Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 14, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #6,631 of 9,173
Ahh... I guess it could be a good thing? *Shrug*

It is, as our ears lobes are pointed foward, so we are made aware of the things around in front of us more accurately. Projecting the drivers fully paralleled to this angle will produce the most soundstage and positional accuracy that can be reproduced in the music that you hear. It really works.

My th900 stock pads are angled, but it is not as thick so I have to adjust it many times before I find it. However the Z7 will always sit on top of it. Comfort ability, I don't think anything out there can beat Z7 design yet. Sound quality can be subjectively good or bad, depends on your taste.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #6,634 of 9,173
I finally feel I can start to mod my Z7 now that I have the HE-400i.  I didn't want to before because I didn't want to mess something up and have my top headphone sounding bad, not that I think I'm going to but you never know.

I'm going to try a couple of different damping materials and see how that changes the signature and maybe rewiring them from the drivers and get a upgraded cable, though that's not high on my list as I've never done anything like that before.

One question, is there just the single screw you need to take out to remove the ear pads?

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #6,635 of 9,173
  Fidelio X2 also has angled drivers. I believe it creates a wider soundstage.

So do the NightHawk there are a bunch of headphones now using this

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #6,636 of 9,173
  IMO (<<Bold, Italics, and underlined) The Z7, all day. 

The Z7 feels more solid, you can tell it had much better engineering just based on how it's tuned, and is worlds more comfortable STOCK. Why do you think you don't see anyone pad swapping on the Z7? It's because it is at the highest comfort as it could be when it left Sony. If I won a TH-900, I swear to god I would sell it and buy a Z7 and a steak dinner.

Sorry Fostex lovers, Z7 wins. 

If anyone wants to know what a TH-X00 sounds like, just read any review of a D5000, the TH-X00 uses the same drivers, same pads, and same cup depth;;;; it's a revived and rebranded Denon D5000. Trust me, I've disassembled MANY of them already.

The Th-X00 is quite a bit more harsh in the highs and lacks the texture you will get from the Z7. The Z7 is more laid back but can make you feel more of the low-mids. The Th-X00 might have a slightly wider sound stage because of the treble extension. Both headphones have a nice low end to them, and I personally think the low end pairs better with the laid back sound of the Z7, unless all you listen to is rap and hip hop.

My Z7 gets way more head time then my Lawton TH600 (level 2 plus a balanced recable mod).  I need my mids more present I guess...

Well good news, I'll have my TH X00, LA D5k an Whiti's MDR Z7 to compare all three back in my possesion here shortly! 

As far as the mids go, I think the MDR Z7 an LA D5k are the best, both are cleaner than the TH X00, how ever the Z7 is much DARKER an cleaner in the mids low mids, an the LA D5k is MUCH Drier an equally as clean as the Z7 in it's upper mids, the TH X00 has a more even tone to it's mids in general, from Low to central to upper, but it also has more Bloom in those mids, I'm not the biggest fan of that bloom, 

As far as bass goes, the sadly the MDR Z7 eches over the LA D5k, it's got a touch more... tactility in the sub bass, the two are hand in hand for mid bass though. How ever the LA D5k has better details in the upper mid range an treble, not to mention it's very spacious sound in comparison to the some what "closed in" sound of the MDR Z7 

For my preferances, I prefer a drier/brighter more open sound to the darker/but still dry "intimate" sound of the MDR Z7 

Sadly though I've never heard a stock D5k :/ so I have no idea how it compares to the TH X00 honestly. I know that my modded LA D5k an TH X00 are different animals at this point. The TH X00 is the "fun" one with a nice touch of bloom in the mids, where as the LA D5k is overall drier, so much so that I REALLY like it with my Project Starlight 

An I've now got a AH A100 in my poession :D [also balanced] not sure what's been done internally, but it's a cute little headphone! I think it retailed for like $499 back in the day, so it's sorta in the same price range [but she's a limited edtion >:D

But Honestly, I like the central/Upper Mid range of the Denons better than I do the MDR Z7 or the TH X00, botht eh MDR Z7 an TH X00 are... not suited for my Hybrid Tube, not because of the noise [the Starlight is REALLY quiet with it's stock JJ ECC82 tube] but the mids an bass get to much decay an bloom :/ thankfully the LA D5k sounds just right out of it :D 

I finally feel I can start to mod my Z7 now that I have the HE-400i.  I didn't want to before because I didn't want to mess something up and have my top headphone sounding bad, not that I think I'm going to but you never know.

