Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #9,331 of 9,645
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #9,332 of 9,645
Any impressions of new cables for the Z1R would be great. I've been using the Sony-Kimber (regular 1/4 inch plug) for several years now and still a fan. Looking for any particular impressions of vocals. FWIW, still love the Z1R after owning them since they were first introduced.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #9,333 of 9,645
Lucky me! I had set the package to be held at a courier store anticipating I would pick it up after my business trip, but it arrived there before I left! So I picked up the Z1R on my way out to the trip. Now that I'm settled for the night, I'll give these a listen with my ZX707 Walkman.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #9,336 of 9,645
After many years since I tested it, I found one in great condition. Finally :wink:

20231209_162319.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #9,337 of 9,645
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #9,339 of 9,645
I think it's not that simple.
I have the Z1R and my brother a 909 (the open counterpart), the sub are deeper on the former, and more textured. With a test signal at 40 Hz, raising the volume will distort the Fostex first. Sure, isn't the 900, but the driver is the same.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #9,340 of 9,645
so how does the Z1R handle sub bass? Better than fostex?
I very briefly tried the TH900 MK2. My impression was they seemed to be more V-shaped with very deep sub-bass and extended treble. The Z1R doesn't disappoint for sub-bass, but if you want to take it to another level those Fostex might be for you. To me they made the Z1R seem more balanced.
*I didn't compare side by side, I purchased the Z1R a couple of months later. This was from a 10 minute demo from my WM1Z.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #9,341 of 9,645
*I didn't compare side by side, I purchased the Z1R a couple of months later.
It's more or less the same how I felt it, too.
It really depends on the whole line and what you listen to, where one could be in favour of another, in my case.
The Sub-bass in Fostex is a monster.
When you listen to music with a powerful sub-bass, you need a really good tamer so they become obedient :)
Sony can do that by itself with amazing results.
It's nice having them both :)

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #9,342 of 9,645
Spent way too long listening to these the past two nights. I should have gotten these headphones years ago. But maybe I wouldn't have appreciated them back then the way I do now.

On sub-bass, I think it's present and heard/felt, but it's not that prominent in the sound. The Z1R has more mid and upper bass, so those parts are more prominent in the mix, while the sub-bass undergirds those, felt and noticed, but in a background capacity.

The Z1R sounds very open to me, with a good spatial presentation. I value openness and space in sound a lot. Vocal lines are very prominent. I don't generally notice treble sharpness, at least on my Walkman, but I suspect it will show itself on a few tracks. I'd be interested in trying out the Z1R on a neutral chain to see how it fares.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #9,344 of 9,645
And I'm finding that it's worthwhile finding what it synergizes with. I already liked it with the TT2 or Violectric, enough to get me curious about pairing it with Sony's own TA-ZH1ES. Not disappointed, although not necessarily better, just a different flavor in that pairing.

But then I had the luck (knock on wood) to happen upon a DMP-Z1. I realized from the first track that this unit takes the Z1R to a higher level of performance. The sound grows, it's more impactful, it becomes immersive and addictive. The vocals gain an organic quality. I didn't think the Z1R can compete in these attributes with something like ZMFs on an OTL amp. I'm surprised.

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #9,345 of 9,645
And I'm finding that it's worthwhile finding what it synergizes with. I already liked it with the TT2 or Violectric, enough to get me curious about pairing it with Sony's own TA-ZH1ES. Not disappointed, although not necessarily better, just a different flavor in that pairing.

But then I had the luck (knock on wood) to happen upon a DMP-Z1. I realized from the first track that this unit takes the Z1R to a higher level of performance. The sound grows, it's more impactful, it becomes immersive and addictive. The vocals gain an organic quality. I didn't think the Z1R can compete in these attributes with something like ZMFs on an OTL amp. I'm surprised.
That's high praise indeed comparing to ZMF's on OTL. I too can't get over how good it sounds and is elevated though DMP-Z1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back