handed in the bass, has better midrange, and more extended natural sounding treble. It also has much larger sound stage.

Having said all that. The 1A is a true portable option where as the Z7 is to big to really be considered portable. So depending on your requirements in that regard the 1A may be more preferable.

For me I returned the 1A because I needed a headphone that did not have wind noise as I live in a windy place. The port on the 1A whistles a ton. In the end I bought a Vmoda M100 which has worked out wonderfully for me.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #6,564 of 9,173
I'll start some initial impressions of the headphone, it's pretty closed in... the sound stage is not very wide at all an it's lacking a little bit in depth

how ever, within the rather small space it presents a nice level of tactility an detail, it does a really great job pulling out the Bass Track on Metallica's "The Shortest Straw" from the orignal CD master which is know for it's almost sucked out Bass Guitar Mastering, The bass  it sounds closed in,  though within that space is a lot of detail an a fair share of tactility 

Now the bad news, moving to the HE 4... the sound LITERALLY opens up... a LOT an I have a better level of Tactility an sub bass presentation. An ofc the bass Guitar is present with my HE 4

the same is true of my Modded W1000X, it  brings a better layered an more open sound stage at the expense of Sub Bass 

I'll say that this is a very unique headphone for sure 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #6,565 of 9,173

No, I had both at the same time. The 1A has in my mind nicer treble, but after that everything besides comforts goes to the Z7. The 1A is just an incredibly comfortable headphone. The other thing I noted was that at higher volumes the 1A felt strained and edgy but the Z7 held it together very nicely. The Z7 is the better design no doubt about it, but it isn't portable where the 1A is, so it depends on your primary mode of use. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #6,566 of 9,173
  I'll start some initial impressions of the headphone, it's pretty closed in... the sound stage is not very wide at all an it's lacking a little bit in depth

how ever, within the rather small space it presents a nice level of tactility an detail, it does a really great job pulling out the Bass Track on Metallica's "The Shortest Straw" from the orignal CD master which is know for it's almost sucked out Bass Guitar Mastering, The bass  it sounds closed in,  though within that space is a lot of detail an a fair share of tactility 

Now the bad news, moving to the HE 4... the sound LITERALLY opens up... a LOT an I have a better level of Tactility an sub bass presentation. An ofc the bass Guitar is present with my HE 4

the same is true of my Modded W1000X, it  brings a better layered an more open sound stage at the expense of Sub Bass 

I'll say that this is a very unique headphone for sure 

Ditto, I would agree that the Z7 isn't the most expansive sounding headphone, but it is still a very nice headphone and those who like this type of sound signature will be treated to excellent comfort and build quality. At full retail, no, not a solid value, but at the street value certainly a headphone to consider. Regardless, for the money the 400i is actually I think a better headphone, but it isn't closed.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #6,567 of 9,173
I reviewed the Edition X last week and It slays my Z7 in everyway possible. Better bass, mids, treble, sound stage, 3D imaging. You name it it is better. BUT it is worth $1800 ($2400CAD) as compared to the $700CAD I paid for the Z7. It is also fully open back so not good except for quiet environments and so massive it makes the Z7 look like a portable LOL.

But if I win the lottery (or possibly save up for a year and sacrifice things to help justify such an expense) I will probably buy one LOL.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #6,568 of 9,173
I reviewed the Edition X last week and It slays my Z7 in everyway possible. Better bass, mids, treble, sound stage, 3D imaging. You name it it is better. BUT it is worth $1800 ($2400CAD) as compared to the $700CAD I paid for the Z7. It is also fully open back so not good except for quiet environments and so massive it makes the Z7 look like a portable LOL.

But if I win the lottery (or possibly save up for a year and sacrifice things to help justify such an expense) I will probably but one LOL.

How is the mid range of the z5? does seem interesting

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #6,570 of 9,173
How is the mid range of the z5? does seem interesting
I actually like the Z5 a bit more than Z7 mainly due to the more immersive 3D imaging. The Z5 has a bit heavier bass, a bit more intimate and engaging midrange, and a bit more relaxed treble. They both have a similar signature though. From the same family anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back