I'm going to try a couple of different damping materials and see how that changes the signature and maybe rewiring them from the drivers and get a upgraded cable, though that's not high on my list as I've never done anything like that before.

One question, is there just the single screw you need to take out to remove the ear pads?

Grats man! Both Peterek an Whitigir I'm sure would help you do any mods, Whiti's modded the crap outa his Z7 an made a post about it, an Pete might as well do modding for a living ;3 he might one day

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #6,638 of 9,173
Hey Guys,

Looking for a pair of MDR-Z7. If you guys know of anyone/ personally who is interested in selling theirs please let me know :)

Look forward to joining the gang soon!

Kevin

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #6,639 of 9,173
  Hey Guys,

Looking for a pair of MDR-Z7. If you guys know of anyone/ personally who is interested in selling theirs please let me know :)

Look forward to joining the gang soon!

Kevin

You should look on Canuckaudiomart. That is where I found my Z7s and with the Canadian dollar taking an ass kicking you are far better off to find it used in Canada without a doubt. Don't forget, the US and Canadian retail prices were harmonized to the national currency unless I'm mistaken so Americans did not pay less than Canadians. At least that is what I found when I was shopping for these.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #6,640 of 9,173
I ordered some of that porous paper tape along with some Silverstone damping material and some thin foam strips with adhesive on one side.  I don't plan on using all of them, I just want to have options to see what works best as far as damping goes.  I hope to even out the bass the most and if it improves in other areas well that's just gravy.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6,641 of 9,173
My angled MDR-Z7 will be catching dust 
frown.gif
 RIP because of this

... as I revert back to earphones... Sony earphones... though... 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #6,642 of 9,173
  If anyone wants to know what a TH-X00 sounds like, just read any review of a D5000, the TH-X00 uses the same drivers, same pads, and same cup depth;;;; it's a revived and rebranded Denon D5000. Trust me, I've disassembled MANY of them already.

I disagree. Having owned D5000 in the past along with the current TH-X00, i would not say they are quite that close to each other. Treble on X00 is smoother than I remember on the D5k. Also, bass to me isn't as boomy. I wasn't a huge fan of the D5k, I think if you had both side by side you'd hear the differences. 

Overall, I think the X00 is a better, smoother sounding headphone. The design and cups and appearance may be very similar but I'm very doubtful of it having the exact same driver.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #6,643 of 9,173

I disagree. Having owned D5000 in the past along with the current TH-X00, i would not say they are that close to each other. Treble on X00 is smoother than I remember on the D5k. Also, bass to me isn't as boomy. I wasn't a huge fan of the D5k, I think if you had both side by side you'd hear the differences. 

Overall, I think the X00 is a better, smoother sounding headphone. The design and cups and appearance may be very similar but I'm very doubtful of it having the exact same driver.

I'd call it valid if you did an actual A/B with them, but basing it off memory isn't accurate. I just bought my second HD700 and remember it sounding differently than it does now. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #6,644 of 9,173
Someone should do an a/b on that, I wouldn't be the one since like I said, I wasn't a big fan of the D5K.

Memory isn't the most reliable indicator, I would agree, but have you heard them both side by side, either?

I think calling them basically the same headphone (pads/drivers/etc) is stepping a bit out of boundary without hearing them side by side.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #6,645 of 9,173
  Someone should do an a/b on that, I wouldn't be the one since like I said, I wasn't a fan of the D5K.

Memory isn't the most reliable indicator, I would agree, but have you heard them both side by side, either?

I think calling them basically the same headphone (pads/drivers/etc) is stepping a bit out of boundary without hearing them side by side.

I haven't had them side by side but I have had many of each opened up in front of me. The only difference I can see that could affect acoustics is the cups are made of different woods.

Yes, someone please do an actual side by side so we can settle this!

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back