Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 21, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #6,661 of 9,173
They are different enough sounding that having both would be great. I still wish I had kept my Z7 as I really did like it whatever small quibbles I had with it. It was a very well done headphone and supremely comfortable.

There's just something about the Z7 I love and I can't really put my finger on it. Is the HE-400i a better sounding headphone over all, yes, but I just love the smoothness of the Z7 and it has such a forgiving sound yet still sounds detailed and precise. I also think its one of the best built headphones I've had with comfort that's unmatched.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6,662 of 9,173
There's just something about the Z7 I love and I can't really put my finger on it. Is the HE-400i a better sounding headphone over all, yes, but I just love the smoothness of the Z7 and it has such a forgiving sound yet still sounds detailed and precise. I also think its one of the best built headphones I've had with comfort that's unmatched.

Me too.  I just had a 4 hour session with it, pair to PHA-3.   My HE-6 has been collecting dust.   Though they are different the z7 is just that much for fun in listening.  

(BTW the HE-6 is for sale.)

I will be receiving my XBA-Z5 tonite..  I wondering how it will play along with the z7.

I still has complete Astell&Kern setup that I am afraid to send in the Purchase Order..    
AK380, Layla, and dock.    

I wonder will that put all my current headphone gear out of commission ?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #6,663 of 9,173
I have a PM3 and had a Z7 and while both are very good, having owned an HE 560 I am shocked you prefer those headphones over the HE-6 which is reputed to be when well driven still right up there with any of the current crop of TOTL. Still, we prefer what we prefer right?​

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #6,664 of 9,173
  I have a PM3 and had a Z7 and while both are very good, having owned an HE 560 I am shocked you prefer those headphones over the HE-6 which is reputed to be when well driven still right up there with any of the current crop of TOTL. Still, we prefer what we prefer right?​

there is nothing wrong with the HE6.   In someways it is still better.   But with the z7 just turn it on .   and it is awesome.  
with the HE6.   Now I have to go to my main system,   turn on my Esoteric K-01, then my PrimaLuma Int-Amp HP, and then I could listen.  what a drag.  then after 1-2 hour my neck is starting to feel the overall weight of it.  OMG ..  Yes it sound good, but painful.

and mainly can not be mobile around the house.   especially in the bedroom, 

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #6,665 of 9,173
I'm considering picking up one of these with the Kimber cable. Does it really make an audible difference? I've had headfiers whom I respect greatly stress to me that a cable mod won't make an appreciable difference in a headphone (unless the stock cable is damaged, of course).

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #6,666 of 9,173
I'm considering picking up one of these with the Kimber cable. Does it really make an audible difference? I've had headfiers whom I respect greatly stress to me that a cable mod won't make an appreciable difference in a headphone (unless the stock cable is damaged, of course).

The Kimber cable was my first upgrade cable for anything but as I was in japan, I got them relatively cheap. 
I was also skeptical but I find it does make a big difference in sound in a very good way. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #6,667 of 9,173
Yeah, Z7 is best paired with more neutral, brighter sources
wink.gif

or high quality amps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Got this Sony branded pouch for my Z7 + Kimber Kable.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6,668 of 9,173

While it might be possible that the stock cable has a higher resistance or some weird capacitive load that a player handles in a bad way (all these cases are defects in my book, should not happen), I would not expect any changes at all. It does look much nicer than the stock cable though, and it has a length that fits my usage better. It feels much better as well and gives them a unique appearance. To me that was worth some money.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #6,670 of 9,173

or high quality amps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Got this Sony branded pouch for my Z7 + Kimber Kable.

I too would like to hear your impressions of the latest flavor of Kimber...

And where did you find them?

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6,671 of 9,173
I'm considering picking up one of these with the Kimber cable. Does it really make an audible difference? I've had headfiers whom I respect greatly stress to me that a cable mod won't make an appreciable difference in a headphone (unless the stock cable is damaged, of course).YES, ​y

Yes, it made a different.  

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #6,672 of 9,173
That is excellent !
biggrin.gif
Newest type of the cables as well
wink.gif
. Now i am missing my Z7
redface.gif

haha I'll have it in the mail for you Thursday man! On it's way home

I've enjoyed it an I'll be doing a write up here in the next two days [before I ship it out] 

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #6,673 of 9,173
haha I'll have it in the mail for you Thursday man! On it's way home

I've enjoyed it an I'll be doing a write up here in the next two days [before I ship it out] 

That is awesome :D, thanks for taking care of it and having a good time of it. I am very glad that you enjoy it :). After all, enjoying the music is all of our goals

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #6,674 of 9,173
That is awesome
biggrin.gif
, thanks for taking care of it and having a good time of it. I am very glad that you enjoy it
smily_headphones1.gif
. After all, enjoying the music is all of our goals

well enjoying music and helping others do so ;3 is the name of the game right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back