Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #6,616 of 9,173
  I was talking to someone because i told them that i want both of the z7 and the fostex, however the person said that both of the headphones are very similar and there would be no point in getting both of them. is this true? i mean i always wanted a woodie, but i must say that the construction of the z7 is amazing with the magnesium housing and the sheer lightness of the headphones, not to mention it is also made in Japan. Also due to the decline in the Canadian dollar the THX00 would cost nearly $600 CAD i can get the z7 for like $500 CAD. Feel free to voice your opinions people!!

The Th-X00 is quite a bit more harsh in the highs and lacks the texture you will get from the Z7. The Z7 is more laid back but can make you feel more of the low-mids. The Th-X00 might have a slightly wider sound stage because of the treble extension. Both headphones have a nice low end to them, and I personally think the low end pairs better with the laid back sound of the Z7, unless all you listen to is rap and hip hop.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #6,617 of 9,173
My Z7 gets way more head time then my Lawton TH600 (level 2 plus a balanced recable mod).  I need my mids more present I guess...

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #6,618 of 9,173
when you guys are saying that the Z7 is better, are you referring to modded versions or just stock? because i don't plan to do any modifications to mine personally. I mean i have demoed them in store but it was quite loud in there so i couldn't get a true test. but from what i heard it sounded similar to my D600 but with more clarity and less harshness on the highs, so more of a smoothed out signature.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #6,619 of 9,173
  when you guys are saying that the Z7 is better, are you referring to modded versions or just stock? because i don't plan to do any modifications to mine personally. I mean i have demoed them in store but it was quite loud in there so i couldn't get a true test. but from what i heard it sounded similar to my D600 but with more clarity and less harshness on the highs, so more of a smoothed out signature.

I didn't do any dampening to the internals of my Z7, just changed the input connectors. Take my impressions as if they were a stock set. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #6,621 of 9,173
I was talking to someone because i told them that i want both of the z7 and the fostex, however the person said that both of the headphones are very similar and there would be no point in getting both of them. is this true? i mean i always wanted a woodie, but i must say that the construction of the z7 is amazing with the magnesium housing and the sheer lightness of the headphones, not to mention it is also made in Japan. Also due to the decline in the Canadian dollar the THX00 would cost nearly $600 CAD i can get the z7 for like $500 CAD. Feel free to voice your opinions people!!

If you meant that was me, then what I meant is that Z7 and thx00 is very different in sound signature, worth getting both. Z7 is warmer and darker, thx00 is brighter and more transparent...moreover Z7 is plastic drivers, and thx00 is paper driver...so no, they are not similar at all.

Thx00 is fairly similar to th900 and that is what I have. IMO it is worth getting both of these for different characteristics and sound signature.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #6,622 of 9,173

I didn't do any dampening to the internals of my Z7, just changed the input connectors. Take my impressions as if they were a stock set. 

Didn't you also upgraded the internal driver cables ?
biggrin.gif

Yeah I did, but I can't provide any impressions of those changes as I did those mods after only a couple hours of owning them. I have a bad habit, and it's modding the hell out of everything I have.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #6,623 of 9,173
Yeah I did, but I can't provide any impressions of those changes as I did those mods after only a couple hours of owning them. I have a bad habit, and it's modding the hell out of everything I have.

I can assure you that changing the internal cables would dramatically affects SQ on z7 :cool:

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #6,624 of 9,173
Thanks everyone! i really appreciate the prompt replies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back